1200 calorie a day food plan

Options
Hello,
Does anyone follow a 1200 calorie a day food plan? I need examples of something to follow for breakfast, lunch, dinner and two snacks. Thanks.

Replies

• myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Eat more.
  • allora770
    allora770 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Why are you only eating 1200 calories? Do you exercise?
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Eat more.

+1

OP, why are you only eating 1200 calories?

• flaminica
    flaminica Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    Does anyone follow a 1200 calorie a day food plan? I need examples of something to follow for breakfast, lunch, dinner and two snacks. Thanks.

I followed a 1200 per day plan for almost a year. I am currently in my first year of maintenance.

First things first. I see you are 65 years old. Your TDEE will be on the low side because of your age, and if you told MFP you wanted to lose two pounds a week it will almost inevitably default to assigning you 1200 calories per day. This is not always (or even usually) necessary. Even allowing for age and gender, 1200 is too low a number if you are much over 5'3" or aiming to lose anything under forty pounds or so. It's a "nuclear option" calorie budget best left to the very tiny and/or morbidly obese, and benefits from medical supervision. If you do not fall into this category, I suggest you revisit the guided Goals page and select a less aggressive regimen.

That being said, I've done this and there is no realistic way on 1200 per day that you can plan three meals and two snacks, unless you choose to define a handful of raw vegetables as a snack. My meal plan was generally two full meals and a light collation.

Welcome to MFP and good luck.
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I've done pretty close. usually plain oatmeal w/fresh or frozen berries for breakfast. maybe a sandwich on low cal bread like healthy life thats 35 calories/slice. with ham, 1/2 oz cheese, and heavy veggies like cucumber, lettuce and tomato. and a "normal" balanced dinner of around 500 calories. u can pretty much make anything at home for around 500 calories. and had 100-200 for an after dinner snack if you wanted. or you could use those extra calories for a snack during the day instead.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    nikkole831 wrote: »
    I'm suppose to be doing a 1200 calorie daily diet as well. For myself a 1200 calorie in diet is recommended for safe weight loss providing my size and activity level.

Here's the thing. 1200 IS appropriate for a small percentage of women. Very petite and/or seniors. If this does not describe you, then you put in an aggressive weekly weight loss goal.

Also consider. MFP gives you 1200 BEFORE exercise. So if you exercise, you earn more calories.

Pound per week goals
    75+ lbs set to lose 2 lb range
    Between 40 - 75 lbs set to lose 1.5 lb range
    Between 25-40 lbs set to lose 1 lb range
    Between 15-25 lbs set to lose 1 -.50 lb range
    Less than 15 lbs set to lose 0.5 lbs range

Here's a website with some ideas........https://www.eatthismuch.com/
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    flaminica wrote: »
    Hello,

I followed a 1200 per day plan for almost a year. I am currently in my first year of maintenance.

First things first. I see you are 65 years old. Your TDEE will be on the low side because of your age, and if you told MFP you wanted to lose two pounds a week it will almost inevitably default to assigning you 1200 calories per day. This is not always (or even usually) necessary. Even allowing for age and gender, 1200 is too low a number if you are much over 5'3" or aiming to lose anything under forty pounds or so. It's a "nuclear option" calorie budget best left to the very tiny and/or morbidly obese, and benefits from medical supervision. If you do not fall into this category, I suggest you revisit the guided Goals page and select a less aggressive regimen.

That being said, I've done this and there is no realistic way on 1200 per day that you can plan three meals and two snacks, unless you choose to define a handful of raw vegetables as a snack. My meal plan was generally two full meals and a light collation.

Welcome to MFP and good luck.

+1 for actually being polite and helpful....
  • dwulet130
    dwulet130 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I recently quit the 1200/day plan. I didn't have the discipline (I like my wine), so I moved up to 1450.

My advice: don't think you can have 5 meals a day. I usually had lunch and dinner, sometimes a snack. Base your meals around meats & veggies - they fill you up and are lowcal for the volume. Get a foodscale, because some things will really surprise you.

Feel free to friend me and we can discuss tips & recipe ideas.

