Starting / Re-Starting: Head First or Toe Dips ?

Options
myheartsabattleground
myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
edited February 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
A) How did you start your journey (toe dips / head first)?
B ) Would you have done anything differently, after you started?
C) Do you suggest someone dive in head first, or take a toe dip?

Replies

• Ladybird1103
    Ladybird1103 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Last time I lost weight a few years ago, I went in head first! (gained it all back :( )

This time I dipped my toe. Week one I just promised myself I would wear my fitbit and be aware of how much I was moving. Nothing more.... Just to get into that mental state of actually giving a damn about my health.
    Week 2 I promised myself I would try for 10,000 steps a day
    From there started logging/weighing my food to stay within a calorie goal.
    After I got used to that, I started paying attention to macros.
    A couple of weeks later I started adding some additional exercise (Couch to 5k a few times a week)
    Next steps sometime in the future, more varied exercise and weight lifting.

Definitely recommend the toe dip method. Telling myself day 1 I'm going to do EVERYTHING RIGHT sets you up for failure.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Cannonball of the high dive.

As far as differently, I talked about this last night with my husband. And if I had of done it differently then my path I took would not have led me where I am today. It is a cumbersome story at best, so I came to the conclusion during my discussion that no I would not have.

Your personality and who you are as an individual will only know if you should do a head first or toe dip. I would never tell someone to jump if I were not able to do it myself, however what is best for me, may never be what is best for another.
  • erinc5
    erinc5 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I don't think it matters. The most important part is motivation, consistency, and patience. Do whatever works for you that you find sustainable. You just have to want it.

• dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    It's perfectly ok to start small and build. That's what I had to do; treating as an all-or-nothing proposition just set me up for failure. Once I realized that 1 - this is about me changing my habits, not a 'diet' and 2 - it's ok to start small, this whole process became much easier and I stuck with it. For some people, jumping right in and making a lot of changes works for them. If it doesn't for you, that's ok. Do this in a way that works FOR YOU. ^_^
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    A ) I always do everything starting with a toe dip, it's how I roll!
    B ) No, I wouldn't do it differently
    C ) In general I suggest the toe dip, because I know so many people who try to change too much all at once, burn out, feel like a failure, and quit. But obviously each person's personality should lead the way. Some people get discouraged if they don't see big results right away, and would be bored with the toe dip mentality.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    A - Definitely toe dip
    B - Wouldn't have it any other way. If I would have gone in head first I would not have lost all this weight and kept it off.
    C - Start out slow. When I first got on MFP I set my diary to lose .5 pounds a week and I'm so glad I did. It taught me how to portion without feeling completely famished (which usually sends me into a binge).
  • unckate7
    unckate7 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It depends on your personality and different factors, but also, how small are we talking? Small changes in a positive direction are always good, but might not always lead to success, at least with weight loss.

Example 1:
    -Week 1 - resolve to drink more water every day.
    -Week 2 - add taking the stairs up 3 flights to your office every day.
    -Week 3 - Go to bed earlier and wake up earlier.
    -Week 4 - Start meditating every day.
    -Week 5 - Start bringing your lunch to work.
    -Week 6 - Take a vitamin every day.
    -Week 7 - Start counting calories and try to remain in a deficit.

In this example, you're doing things that all probably help your overall health. They're all good things to do. But if you're trying to lose weight, the results will probably be negligible. Not everything that is good for your health = weight loss. You'll go six weeks trying to be "healthier" and will probably not see a change on the scale. This might discourage people, to the point where they give up before they even reach the calorie-counting in week 7. This is the risk of starting small and working up to bigger things.

Example 2:
    -Week 1 - Start counting calories and try to remain in a deficit.
    -Week 2 - Commit to working out 4x per week (even for just 20 minutes or so).
    -Week 3 - Start bringing your lunch to work (within your calorie allotment).
    -Week 4 - Resolve to drink more water.
    -Week 5 - Go to bed earlier and wake up earlier
    -Week 6 - Take a vitamin every day.
    -Week 7 - Start meditating.

In this, with a few tweaks, you start with the bigger goals, and work down to the smaller ones. In this case, instead of having no weight loss in the first 6 weeks, you could lose anywhere from 3-12 pounds. That would probably be more motivating and urge you to keep it up.

