Not seeing my weightloss in the mirror

Options
forgtmenot
forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
edited February 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I have a question for those of you who have already lost weight...After you lost weight did you feel like when you looked in the mirror you still looked big? I'm experiencing this now. I had lost 32lbs and then stopped logging when I started school again. Since I wasn't logging, I was sure I gained some back over Christmas break and the beginning of the semester. So I've been avoiding the scale not wanting to see that number go up. Well I finally stepped on the scale and I've actually lost another 6 lbs. I'm in shock because to me I look in the mirror and I still look fat. I'm actually in the normal range for my height now, which I had been overweight for a few years (my highest was 189) I'm just wondering when I'm going to finally see that I'm not big anymore when I look in the mirror?

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Here's a Body Image quiz that assesses how you see yourself.

http://www.marisota.co.uk/shop/freeformat/page.action?pageId=7758

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    In case anyone reading this has a poor body image, this might help:

https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/healthyliving/body-image-and-diets

A snippet:

"Your body image is how you think and feel about your body. Body image involves your thoughts, perception, imagination and emotions. It does not necessarily reflect what you see in the mirror or what other people see. Poor body image is often linked to dieting, over-exercising, or eating disorders such as anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa and binge eating disorder, and to other mental health issues such as low self-esteem, depression or anxiety."
  • forgtmenot
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    In case anyone reading this has a poor body image, this might help:

https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/healthyliving/body-image-and-diets

A snippet:

"Your body image is how you think and feel about your body. Body image involves your thoughts, perception, imagination and emotions. It does not necessarily reflect what you see in the mirror or what other people see. Poor body image is often linked to dieting, over-exercising, or eating disorders such as anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa and binge eating disorder, and to other mental health issues such as low self-esteem, depression or anxiety."

I don't think it's anything like that. I've read this could happen after significant weight loss, where your mind takes awhile to catch up to what you've lost and you still see the way you used to look or have a hard time seeing how much you've lost. I've seen it called "phantom fat". I just didn't think it would happen to me I guess, and I just want to be able to be proud of what I've lost and feel good about myself, but unfortunately even though I logically know I've lost weight, I still feel like I look the same.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Funny thing is happening with me. When I was at my largest, I didn't think I really looked that big!! At least not in my mirror. Photographs however, gave me a much different perspective. Weird!

Now, it seems to be the opposite. I feel I look smaller in photographs than what I see in the mirror. I'm down 95 pounds so there is a difference for sure.

Human brains are weird, lol!
  • forgtmenot
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Funny thing is happening with me. When I was at my largest, I didn't think I really looked that big!! At least not in my mirror. Photographs however, gave me a much different perspective. Weird!

Now, it seems to be the opposite. I feel I look smaller in photographs than what I see in the mirror. I'm down 95 pounds so there is a difference for sure.

Same here! I really didn't realize how big I looked when I was heavy until a friend of mine posted a very unflattering photo of me on FB. I saw something totally different in the mirror. Part of the problem may be that I don't have a full length mirror, because if I go in a dressing room with a full mirror I can see that I'm thinner. But I still don't feel like I look almost 40lbs thinner! It's very weird.

Eta: it's funny because when I saw myself in that dressing room mirror it was so shocking to see myself so much smaller than I thought I was in my head! It was almost like an out of body experience. I was there with my fiancé and mom and I walked out and said "omg I've lost a lot of weight!" They were like "yea we know!" It was like I just saw it for the first time.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Here's a Body Image quiz that assesses how you see yourself.

http://www.marisota.co.uk/shop/freeformat/page.action?pageId=7758

Whoa! That's eyeopening!! I apparently see myself as 20% larger than I actually am.
  • forgtmenot
    Options
    I couldn't do the quiz because I don't own a tape measurer. I will have to get one.
  • forgtmenot
    Options
    Bump
  • motivatedsister
    motivatedsister Posts: 544 Member
    Options

Me too! I mean I know I'm definitely not small by any means, but what I see in the mirror is sooooo much smaller than what is captured in a photo. Disgusting! And maybe not the healthiest way to think of your body image, but I have to tell myself sometimes when I think oh wow I'm looking small, that no my perception is off.

For me I think it's because I was always so small and fit, that I still see that in the mirror when it's not the reality. I think it's a big part of the reason I gained all this weight in the first place...my mind just didn't see it even though I was going up in clothes size until one day it was like wow you're in a 16...how the heck did that happen!

