What's the word on squishy fat and whooshes?

Hey everyone! This is something I read about and tried to do some research on.... What are your thoughts on this phenomenon? Is this scientifically valid?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    edited February 2016
    I'm unsure of the actual research/data. It seems mostly anecdotal. I have experienced this personally. I don't get the squishy fat that is often described, but in a deficit my fat will get soft and hangy-like it's melting. I won't lose for awhile and then I'll drop pounds suddenly at once.

I haven't read the popular Lyle McDonald article on it recently but from what I remember there really isn't much research/science to back it up. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Yes this true. I will let others get into the scientific debate about it, but I have and still do experience whooshes when eating a deficit to loose weight. Most of my weight comes off like this.
  • unckate7
    unckate7 Posts: 22 Member
    I think everyone acknowledges that the effects people experience are real - I'm just not sure science has a consensus on the why. It is definitely true that weight loss is not linear; sometimes, you'll go several weeks without losing weight, and then lose a bunch at once. Some people report their fat feels different (i.e. squishy) right before a loss. These are documented and all true.

Whether the phenomenon that your fat cells empty and fill with water before the "whoosh" actually happens has not been scientifically proven, to my knowledge. It could very well be true, but I don't believe we have the research to back that up at this point.

However, I don't really think that it's imperative for us trying to lose weight to understand why it happens. We just need to know that if we are truly in a deficit, not lying to ourselves, and tracking accurately, the weight will come off. More some weeks than others, and not linearly. I think the reason for the whoosh is irrelevant.
  • leannamvaughan
    leannamvaughan Posts: 44 Member
    Though I haven't been super observant of it, it sounds a lot like how I lose weight as well. I can be at the same weight for a week or more and then it just falls off. It's frustrating when you don't know what was going on.

I looked into a bit of the science, but wanted to know if it was research based, or if it was pseudo-scientific bologna.
  • Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 536 Member
    The jury is still out I guess.

Fascinating though!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    This sounds stupid, but this usually revolves around cheat days (really they are refeeds which are carb latent and contain booze) for me. LOL I started noticing this a couple of months ago after I starting running training for an event in March..
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    arditarose wrote: »
    I have experienced this personally. I don't get the squishy fat that is often described, but in a deficit my fat will get soft and hangy-like it's melting. I won't lose for awhile and then I'll drop pounds suddenly at once.

I've experienced this as well. I typically whoosh in a noticeable way once a month. I'll have occasional, tiny movements between major whooshes. I also have the melty fat phenomenon. At the moment, my thighs kind of exhibit that, so I'm hoping for another whoosh on the scale or in measurements soon.

I think the problem with proving this scientifically is that you can't really take fat cells and observe them through a loss cycle outside of the body. Or, at least no one's really tried and recorded it.

Personally, considering the number of people who seem to confirm this idea, I think the theory holds weight.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    No earth-shaking scientific research involved, but Lyle McDonald wrote an article about it several years ago: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html/
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Squishy people, I have a question for you. Do you get squishy and then have a big loss and then are not squishy until right before the next big loss? I am just perpetually squishy in the stomach at this point so I don't think my squish is the same as the article's squish.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    jemhh wrote: »
    Squishy people, I have a question for you. Do you get squishy and then have a big loss and then are not squishy until right before the next big loss? I am just perpetually squishy in the stomach at this point so I don't think my squish is the same as the article's squish.

For me - sometimes. It's hard to tell, especially if my skin hasn't quite caught up to my loss yet.

Are you sure your squishiness isn't loose skin? It could be fat (impossible to tell from just a profile picture), but I know abdominal skin doesn't like to rebound as quickly as some other areas. Plus "squishy" is such a relative term.
  • jemhh

For me - sometimes. It's hard to tell, especially if my skin hasn't quite caught up to my loss yet.

Are you sure your squishiness isn't loose skin? It could be fat (impossible to tell from just a profile picture), but I know abdominal skin doesn't like to rebound as quickly as some other areas. Plus "squishy" is such a relative term.

@ManiacalLaugh

Nah, as much as I wish otherwise, I still have a lot of fat in that area. I lose from every spot but there, it seems. I just put a picture in my profile so you can see what I mean. I have a loathsome "mother's apron" hiding under my clothes.
  • ManiacalLaugh

@ManiacalLaugh

Nah, as much as I wish otherwise, I still have a lot of fat in that area. I lose from every spot but there, it seems. I just put a picture in my profile so you can see what I mean. I have a loathsome "mother's apron" hiding under my clothes.

The smilies. X)

Yeah, I see what you mean. That might be true. It's still hard to tell, but it does look like squishy fat. Which is unfortunate for me as well because I have a similar thing going on... except I've never had kids. XS
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member

@ManiacalLaugh

I think the "squish" everyone is talking about is more like a CHANGE in the amount of squish you have, know what I mean? Like, I think I've experienced this because sometimes I feel like my fat is, I don't know, softer? than normal, even compared to at a higher weight, and then I'll drop a couple pounds and notice that it goes away again and everything is firmer, but if I keep losing it sometimes happens again.

Obviously this is completely anecdotal and I have no idea if I'm imagining it, but still.
  • jemhh
    peleroja wrote: »

@ManiacalLaugh

I think the "squish" everyone is talking about is more like a CHANGE in the amount of squish you have, know what I mean? Like, I think I've experienced this because sometimes I feel like my fat is, I don't know, softer? than normal, even compared to at a higher weight, and then I'll drop a couple pounds and notice that it goes away again and everything is firmer, but if I keep losing it sometimes happens again.

Obviously this is completely anecdotal and I have no idea if I'm imagining it, but still.

OK, that's what I was thinking. Mine is squishy and kind of marbly feeling but it's constant rather than changing.
  • jemhh

@ManiacalLaugh

The smilies. X)

Yeah, I see what you mean. That might be true. It's still hard to tell, but it does look like squishy fat. Which is unfortunate for me as well because I have a similar thing going on... except I've never had kids. XS

Lol I couldn't resist the smilies. Did you carry most of your weight right in front too? My dad's side of the family seems to carry all excess weight that way and I inherited it. Never have I thought "wow my thighs/hips/butt are getting a bit wider" but I have thought "I am thick. Not sexy woo woo thick or dumb thick. Literally thick."
  • iecreamheadaches
    iecreamheadaches Posts: 441 Member
    my fat always feels squishy. ive always wondered why because my mom and my dad and even my grandpa have like rock solid fat bellys and what not, but like I just....squish lol.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member

I'd say that my skin will look "melty", then I'll drop weight, then it will look...better. It's hard to pinpoint it exactly but I believe I start looking a little tighter after the whoosh. I don't get the squishy fat as described in the article though..more droopy/soft/generally weird looking fat lol.