Exercise routine

Options
What is your best exercise routine? I'm looking to get new ideas on different exercise routines instead of my usual ab-then-cardio routine.

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I don't have a routine... I just do activities I enjoy. I'm currently working through c25k, I swim, I sometimes do Zumba, I walk, etc.

Find something you enjoy and do that!
  • kittykatpainting8
    kittykatpainting8 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    I don't have a routine... I just do activities I enjoy. I'm currently working through c25k, I swim, I sometimes do Zumba, I walk, etc.

Find something you enjoy and do that!

Oh awesome! I've always wanted to try Zumba
  • ise311
    ise311 Posts: 107 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I have no routine either, probably a bad thing.

Currently i'm just doing whatever things I like. Bodycombat class 2-3 times a week. HIIT 3 times a week. Some leg press. Interested to add weight training, but still haven't learn proper form.

My triceps, shoulder and chest muscle are my weakest area I think. Not being trained.
  • runsonrabbitfood
    runsonrabbitfood Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I do strength training of mostly body resistance 2-3 times per week and run 5 days per week. Don't be afraid to try different stuff out, giving each a fair amount of time to see what you really like. I started C25K about 2 years ago. Hated it the first 2 weeks and have been addicted to running ever since.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    One thing that really helps here is developing fitness goals that are actually independent of burning calories or weight loss or whatever. Actual fitness goals will go a long way in directing you.

I'm an endurance cyclist and I dabble in cyclocross for a fun change of pace in the fall. So in that regard, I spend a lot of time on my bike logging miles. I also lift...usually 3x per week, but my lifting really depends on where I'm at seasonally. For example, the winter is when I really focus my energies on the weight room and I do more aggressive lifting routines...it's cold and weather isn't always conducive to getting out on the bike...as cycling goes in the winter, my only goal is really to maintain a reasonable cardiovascular base.

As I get into spring I start ratcheting up my mileage so while I may still lift a few days per week, I do so differently than when my primary focus is weight training...my programming isn't as aggressive in order that I can spare my body for riding...when I'm in season and participating in events and my mileage is pretty high, I usually only lift a couple days per week and my focus shifts more towards muscular endurance and speed work...so light weight in the 15ish rep range.
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    My exercise routine is "move". I'm not too fussy about the details. I like yoga and walking and swimming and boot camp classes and dancing. I like to try things.

I do make an effort to include resistance training, but luckily I enjoy that too.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I lift at the gym approximately every other day, and on the "between" days I do cardio. 1-2 rest days per week. For cardio I'll sometimes take a spin class. Every Thursday night I do a 5.5 mile hike with elevation. Sometimes a HIIT class at the gym. This time of year, several weekend trips away to backcountry ski.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    triathlon
  • AbigailC17
    AbigailC17 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    My routine varies a lot (different reps and sets) especially how heavy I can go with Dumbbells, barbells, and machines. I lift weights 6 times per week, and I do cardio every morning. My cardio consist of High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) 3 times a week and the rest is Low intensity cardio. I only have one rest day.
  • 46carmen
    46carmen Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Mondays: Pilates then 30 min treadmill
    Tu/Th: Pumped then 1 hr walking
    Wednesdays: Step aerobics then 30 min treadmill

On the weekends, I try to do 30 minutes on the treadmill.

On the treadmill, I do 5 min warm up, 17 min run (5-5.5), 5 min walk incline and 5 min cool down. My goal is to do 30 min run on treadmill.