Can't wait for the day when what I see is reality.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I think it takes our brains a while catching on what our new body looks like.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    forgtmenot wrote: »
    I have a question for those of you who have already lost weight...After you lost weight did you feel like when you looked in the mirror you still looked big? I'm experiencing this now. I had lost 32lbs and then stopped logging when I started school again. Since I wasn't logging, I was sure I gained some back over Christmas break and the beginning of the semester. So I've been avoiding the scale not wanting to see that number go up. Well I finally stepped on the scale and I've actually lost another 6 lbs. I'm in shock because to me I look in the mirror and I still look fat. I'm actually in the normal range for my height now, which I had been overweight for a few years (my highest was 189) I'm just wondering when I'm going to finally see that I'm not big anymore when I look in the mirror?

I've read that it takes your brain about 3 weeks to catch up to your weight loss. Have those around you noticed the weight loss and commented on it? If so, give it some time, your brain will adjust.

If it doesn't, you may have body image issues. In that case, find a support group or competent therapist trained to help you deal with the issues - just don't give up!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    its called body dysmorphia and to some extent, we all have it.

i could see it in photos long before the mirror. it probably took a good 50 pounds before i could see any difference in the mirror, even though photos, measurements and clothes told a totally different story.
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Good to know - I did take some "before" pictres (even though I really didn't want to) because of what folks on here said. Can't wait to get to the "after" part! I have dropped 13lbs so far so still early days...but don't see any difference at all in the mirror yet.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Yep, I'd go with the body dysmorphia angle, and we all definitely have it to some extent.

Personally, I was down 80lbs before I put some back on (which I've almost taken all back off), and I really can't see the difference when I look in the mirror.

My clothes fit differently, I'm down three shirt sizes as well as 8 pants sizes, but it's still difficult for me to see much of a difference regardless of my brain knowing for an absolute fact that I've lost nearly 1/3rd of my previous self. It's getting there though, and I am finally starting to be able to see it little by little.

Keep at it, and don't get discouraged.
  • HutchA12
    HutchA12 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    elaineamj wrote: »
    Good to know - I did take some "before" pictres (even though I really didn't want to) because of what folks on here said. Can't wait to get to the "after" part! I have dropped 13lbs so far so still early days...but don't see any difference at all in the mirror yet.

You shouldn't need to wait for the after. I took a new one monthly and now that I'm down to the last 15 and on a .5 deficit I do it every 2 months. It can help a lot.
  • forgtmenot
    edited February 2016
    Options
    forgtmenot wrote: »

I've read that it takes your brain about 3 weeks to catch up to your weight loss. Have those around you noticed the weight loss and commented on it? If so, give it some time, your brain will adjust.

If it doesn't, you may have body image issues. In that case, find a support group or competent therapist trained to help you deal with the issues - just don't give up!

Yes my fiancé insists he can see the difference and I look great. I logically know I lost weight as I can wear some pants that I hadn't been able to fit into and a lot of my "fat clothes" are too big. It's just hard to see it in the mirror most of the time. Thank you very much! I still have another 20lbs I want to lose. I hope you're right though that this will go away and my brain will catch up!
  • forgtmenot
    Options
    Thank you for all the comments, I think you're all right and it's just taking time for my brain to catch up. I just hope it catches up soon!
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I have this funny thing where I pretty much forget what I look like in the mirror. I hate what I look like, despise looking at pictures of me, when I do force myself to look in the mirror it is always a disappointment, but I can brush my teeth, shave, brush my hair all without ever looking in a mirror. I have mirrors, I just don't use them.
  • kirstenb13
    kirstenb13 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I lost a total of 33 lbs currently (middle of normal bmi now) and I think for me the biggest thing when I look at myself now is, that I honestly thought I would be much thinner at this weight. I still have a good amount of body fat on my lower body, but I always thought somehow that bmi 22 or whatever is somewhat thin. It doesn't bother me and I feel great but it shows me how skewed my perspective was.
  • forgtmenot
    Options
    kirstenb13 wrote: »
    I lost a total of 33 lbs currently (middle of normal bmi now) and I think for me the biggest thing when I look at myself now is, that I honestly thought I would be much thinner at this weight. I still have a good amount of body fat on my lower body, but I always thought somehow that bmi 22 or whatever is somewhat thin. It doesn't bother me and I feel great but it shows me how skewed my perspective was.

I get this too and I think that's a huge part of my problem as well. I'm now about 5 lbs lighter than the maximum suggested weight for my height, and I figured once I was in the normal range I would no longer look overweight, but I think I still do. I definitely pictured 151lbs on my body to look very different than it does.