Lagging Energy - Change in diet?

Options
I've recently noticed that my energy has been lagging for the last week or so. I haven't changed my diet but I'm wondering if I should in order to bolster those levels up to when I started in December. Any advice on changes in diet (and/or macro ratios) that would help with this? I'm getting a lot of conflicting information online.

Replies

• dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    What is your current caloric intake? Macros? Do you train, and if so, how often, and have you been noticing training performance also lagging? Since you've started in December, how much weight have you lost?

Or... it could just be lack of sleep. That or you just might be getting a cold...
  • punkyb07
    punkyb07 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    My caloric intake is currently is in 1200's (I've been debating on upping that). I'm now doing (40 c, 25 f, 35 p) but last week I was (30 c, 20 f, 50 p) for my macro ratio. I usually burn about 4000 calories per week (based off of fit bit data). Since December, I've lost about 20 lbs. I'm definitely getting sleep. I've had the sniffles for a few weeks now and I'm just noticing the energy loss this week.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Depending on your starting weight, your weight loss of 1-2lbs a week is healthy and spot on, but if you are training you should increase from 1200 - a net below 1200 could be the reason you are feeling lethargic. Also, your protein intake doesn't need to be that high, so increasing your carbs and fat and lowering your protein to where it was (40c/25f/35p) can help with energy levels. Keep in mind that you've been dieting for 10 weeks, so at some point you will feel like you hit a wall, it's normal.

And most likely the sniffles are a sign that you are getting sick, hence the loss of energy. If it persists, see a doctor, as there could be other medical reasons...
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    1200 cals is pretty low especially if training/working out. Our goal should be to train the body to consume the most amount of calories possible while still losing weight. If you start of at such a low intake, when you plateau, you'll have nowhere to go. I'd recommend upping your intake a little bit, do so slowly, and aim for a minimum of 50% carbs. My guess is the cold/sniffles your fighting - might be a result of improper fueling with the added stress of exercises on the body.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Try 30 carb, 25 protein, and 45 healthy fats.
  • punkyb07
    punkyb07 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    @tkillion810 I upped it to 1300 over the weekend and I feel wayyyy better, also increased by carb intake (but not going over the ratio). Thanks everyone for the advice.
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    So glad you're feeling better!