I think people need "wins" early on in a challenge like losing weight. If you try for several weeks and don't see that it's working, what's the point in doing it? But if you start out with successes, it's easier to build on those.
  • thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I went head first. 10 weeks of strict food and exercise, cut out coke completely. I lost 10kgs, changed a few habits. My husband went away (it was suppose to be a 12week program) and I kept up the food but not the exercise. Had about a month off over xmas (including a couple week driving holiday). Whatever food and little exercise. Food I have been up and down on since, exercise not at all. I am back to where i was when I finished my program.

For me the 10 weeks of really hitting it hard gave me a great result, it put me in a good place. No it wasnt sustainable for me but it did help change lots of things. I now weekly shop, bulk cookup and have frozen homecooked lunches to take to work. I really think about whether that coke is worth the calories, and a lot of the time the answer is no. Now I am working on getting my exercise routine back on track since school has gone back for my kids so we now have more on during the week and are settling into a new routine.

So head first then ease back worked for me. Its easier to get back into it now as I dont have as far to go as when I started last time and the early gains I achieved are still a great motivation for what can be done.
  • worsthorse
    worsthorse Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    for me, slow and steady was the way to go. i started out with fifteen to thirty minutes of walking and not missing a day of doing so. establishing a daily pattern of working out regularly helped me move from counting on motivation to having the habit of working out.

there's some research, for example, that suggests that it takes about six months to establish a new habit. so i committed to six months of exercising every day and gradually increased the intensity. it seemed to work for me.

same goes for what and how much you eat. cutting back gradually to my target calorie level and limiting or replacing calorically dense, nutritionally suspect foods with stuff that's good for me. again, the six month rule seems to be more like the twelve month rule though. getting dietary changes to stick seems harder for me.

last thing. for me, anyway, it wasn't a straight line. there were good days and bad days along the way. the trick was to stick to it without relying too much on good days or allowing the bad days to turn into bad weeks.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    My advice for people re-starting, as in they gained the weight back, is to toe-dip. Or at least realize that what you did last time didn't work, as far as maintaining your loss. You really have to figure out WHY that happened...many times the deficit was too large, the "diet" too strict, the exercise added was not maintainable. What will you do different this time around that will help you better adhere to your deficit? Most likely it will be to not choose a deficit too large, eat foods you enjoy, and don't go from being sedentary to trying to do two hours of cardio daily.

As far as starting for the first time...Just get in there. Start logging your food, move a little bit more. You can make adjustments as you go along but definitely don't cut out food groups or choose a deficit too extreme. If you have a lot of weight to lose, you're in it for the long haul.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    The toe dip / head first is a personal choice - just like getting in the pool!

With getting in the pool,
    Some people need to dive in the pool head first as going in toes first causes them to change their mind.
    Some people find the head first method too confronting and back off but dipping in a toe and slowly getting used to the water temperature bit by bit.

However, with weightloss, it comes down to how you want to lose weight and what you are currently doing. Do you want to try something like low carb or "eating clean" or do you just want to calorie count? What are your eating habits like? Are you going to have to make huge changes to meet your calorie goal or will doing something small like cutting out softdrink push you under?
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    In the past, I've leaped in head-first, but this time, I was heavier than I'd ever been, had serious chronic injuries that needed consideration, and I had a partner who had just been warned by our GP that he needed to make serious changes and was really irritable about having to change. I knew that if we leaped into something and he felt restricted and miserable, there was no way this was going to work.

I started with my caloric intake around 1700 and then went down by 100 calories a week until I was at 1200. Once i started looking closely at what I ate, it was really easy for me to see where I could cut down calories and fat intake, and make healthier choices, like an apple instead of cookies, nonfat sour cream instead of mayo, etc.
    I started walking just ten minutes a day, then twenty, then went to the pool for half-hour swims and increased by a little each time.

I think too many people leap in head first and get injured or sick from too little food, or end up with the hangry headaches and it's too much and they give up. I know that's been me in the past. If you're making changes for life, it's better to take small steps to figure out what changes you can live with.