Good luck!
  • MKCRASH
    MKCRASH Posts: 2 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Hi there - I do. My plan does not allow me starches for dinner.
    Here is a typical day:
    Breakfast:
    - nonfat plain greek yogurt sweetened with flavored Stevia drops (or cottage cheese with Stevia and cinnamon mixed in) topped with berries of choice with 1 slice Sara Lee 45 & Delightful bread (or half Thomas light english muffin) with 1 tsp light buttery spread
    - mug scrambled eggs (1 egg, 3 TBL egg whites, wedge Cow pals cheese, little bit of spinach, 0.5 oz diced ham) with a slice of light toast
    - protein smoothie (low carb protein powder, unsweetened almond milk, chia seeds, frozen berries or 1/2 banana) with a piece of toast or 1/2 english muffin

Snacks:
    - piece of fruit (research low sugar fruits)
    - celery w/ Cow Pal cheese wedge
    - veges with 2 TBS hummus
    - sugar free Jell-O mixed with berries and 1-2 TBL lite Cool Whip

Lunch:
    - usually leftovers from previous dinner with a starch added (typically 1/3c brown rice)
    - sandwich made with 1 slice Sara Lee light bread, 1-2 TBS reduced cream cheese, 3 oz turkey lunchmeat, alfalfa sprouts - with a piece of fruit

Dinner - lot's of low carb choices out there (check Pinterest)
    - low carb chili
    - stuffed peppers
    - roasted chicken ( I hate chn breast on their own, so i usually make sure to plan my calories so I can have 2 roasted skin-on chicken thighs) with a non-starchy vege.
    - grilled shrimp or fish with veges or a small salad

Aim to drink a gallon of water a day.
    Good luck!
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    If you do a search on the Internet for "1200 caloire meal plan" you will find many. On the exercise calories most of us don't need to worry about that when we have significant body fat. Just learn to listen to your body regarding hunger, sometimes we when we think we are hungry for food we are really hungry for some other basic need. Your body will give you better answers, how it stores fat, how it sheds fat, and how you feel, sleep, workout, recover, way better answers than a calculator or guru. Of course too low is not good, of course too high is not good, of course it takes time, of course we each have our own fine line to walk, and even that will ebb and flow with the seasons of life.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Do you exercise? I find that exercise curbs my appetite. I am big on veggies as they fill me up. Eggs, too. It is definitely possible to eat plenty on a 1200-a-day calorie limit. AND to have wine/snacks!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    As someone else noted above, OP's profile says she is 65, and if she is petite, 1200 could be an accurate calorie goal.

OP, try focusing on getting enough protein, fat, and veggies. Those are three things that can help you feel more satiated.
    Also remember to log any exercise and eat back some of those calories to give you a little more wiggle room.
    And unless you have a lot of weight to lose, don't set your goal to 2 lbs or 1.5 lbs per week. Better to get a few more cals and a better chance of staying on plan to go a little slower.

Best of luck!
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I was 1200 calories for a couple months until I fell out of the 'obese' category, then upped my intake.
    A sample day for me:

Breakfast: 1 cup oatmeal, 1/2 oz almonds, 1/4 oz dried fruit (usually cranberries or cherries), 2 cups coffee with International Delight creamer.
    Lunch: 2.5 oz white chicken meat or tuna dressed up with celery, red onion & salt-free seasoning, 4 crackers (Trader Joe's Flaxseed Water Crackers), 80 grams of apple or carrot.
    Afternoon: Banana (Usually between 110-130 grams) or, if I worked out that day, a Pure Protein Protein Bar.
    Dinner: 2-4 oz of meat protein, usually chicken, fish or lean pork, spinach salad with raw veggies, with, usually, steamed squash or baked yams or white beans- some kind of high-fiber, lower carb.

That usually left me about 100 calories more if I wanted a wee bit of chocolate before bed. On workout days, I tried to eat back half my exercise calories, leaving me with another 150-200 calories or so, which usually went into an extra serving of yams or beans, maybe with a little salad dressing on top. (Trader Joe's Cilantro Dressing is awesome!)

Now, I'm eating pretty much the same things, but a little more of everything, adding extra protein in the mornings, etc.

