Working out while sick

Options
I've been doing SL 5x5 the last few weeks however, I've come down with a bad cold. Weak, exhausted, coughing up terrible things, triggering my asthma, etc. I opted out of going to the gym last night, because of fatigue and not wanting to get other people sick.

a) I'm wondering if I should have tried to go since I'm still at a reasonable level of weights and it would only be about 30 minutes?

b) When do you decide to go/stay home if you're under the weather?

Replies

• mean_and_lean
    mean_and_lean Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    TaraTall wrote: »
    I've been doing SL 5x5 the last few weeks however, I've come down with a bad cold. Weak, exhausted, coughing up terrible things, triggering my asthma, etc. I opted out of going to the gym last night, because of fatigue and not wanting to get other people sick.

a) I'm wondering if I should have tried to go since I'm still at a reasonable level of weights and it would only be about 30 minutes?

b) When do you decide to go/stay home if you're under the weather?

Unequivocally NO. Don't bring your germs to the gym to infect those around you no matter how "well" you're now feeling. Seriously. I can't tell you how disgusted I get when I see people coughing, sneezing, hacking away into their hands and then they're touching the equipment. Or worse yet, they're just coughing/sneezing etc. willy nilly with no regards to covering their mouths.

If I'm sick I stay home and allow myself time to get well.
  • TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'm glad I'm not the only person who gets skeeved out by that.

• _EPIC_
    _EPIC_ Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Home gym = no problem
    Running = no problem
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    _EPIC_ wrote: »
    Home gym = no problem
    Running = no problem

Hold up there. If you have something triggering your asthma, the last thing you want to do is something that will make you work your lungs (especially if you have to do it outside in colder temps).

If you can lift at home, that might be okay, but as far as your asthma goes, stop the moment you start feel as though you're getting tight. If you can do a home routine without increased coughing or asthma, it's probably okay.

Source: Many years of emergency hospital visits and nebulizer treatments from pushing too hard with a cold.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Definitely keep your germs at home. If you feel like working out at home go for it.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Sometimes your body just needs to rest and heal. It's ok. You're not gonna backslide in a few days or a week. If you train regularly, you'll get back to where you were quickly, 1 or 2 workouts, or maybe even pick up where you left off. Life happens. I've been down all week. Ugh.
  • rosey35
    rosey35 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Sickness, then asthma gets bad, then chest infection, steroids + antibotics then costochrondritis if coughing is bad then you may get pneumonia. Rest up as a fellow asthmatic rest up is the best advice I can give, asthma can go from controlled to uncontroll in a second. Your body will thank you for it and you will get better quicker.
  • pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Sometimes your body just needs to rest and heal. It's ok. You're not gonna backslide in a few days or a week. If you train regularly, you'll get back to where you were quickly, 1 or 2 workouts, or maybe even pick up where you left off. Life happens. I've been down all week. Ugh.

This. Rest is good for the body. Ultimately it's up to you though. Sometimes I take a week off just to take a week off.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I personally won't lift feeling ill and weak. I'm liable to hurt myself. I'd rather rest then come back stronger than push myself and risk even more down time.
  • Marcus_2015
    Marcus_2015 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have tried time after time to work out lightly, thinking it would boost my immune system or something. It has NEVER worked for me... I am much better off resting when sick...

I think people might be different so you have to see how you respond.

Going to the gym sick and infecting others is another matter, of course...

Feel better,
    R