Tuna Salad

Options
xxshebearxx
xxshebearxx Posts: 23 Member
ok please bear with me. this may be a silly post but i have some questions on tuna salad.
I live in Australia and tuna salad isnt a popular thing here. i have never met anyone who has eaten it.
Can you make it ahead of time? how long can it last in the fridge? and lastly, recipes.... whats your fav tuna salad recipes?
Thank you!!

Replies

• pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Not a silly post, at all. I eat tuna everyday. Mine is very simple. It is a can on low sodium tuna, mayonnaise and sweet pickle relish.

I make this every other day, so I mix it up on, say, Monday and have that on Monday and Tuesday. It will last 3-4 days.
  • xxshebearxx
    Options
    Thanks!!! ive never eaten it but i would love to try it as it sounds delicious. yours is very simple and it sounds delicious, i shall try it. :smile:
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    OMG I can't believe this was just posted. I had a super craving for tuna salad, and had no idea what was in it so I googled it and made my own. Yes, it can be very simple or as complex as you want. I had a pouch of water packed tuna, added Miracle Whip Light, sweet pickle relish and a hard boiled egg. Delish!

Some of the recipes call for onions and celery but I didn't put that in. You could if you wanted to.
  • cassandrascreations2912
    Options
    Mavrick_RN wrote: »
    OMG I can't believe this was just posted. I had a super craving for tuna salad, and had no idea what was in it so I googled it and made my own. Yes, it can be very simple or as complex as you want. I had a pouch of water packed tuna, added Miracle Whip Light, sweet pickle relish and a hard boiled egg. Delish!

Some of the recipes call for onions and celery but I didn't put that in. You could if you wanted to.

This is the way I make mine!!! Ssooo good
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Albacore tuna, drain the water, mayo, salt, pepper, diced pickles or relish, mashed up hard boiled egg.

I would only keep it for 3 days in fridge.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    ok please bear with me. this may be a silly post but i have some questions on tuna salad.
    I live in Australia and tuna salad isnt a popular thing here. i have never met anyone who has eaten it.
    Can you make it ahead of time? how long can it last in the fridge? and lastly, recipes.... whats your fav tuna salad recipes?
    Thank you!!

I eat tuna a lot. Make it ahead of time if it's easier for you. Lasts 2-3 days.

Classic Ranch Tuna Salad
    1 T. mayo
    1/2 T. Ranch dressing
    1 hard boiled egg, chopped
    1 can tuna, drained
    Salt and pepper, to taste

Veggie Madness Tuna Salad
    1 T. mayo
    1 T. low-cal creamy balsamic dressing
    1/2 c. shredded carrots
    1/2 c. celery, chopped
    1 can tuna, drained
  • AceVoss
    AceVoss Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Oooo that Classic Ranch Tuna Salad sounds amazing. I think I'm going to have to try that.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I'm not crazy about mayo, and I like canned tuna in oil better than in water. I toss in onion, a little garlic, celery, tiny carrot bits, and sweet pepper. Season how you like (I like various dried herbs or an herbes de provence mix). Drain the tuna well. Mix it all together with lemon juice or some nice vinegar.
  • dimple_gal
    dimple_gal Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I usually make salad (not for sandwiches with mayo, celery, scallions and cucumber- fresh dill if you have it. My neighbor turned me on to this non-mayo based tuna salad for lettuce wraps. Its really good, also a great spread for crackers

2 cans tuna, drained and chunked
    2T chopped ginger root
    2T chopped red onion
    1/2 t garlic powder
    1t salt
    2T lime juice
    1/2T lime peel
    2T ground roasted coconut (I like it a bit chunky)
    1/2c. peanuts
    1t. chili powder (your choice)
    Lettuce leaves
    coarse chopped cilantro

mix first 10 ingredients, spoon into lettuce leaves, top with cilantro
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!

I eat tuna a lot. Make it ahead of time if it's easier for you. Lasts 2-3 days.