One thing you might want to do is use a BMR/TDEE calculator to figure out your actual daily caloric expenditure. If you pick a number above your BMR and below your TDEE, you should lose weight steadily, if not as fast as you might want.
  • bmsowers
    bmsowers Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been eating at 1200 calorie range (and hitting specific macro goals) and having a difficult time getting the scale to move. I am sedentary 9-10 hours a day at a desk job, and limited to 45 mins to 1 hour of exercise 4-5 days a week. I am just now trying to break away from my job at least 20-30 minutes each day for a brisk walk hoping this will jump start my metabolism. I don't feel less than 1200 calories a day is healthy, but previously I have been on Weight Watchers and my daily caloric intake was barely 1000 on their "Points System". I did lose 65 lbs on WW, and kept it off for over 5 years. Then, in the last 5 years, I have slowly gained back 20 lbs that are really sticking to me hard.
  • whitswilson
    whitswilson Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Check out the 21 Day Tummy for some cool low-cal recipes. The foods are low in FODMAPs and have a lot of anti inflammatory properties. Overall, it spells out some cool ways to eat clean. The plan the book puts forth isn't quite as important as the food and recipes it presents for healthier options. This book, honestly, changed my life. The food is SO good and SO simple.
  • bmsowers
    bmsowers Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I normally have oatmeal, high protein peanut butter, salads, chicken breast, turkey, ground sirloin, tuna, cottage cheese, low calorie bagels/english muffins, popcorn, reduced fat cheese, etc. I don't find it hard to find options that fit a 1200 calorie a day diet, but I am having trouble sticking to just 1200 calories :)
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    There are many better ways to do a 1200 calorie plan, but in the three preceding days I had 1200 calorie days and less than 1500 mg sodium. This was an effort to undo some excess salt excursions I'd done over the prior 4 days. In the last 7 days, I've lost 5 lb. I think my food diary is open, but suffice it to say that it featured numerous selections from the company kitchen and candy bowl.
  • ybee1991
    ybee1991 Posts: 106 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I do. I've lost 13 lbs in about a month. I get my daily recommended fat, protein, and carbs. I pretty much only cut out most starches, bread, and rice. I plan to go up to 1300-1350 once I reach my goal weight (12 lbs away). I also lift 3 times a week and do cardio the other 3 times a week for 30 mins. An average day for me:

breakfast:
    greek yogurt and coffee
    lunch:
    apples w/ peanut butter or veggies and hummus (usually the former)
    snack #1: veggies and hummus or an orange or grapes
    snack #2: kashi bar
    dinner:
    i always have meat and veggies for dinner. these are my go tos:

naked fajitas (no rice/no tortilla) with grilled chicken or beef, peppers, and onions
    baked pork chop with peppers and baby spinach and/or corn and pees or broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, etc
    baked or grilled chicken breast with the aforementioned.
    baked or grilled fish with the aforementioned

It's totally doable. Takes real dedication. Worth it.
  • ybee1991
    ybee1991 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    bmsowers wrote: »
    I have been eating at 1200 calorie range (and hitting specific macro goals) and having a difficult time getting the scale to move. I am sedentary 9-10 hours a day at a desk job, and limited to 45 mins to 1 hour of exercise 4-5 days a week. I am just now trying to break away from my job at least 20-30 minutes each day for a brisk walk hoping this will jump start my metabolism. I don't feel less than 1200 calories a day is healthy, but previously I have been on Weight Watchers and my daily caloric intake was barely 1000 on their "Points System". I did lose 65 lbs on WW, and kept it off for over 5 years. Then, in the last 5 years, I have slowly gained back 20 lbs that are really sticking to me hard.

What do you eat? I find that I didn't lose weight until I eliminated bread, rice, and most refined carbs.
  • OverweightZombie
    OverweightZombie Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hello, my daily goal is 1300, but I thought you might like to see what an average day looks like for me. If I do no workouts at all, this is what I eat:

Breakfast

Fontaine Sante - Hummus - Roasted Red Pepper 30g
    9 Grain Ciabatta Bun, 1 triangular bun
    Cherries, sweet, raw, 0.5 cup(s)
    Calories 317

Mid-Morning Snack

Bell Pepper - Green Chopped, 0.13 cup chopped
    Onions, raw, 0.13 cup(s)
    Low sodium Chunk Light Tuna, 1/2 can drained
    Celery, raw, 0.13 cup chopped
    Miracle Whip - Miricle Whip Fat Free, 1 tbsp
    Generic - Chopped Tomato - Roma Tomato , 0.13 whole
    Calories 103

Lunch

Carrots, raw, 0.25 cup chopped
    Generic - Chicken Breast - Roasted, 3 oz
    Mr spice - Tai peanut sauce , 2 tbsp
    Birds Eye - Chopped Celery, 0.25 cup
    Broccoli, raw, 0.75 cup chopped
    Orange Bell Pepper Chopped - 0.5 cup
    Generic - White Onion - Diced, 4 Tablespoon
    Calories 292

Afternoon Snack

Almond Breeze Unsweetened - Vanilla Almond Milk, 1 cup
    Blueberries, 0.5 cup
    Banana Large - Banana Large, 118 g
    Iogo - Blueberry Yogurt - 0% With Stevia, 100 g
    Calories 228

Supper

Carrots, Chopped, 0.5 cup
    Broccoli, raw, 1 cup chopped
    Generic - Russet Baked Potato Plain, No Skin 6.5 oz
    Generic - Chicken Breast - Roasted, 3 oz
    Calories 321

Bedtime Snack

Lemonjuice from 2 lemons (I make lemonade with water and splenda)
    3 8" celery stalks
    Calories 38

Total Daily Calories 1299