Help... How do i stop cravings?!

Options
My biggest problem with weight loss isn't eating right or working out... It's my midnight cravings that kill me! I can eat right all day then i start craving everything. How do i stop midnight cravings???

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    You could plan for them and save some calories specifically for a late snack.
  • sanchezashley1725
    Options
    Thats a good idea... Thanks
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough calories? Maybe your goal is too aggressive. Are you feeling hungry, or just wanting to eat for the sake of it?

Honestly, the best way to beat cravings is just practice. Literally practicing self control. I found that after a week or so of suffering through cravings but not giving in the cravings lessened and eventually went away.
  • HelenRobertsNZ
    HelenRobertsNZ Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It's good to have a little something to look forward to - I allow for chocolate nearly every night. The other night I didn't have any, and found myself gravitating towards potato chips and muesli bars, so now it's the first thing to go into my food diary every day.
  • bruhaha007
    bruhaha007 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I agree, don't deny yourself a small snack before bed but portion control. Measure it prior and don't go beyond what you were going to allow yourself. You just need to adjust and get used to it.
  • Darsi_Ajay
    Darsi_Ajay Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    The best way to stop cravings is make your stomach not hungry.So take good food which meets your daily goal regularly 9:00AM to 7:00 PM with an interval 0f 2 hrs and Keep yourself Busy with work. Then go to bed early at 9:30 PM.Then your stomach never Hungry, so you didnt get feel about cravings.
  • Numer1ca
    Numer1ca Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I have changed my bedtime to reduce cravings. I stay up a couple nights on the weekend and I have popcorn.
  • cassandrawoodham
    cassandrawoodham Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    my problem at the moment is I am not working so I snack so much. and I skip breaky too which is naughty. trying to break the bad habits and start my day with something like a smoothie or something.
  • LookinForEnergy
    LookinForEnergy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have this same problem and someone suggested that I budget calories for it. I loved that idea! It really works. I save 300 calories for after dinner and eat 1000 calories for the three main meals. I found that when I really have the munchies and want something to last through a movie, I opt for Cheerios - the fruity one. I put 1 cup into a baggie and pop one into my mouth at a time. It is crunchy, sweet, and takes a long time to eat - all perks for me. It also eliminates the guilt associated with eating after dinner......and that stress isn't doing your body any good. So, save calories for it and let us know how it works for you.
  • William4MVP
    William4MVP Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    keep your mind off of food by distracting yourself but best thing is if you need to be up late is to save calories.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    my problem at the moment is I am not working so I snack so much. and I skip breaky too which is naughty. trying to break the bad habits and start my day with something like a smoothie or something.

It doesn't make any difference what time you eat. Just eat when you feel like it, within your calorie limit.

Your body burns calories night and day. It's a myth about needing breakfast or being bad to eat late at night.

Just make the foods you love fit within your daily goal.

You don't have to drink smoothies. There's nothing inherently healthy about them. They are often way more calories than a bowl of cereal!

There are so many myths and misconceptions in the weight loss world, mostly contrived to sell you a product.

Take the time to read the posts in "helpful posts" announcement at the top of this forum.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-diet-and-weight-loss-help-must-reads#latest

Kind regards and good luck!
  • Orphia
    Options
    My biggest problem with weight loss isn't eating right or working out... It's my midnight cravings that kill me! I can eat right all day then i start craving everything. How do i stop midnight cravings???

People give "cravings" too much power over them.

A random thought to do something stupid is a normal everyday event. Brains are very glitchy.

Challenge your thoughts.

Don't believe everything you think.
  • Numer1ca
    Numer1ca Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Also, some things are harder to control myself with. So I don't have them in the house.

The other day I had a craving for the Swedish fish candy. For real it was that pin pointed. So I bought 8 of them out of the bulk section. Not a bag (I'd eat them all) but 8.
  • ktier09
    ktier09 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

A random thought to do something stupid is a normal everyday event. Brains are very glitchy.

Challenge your thoughts.

What a phenomenal thought and comment! I may just print that out — thanks!
  • kaellyn
    kaellyn Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    When I'm munching but not hungry, I brush my teeth or suck on an Altoid - both strong mint flavors. Somehow it short-circuits the munchies.
  • rtamayo
    rtamayo Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    The more you give into them the more you get them. Go.cold turkey and fight through. In about 2 weeks they won't come back.
    Mine only show during pms now, and I'll indulge a bit.
    Figure out what your trigger foods are and don't eat them!!
  • Orphia
    Options
    ktier09 wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »

Challenge your thoughts.

What a phenomenal thought and comment! I may just print that out — thanks!

Thank you.

I hope it helps you just eat the things you love in moderation.

I make room every day for a treat I want.

It doesn't have to be huge, but it can be, if you do enough exercise to earn it. :)