How to behave in a party?!

My best friend will throw a pizza party night this Saturday and I have just started indoor cycling (spinning) classes, so I have been taking my diet very seriously and I am not really into the idea of escaping from it even for a day. Therefore I am confused as to what to do... hahaha. She is my best friend so refusing the food would be even ruder than usual. Moreover, it will be probably the only food available there and on top of that, I will most certainly be hungry since I will just have left work - I am surely not willing to starve, though. Please, give me advices, tips, some orientation and tell me what you would do in my place!

Replies

• 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    I would go to the party and have fun. Work 1 slice into your goal and bring a salad (or whatever) to fill you up. It would be rude if you said "I am not eating that digusting calorie laden pizza". It isn't rude to say "no thank you".

Your best friend should support you. If they don't that's the issue, not pizza.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Bring a salad to share. Eat 1-2 slices of pizza. Drink water or unsweetened tea.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Go to party.
    Eat pizza.
    Try not to break anything, spill anything, or insult anyone.
    Don't get so drunk that you end up embarrassing yourself.
    Have fun.

This is how I try to behave at a party. I'm not always successful at all of them though...
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Eat a slice, make sure it's a good size. Avoid seconds, use your "please and thank you"s, and have a good time!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    having a slice or two of pizza for dinner is no different than any other dinner.
  • SparrowHawkCL
    SparrowHawkCL Posts: 1 Member
    Take a napkin and discreetly blot the excess grease off your slice of pizza. Hopefully there will be a veggie option and not only pepperoni! Good idea the others are suggesting to bring a salad to share.
  • itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    Right before the party, sabotage your appetite with, say, a protein shake, or some eggs, and a bunch of water. Then, when you're at the party, have a slice or two of pizza. This way you won't be super hungry, you won't seem rude, and you won't eat enough calories to make any difference in your momentum.

These types of things are going to keep happening, and it's best to figure out how to navigate them without drawing attention, appearing rude, or derailing your progress. Even if you eat at a surplus, don't sweat it. If you lost the weight before, you can lose it again.
  • kat_princess12
    kat_princess12 Posts: 109 Member
    Plan for the calories in a slice or two of pizza. Take a big salad to share with everyone (it's a great side for pizza, anyway) and fill up on that. You can also just eat the toppings and cheese, leaving the crust.
  • itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Go to party.
    Eat pizza.
    Have fun.

This is how I try to behave at a party. I'm not always successful at all of them though...

This thorough and earnest answer made me giggle a bit. While this is a good answer to the specific question OP is asking in the title, I don't get the impression she's looking for tips about general social behavior. If I'm right, she's asking about how to handle the specific situation within the party involving food, and how to behave with respect to that.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    edited February 2016
    Pizza is about as perfect as a food as has ever been made from a macros standpoint. It hits the three major categories (pair with alcohol to hit the 4th. lol) pretty hard for a reasonable calorie amount. Most regular size slices w/ pepperoni (1/8th of a large) are somewhere in the vicinity of 300 - 350 calories. So, if you skimp a little throughout the day, and get some extra calorie burn in somewhere, you should be able to fit a couple of slices along with a side for around 1000cals.

Really, not bad at all, if you ask me.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Also I eat pizza probably once a week, while I was losing weight, as well as while I am maintaining.
    There is nothing inherently bad or unhealthy about pizza. There are many different varieties and ways to make it fit within pretty much any calorie alotment.

One thing I do when I know I have an event where I will be wanting to indulge more than usual is I will bank calories in the days leading up to the event, maybe 100 or so/day depending on how low your calorie alotment is already. That will give you an extra 500 calories for the party on Saturday, which will easily cover two pieces of most any kind of pizza. If you work out that day as you mentioned, that will give you room for dessert too.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    One day of indulging in a couple slices of pizza won't hurt anything. Now, don't go eat a whole pie, but a couple of slices will be fine. You may go over calories, but one day won't hurt you. You're better off enjoying the party and the company of friends than spending the time worrying about calories. If you're really concerned, do a bit more exercise the day before or the day after. It'll balance out. Have fun!
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Also this:

oXXLh.jpg
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited February 2016
    Go to party.
    Eat pizza.
    Have fun.

This thorough and earnest answer made me giggle a bit. While this is a good answer to the specific question OP is asking in the title, I don't get the impression she's looking for tips about general social behavior. If I'm right, she's asking about how to handle the specific situation within the party involving food, and how to behave with respect to that.

I think it applies perfectly to the specific situation!
  • PindoramaAiyra
    PindoramaAiyra Posts: 3 Member
    Go to party.
    Eat pizza.
    Have fun.

Also this:

oXXLh.jpg

Those made me laugh so much hahahah thank you for the witty comments!

Everybody else, thank you so much! Your replies were so, so helpful. I am sure about what to do now: I'll work out on Saturday, eat something before the party, once I'm there I'll eat about 2 slices when I get hungry and drink a lot of water, not only to fill up my stomach but also to help block the temptation for soda. I appreciate all of your comments, and once more thank you very much! xoxo
  • Go ahead and eat your pizzas. Like what previous posters said, go easy on your breakfast and lunch and do some workout so that you can balance your calories. I just have to mention something here. Losing weight and staying healthy should be a life long commitment. So a couple of days in a life long period wouldn't do much harm:)
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Right before the party, sabotage your appetite with, say, a protein shake, or some eggs, and a bunch of water. Then, when you're at the party, have a slice or two of pizza. This way you won't be super hungry, you won't seem rude, and you won't eat enough calories to make any difference in your momentum.

These types of things are going to keep happening, and it's best to figure out how to navigate them without drawing attention, appearing rude, or derailing your progress. Even if you eat at a surplus, don't sweat it. If you lost the weight before, you can lose it again.

This! OP, I'm glad you received such good advice from everyone and are able to come up with a plan. This is a long-term thing so might as well figure it out now. Enjoy!
  • PindoramaAiyra
    PindoramaAiyra Posts: 3 Member
    Go ahead and eat your pizzas. Like what previous posters said, go easy on your breakfast and lunch and do some workout so that you can balance your calories. I just have to mention something here. Losing weight and staying healthy should be a life long commitment. So a couple of days in a life long period wouldn't do much harm:)
    BZAH10 wrote: »

This! OP, I'm glad you received such good advice from everyone and are able to come up with a plan. This is a long-term thing so might as well figure it out now. Enjoy!

Thanks a lot!!
  • Diana6ft
    Diana6ft Posts: 126 Member
    I would eat more food throughout the day so you're not starving when you get there. I wouldn't have a problem seeming rude (although I don't think it's rude to not eat a lot). My issue would be will power and self discipline, so, if it were me, I'd try to show up without feeling starved.