350 calorie walk? (R keeper)

Options
Hey team,
I've been using runkeeper to track my runs and long walks and, going by hunger cues etc, it seems pretty accurate for calories tracked, but... I just went for a walk up to the top of a nearby hill, watched the sun set then jogged back and logged as 2 activities...The walk was 3.11km, took 33min but is showing is 348 calories! For comparison, my run back was 2.85km, took 18 mins and was 168 calories - which is pretty normal. Does runkeeper factor in the hill? It's pretty steep so it's the only thing I can think of?

Replies

• SumnyUK
    SumnyUK Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    348 calories for walking 3 km sounds like a lot. Even if it's uphill. I think Runkeeper might have gotten it slightly wrong.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    348 calories for a 3 km steep hill sounds about right, depending on your weight. I'm not sure if Runkeeper factors in elevation since I don't use the app, but it looks to be the case. 3 km in 33 minutes that's a pretty fast walk, so if you add elevation you end up with a good burn.
  • aimeerhiannon
    aimeerhiannon Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hmm, yeah I guess good speed, uphill generally speaking plus a decent scramble to get up the hill - it must take those into consideration - though I'd usually burn that much running for that long! I'll just go the "eat back half" route and see how I feel tomorrow!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,558 Member
    Options
    Runkeeper always gets elevation wrong. Keep that in mind please. It used to give me more than 300m elevation on 5km runs in completely flat terrain! You can check that if you go to their website and chose the map view. Now be very careful with what you do: there's a little pulldown menue on the upper right where you can edit the track. Zoom in on one track point on the map without changing anything, then move this one point by just a pixel, save, and your elevation data and calories will most likely go down big time. I stopped using runkeeper once I realised this.
  • wochlikgm
    wochlikgm Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    My Garmin gives me similar readings at about 1C per 10m walked. One vertical meter is approximately 1 calorie; I got that by experiment and calculation.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    the burn seems elevated...for me 20 mins / 2.2km its 106 cals at 4mph (I'm 5ft 2) my hubby for same walk get 180 cals (6ft 1") It all depends on weight/age/height etc and speed.