Overnight oats

Options
I saw these mentioned in a thread on here yesterday, and thought I would give it a go. I generally make fruit porridge at the weekend, but don't have time to do this on weekdays, so usually have oats, fruit and yogurt. Last night I put the oats in a bowl with soya milk, Greek yogurt, blueberries and raspberries, and left in the fridge overnight. Somehow it felt more satisfying than the oats I eat with cold milk in the morning. Now I'm looking for more overnight oats recipes!

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I mostly make mine with oats, milk, berries, and a scoop of vanilla protein powder. Yesterday, though, I had oats, milk, vanilla protein powder, and chocolate almond butter. Thursday is my maintenance calories day so it was a bit higher in calorie than I normally go with overnight oats but it was very good.
  • UG77
    UG77 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I've seen a few of these threads and I'm definitely interested in these. Currently I am eating steel cut oats, I make them in advance and let them soak in the fridge overnight(+) so I don't have to spend 30 minutes in the morning cooking oatmeal.
  • doesthisappmakemelookfat
    Options
    Hungry Girl has quite a few overnight oats recipes with different combinations of stuff.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I love ONOs! So many variations! I love the creamy cold chewiness! I like to throw in some PB2 chocolate. If I have hot/cooked oats peanut butter is a must.
    I love raspberries and blackberries in my ONOs! Sliced bananas too! And sometimes Ill throw in a tablespoon of my protein powder to help hit macros. Some maple syrup or honey sweetens them well too.
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I have one a few times a week. I have about a dozen different ones written down. My basic starter in a half pint mason jar is 1/4 cup old fashioned oats. .1/3 cup milk ( i use unsweetened almond) 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt ( i use fage 0%) and 1 teaspoon chia seeds. . . then add whatever i want. . made a nice almond joy one a few days ago and a maple brown sugar one. Have a pumpkin pie one in the fridge for tomorrow. . .Hoping its good never made it before. . . My fav so far is peanut butter and jelly. I add PB2 and sugar free preserves.
  • sarahredhaira
    sarahredhaira Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Oh yes - chia seeds. I'll put some in next time. I don't really eat peanut butter - I'm in the UK and I don't think we eat as much of it here. I'll try banana though. Why the masons jar? I just put it in my usual cereal bowl yesterday. Does it make a difference? And how do you make pumpkin pie oats?
  • ktekc
    Options
    I bought a bunch of small mason jars and some plastic lids for them cause its easier to just put everything in and just shake em up. And i can throw em in my bag to take to work easy. The pumpkin pie one is my basic starter plus 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice, 1/2 tsp maple syrup, 30 grams pumpkin and a scoop of vanilla protein powder. Haven't tried it before might have to tweak it a bit.
  • jemhh
    Options
    The only reason I use mason jars is because I wanted glass containers with lids. They were the only ones in the right size range that I could find. I often put everything in except the milk and put them all in the freezer. Then the night before I want to eat one I pour in the milk and put it up in the fridge.
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I love OOIJ!!! Mason jars work well so you can just pop the lid on, shake it all up and pop it in the fridge. You can make whatever flavor combos you like. There are so many great receipes/ideas. My favorite is to use an almost empty jar of sunbutter or almond butter and add my oats, milk, and a small bit of maple syrup and maybe some chia seeds.
  • prestigio
    prestigio Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I love my oats with some yoghurt, cocoa powder, cinnamon and (optional) some sweetner and/or vanilla extract!
    In the morning I chop a banana with that and enjoy.
  • sarahredhaira
    Options
    Ahh - shake it all up! I missed this!!
    Must try them with cocoa powder.
    I think I need one of those jars!
  • jemhh
    Options
    I like my oats stirred, not shaken.
  • ktekc
    Options
    Update. . . the pumpkin ones came out awesome. . . i warmed them up a little though most i eat cold.
  • sarahredhaira
    Options
    So how did you make the pumpkin oats?
  • rachelgbridges
    rachelgbridges Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Here's my favorite go-to recipe - great for getting in that protein!

Combine 1/2 c. Milk (almond or coconut) with 1 tbsp almond butter and 1/2 tsp vanilla
    Add 1/2 c. Organic rolled oats, dash of salt, 1-2 scoops of (non- soy) protein powder and 1-2 chopped dates.
    Sometimes I will add walnuts.

This keeps me satisfied for hours and it tastes like cookie dough...so, there's that...
  • ktekc
    Options
    ktekc wrote: »
    The pumpkin pie one is my basic starter plus 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice, 1/2 tsp maple syrup, 30 grams pumpkin and a scoop of vanilla protein powder. Haven't tried it before might have to tweak it a bit.

• sarahredhaira
    Options
    I've not heard of pumpkin pie spice. Protein powder is also an alien concept for me!! I'm learning about lots of new things on here!