Classic Ranch Tuna Salad
    1 T. mayo
    1/2 T. Ranch dressing
    1 hard boiled egg, chopped
    1 can tuna, drained

Veggie Madness Tuna Salad
    1 T. mayo
    1 T. low-cal creamy balsamic dressing
    1/2 c. shredded carrots
    1/2 c. celery, chopped
    1 can tuna, drained

I always add celery to mine.....but I've got a bag of shredded carrots in the fridge (woot!).

Another idea - green apple, celery, and diced red pepper
  • Ginny218
    Ginny218 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    i like the new starkist or chicken of the sea flavored pouches 80-110 cal per the pouch.. garlic & herb, lemon pepper, thai sweet chilli, bbq
  • ashleyylo
    ashleyylo Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    i have been craving tuna salad lately! lots of good ideas! I've been wanting to try it mixed with sweet chili sauce.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    I usually add a lot to mine and eat it as a salad or in a sandwich. Water packed low sodium tuna, finely chopped onion, garlic, celery and broccoli, chopped tomato, dill pickle, dill weed, romaine lettuce and/or spinach, light mayo (sometimes I use Tzatziki instead), salt (or garlic salt if I'm out of fresh), black pepper. Sometimes I toss some edamame, pepita seeds and/or raising in too.
  • flyingfur74
    flyingfur74 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Albacore tuna, drain the water, mayo, salt, pepper, diced pickles or relish, mashed up hard boiled egg.

I would only keep it for 3 days in fridge.

So GOOD!
  • jamieoneymagargel
    jamieoneymagargel Posts: 2 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    My favorite tuna salad recipe:
    2 cans of tuna packed in water
    2-3 tbsp hell man's mayo
    1.5 cups of coleslaw starter cabbage mix (bag)
    1/2 cup pineapple tidbits (drained & rinsed)
    * I fill a carb balance (high fiber) tortilla

My family loves this with carrots/celery & hummus dip on the side
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,969 Member
    Options
    I like a very simple tuna salad: canned tuna (I prefer oil-packed, but suit yourself), a little real mayonnaise (not "light" mayo or Miracle Whip, and it's one of the few dishes where I don't think Greek yogurt is a good substitute for mayo), a little chopped onion, and dash of celery seed or celery salt. Maybe a little chopped celery if I happen to have some around.

My mother always made it with mayo, sweet pickle relish, and (usually) hard-boiled egg. I was not a big fan of this version, although I like egg and tuna together in a Nicoise-style salad.

I wouldn't store it in the refrigerator for more than a couple of days. Really, it's so easy to make that I don't why you would want to make a whole bunch at once to store it for days. I don't think it improves sitting in the fridge.

If you don't want a sandwich, tuna salad is good on crackers, or served over fresh tomato wedges. I think it would probably be good served in half an avocado, but I can't say I've actually done that.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    dimple_gal wrote: »
    I usually make salad (not for sandwiches with mayo, celery, scallions and cucumber- fresh dill if you have it. My neighbor turned me on to this non-mayo based tuna salad for lettuce wraps. Its really good, also a great spread for crackers

2 cans tuna, drained and chunked
    2T chopped ginger root
    2T chopped red onion
    1/2 t garlic powder
    1t salt
    2T lime juice
    1/2T lime peel
    2T ground roasted coconut (I like it a bit chunky)
    1/2c. peanuts
    1t. chili powder (your choice)
    Lettuce leaves
    coarse chopped cilantro

mix first 10 ingredients, spoon into lettuce leaves, top with cilantro

• beankid
    beankid Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I love the tuna, mayo, sweet relish mixture but with diced onions added. Had one yesterday on a wrap. If you're going low carb do lettuce wraps or a salad. Super quick and delicious. Packed with protein.
  • xxshebearxx
    Options
    Thanks for your ideas! Can't wait to try them all!!!
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I make two servings out of every can... lots of different stuff as ingredients. Yesterday I put dates, kiwi, pumpkin seeds, onions, and a tsp of ranch dressing in there.... surprisingly delicious. Other times i have done onions, celery, carrots, mustard, and catalina dressing... pretty much limitless the ways you can prepare it.