Core Exercise Recommendations

Options
I am getting ready to modify my workout program to incorporate more core exercises. I have read that crunches alone aren't sufficient so I would love feedback on what core exercises you have found most productive at achieving results. If you could post a link to a youtube video of the said exercise movement that would be even better, thanks in advance!

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Pallof press. I can't cut and paste with my phone sorry
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    bruhaha007 wrote: »
    I am getting ready to modify my workout program to incorporate more core exercises. I have read that crunches alone aren't sufficient so I would love feedback on what core exercises you have found most productive at achieving results. If you could post a link to a youtube video of the said exercise movement that would be even better, thanks in advance!

I'm a proponent of compound lifts to utilize your time in the gym better instead of direct ab work. If you have tons of time to spend hours in the gym, then isolation exercises are fine; I need to be out in an hour.

For compound exercises: deadlifts, squats, good mornings, anything where you have to keep your core engaged to support the lift.

For isolation exercises: side bends, planks, ab wheel rollouts, landmines, etc.
  • bruhaha007
    bruhaha007 Posts: 333 Member
    Options

Awesome, ty! I hadn't heard of that exercise or seen it before. I think I found a link to it though and I'll research it more. Appreciate the tip!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g921oqINXFQ
  • bruhaha007
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

I'm a proponent of compound lifts to utilize your time in the gym better instead of direct ab work. If you have tons of time to spend hours in the gym, then isolation exercises are fine; I need to be out in an hour.

For compound exercises: deadlifts, squats, good mornings, anything where you have to keep your core engaged to support the lift.

Great tip auddii! I am doing Romanian deadlifts and squats already so guess I have a good start. :)
  • reisbaron
    reisbaron Posts: 30 Member
    Options

Great tip auddii! I am doing Romanian deadlifts and squats already so guess I have a good start. :)

Agreed. Nothing builds your core better than heavy squats and deadlifts. Good luck!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    reisbaron wrote: »

Agreed. Nothing builds your core better than heavy squats and deadlifts. Good luck!

Master doing L-sits, V-sits, front and back levers and dragon & press flags, just from squats & deads...ain't happening.
  • bruhaha007
    Options
    rybo wrote: »

Master doing L-sits, V-sits, front and back levers and dragon & press flags, just from squats & deads...ain't happening.

Great tips @rybo Those are new to me as well, I am learning so much, thank you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFVRzjLGtl0
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Squats build your core?! Where my abs at then!? Haha
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I love doing variations on the Roman Chair! Side-to-side lifts, rotations, knee-ups, kick outs, etc. Although, my abs are definitely not poppin' yet so maybe I should be the one taking advice in this situation.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Are you doing weighted squats with progressive resistance and properly bracing and stabilizing your core when you squat?
  • bruhaha007
    Options
    Thanks for the additional exercises @peaceout_aly ! I know for me personally I need to improve my diet and get much leaner or I will never see my abs regardless of how hard I work on any of these exercises.
  • harrybananas
    harrybananas Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Preferably low to high woodchop. If not, then high to low version which to me seems easier because of gravity.

Cable-Chop.jpg
  • reisbaron
    Options
    rybo wrote: »

I didn't say "just" from squats and deads, but in my experience nothing has built my core better. Telling a novice to "master" anything in order to achieve a short-term goal is not very useful. And the progressions that will get someone to actually sustain an L-sit or V-sit for a reasonable amount of time (let's forget mastering it, please) as an accessory exercise for core building is not nearly as easy. It also carries far less bang for your buck vs. full-body lifting movements. If he wants to be a gymnast, great, master the L-sit. If he wants to build his core, while getting the ancillary benefits of building the strength of his entire lower body simultaneously, squats and deads are a great choice.
  • bruhaha007
    Options
    Thanks @harrybananas If it guarantees me abs like that I might have to shed the shirt at the gym as well.
  • AbigailC17
    AbigailC17 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    My favorite is cable crunches
  • bruhaha007
    Options
    Thanks @mayabardon Looks like they are doing the trick!
  • reisbaron
    Options

They are there. Not seeing them is 100% related to diet, not crunches.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    As mentioned, compound movements. Another to add would be farmer walks. Rollouts with an ab wheel are great but need to work up to them.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/anterior-core-training
  • AbigailC17
    AbigailC17 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    True! I forgot about that well I always tell myself "Abs are made in the gym but revealed in the kitchen!" :D I do love cable crunches though hehe
  • mandyloose123
    mandyloose123 Posts: 21 Member
    Options

Awesome, ty! I hadn't heard of that exercise or seen it before. I think I found a link to it though and I'll research it more. Appreciate the tip!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g921oqINXFQ

Love this! Thanks for the video :)