Rashes when working out

Options
So... I have always gotten a rash pretty much everywhere when working out. It's mainly on my legs . It itches and is very painful. It happens every time even if I'm just taking a leisure walk. It's not in between my legs so I don't think it's from rubbing . It's really uncomfortable and makes it tough for me to do much . I think I'd actually be wanting to work out more if I got this under control. Has anyone had this issue or knows what it may be caused by ?

Replies

• playmadcats
    playmadcats Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I used to get this and it was first put down to sweat rash. However later in I found I was allergic to a lot of household cleaners including biological washing powder. Confirmed when I changed to non biological, but occasionally got the odd outbreak if I did laundry elsewhere. However exercise apparently aggravates the allergy due to the pores opening whilst sweating. Now I'm really careful and if I end up doing laundry elsewhere if I'm not sure on there powder I just wash in water or leave until I get home. Haven't had a flare up for about three years and that was due to sheets in about hotel room.
  • Yellowon02
    Yellowon02 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    If I haven't worked out in awhile I get itchy legs. It's very uncomfortable and wearing any leggings exasperates it. Maybe it's detergent or soap. I am sensitive to that sort of thing. I can't use fabric softener etc. Or sweat glands working again after a long hiatus.
  • Yellowon02
    Yellowon02 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    It cut me off!

It does go away though ;)
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I used to get this on my legs, back, and sides when running in cold climates:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_urticaria
    There is also a sweat induced urticaria. Maybe one of these? I'd see a doc since it's affecting your enjoyment of working out.

Eta - read your post and saw you're in Denver. I'd guess it's the cold urticaria. The front of my thighs would be on fire by the end of my runs. Fleece lined running tights did nothing. See a doc maybe there's something topical that may work.