"Diet" foods that you avoid

Options
Seajolly
Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
I'm wondering which "diet" foods people avoid because they aren't actually good for their diet? Either because they have too many carbs, too much fat, too much sugar, etc etc.

I just discovered today that Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches have 30g of carbs! I had one with lunch today and was floored when I saw that! It has more carbs per serving that any other single food I've had today, and wasn't all that satisfying either!

Thanks to MFP I'm realizing now that I'd rather have things that are full fat than "low fat" foods because usually that means that the carbs are just higher! And I'd rather be consuming fat than carbs.

Replies

• candysh0p
    candysh0p Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I stay away from most things "diet" or "low fat". They just replace it with simple sugars and it's (generally speaking) unhealthier, less filling than the original and full of carbs.

The only exception is Greek yoghurt, I always buy 0% rather than 2% fat.
  • kenlad64
    kenlad64 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Wanna say BUMP, ...also Fat Free Salad dressing and the amount of sodium
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I stay away from most things "diet" or "low fat".

Agreed. I just eat small portions of "normal" food.
  • tristajanelle
    Options
    Yeah I think anytime that you go for the real deal instead of something that has been messed with to make it lower calorie you are having something healthier. Just save those Skinny Cows for when you have that undeniable urge to have something sweet! I personally can't even keep those cows in my house! I like them too much and have no self control with them. :)
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Wanna say BUMP, ...also Fat Free Salad dressing and the amount of sodium
    I was looking at fat free salad dressing, what they do is remove the fat and add sugar.

I stay away from most carbs...
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options

Since joining MFP I'm learning to do this as well. It's great! I'm full, satisfied on good food, and losing!
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I stay away from anything processed, and refined sugars. Things llike slim fast, etc...they are usually LOADED with sugar. Also, the weight watchers meals, lean cuisines, etc....lots of sodium, and considering the portion sizes, not very low cal. 300 + calories in some of those meals and they are so tiny that really you need 2 to be satisfied.
  • rayneface
    rayneface Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Any of those 100 calorie packed snacks... they are completely void of nutrition - really a Dorito is a Dorito regardless of the size of container they come in.

I avoid pre-packaged foods as much as possible and always aim to be able to read and understand all of the ingredients on the ingredient list - if I don't know what I am eating I tend to stay away.
  • ♥jewel♥
    ♥jewel♥ Posts: 839
    Options
    I don't eat any of the diet/low fat/no fat foods. They always have more sugar and more sodium in them to make up for the lack of flavour!
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options

Since joining MFP I'm learning to do this as well. It's great! I'm full, satisfied on good food, and losing!
    Same here! :D
  • bkelley32148
    bkelley32148 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    being mindful definitely is helpful... there is a great article in prevention this month about mindful eating... check it out
  • tuscaroragal
    tuscaroragal Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    My choices have to do with taste, not necessarily due to the content. I'm not a soda drinker, but there are lots of information about diet soda not being a good choice. I don't use fat free creamer because I just DON'T LIKE IT. If I couldn't lose weight drinking my morning coffee with full flavored creamer, I would have given up the coffee all together. Same with sugar...I use regular sugar in my coffee cause it just plain tastes better! The only "diet" thing I do induldge in is the Starbucks "skinny" Carmel Machiato. I don't mind the sugar free syrup in that, and it becomes a treat for me. I also am not a big fan of low fat cheese. I rarely have cheese just because I'd rather go without than have something I personally don't think tastes good. I've lost 35 pounds with my choices, so I haven't changed my original opinions! Everyone is different...I'm sure you will hear from lots of people who have changed what they eat and drink. Best of luck to you!
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I've learned that as well, I have a few exceptions. Special K came out with really yummy crackers and chips that give you 24-30 pieces for 110 calories. I love the chips as a snack to munch on, and the crackers are awesome to dip in hummus. Other than that, I avoid 100 calorie pack-type foods. I really don't mind a smaller quantity of something with higher fat since the sugar and carbs aren't inflated. I did just buy packets of Fig Newtons, but they're not reduced fat or anything. I just wanted portable Fig Newtons, hahaha
  • brianna626
    brianna626 Posts: 156
    Options
    Any of those 100 calorie packed snacks... they are completely void of nutrition - really a Dorito is a Dorito regardless of the size of container they come in.

I avoid pre-packaged foods as much as possible and always aim to be able to read and understand all of the ingredients on the ingredient list - if I don't know what I am eating I tend to stay away.

Yes they are the same but isn't it a way to limit the amount you are eating? I do the Emerald 100 calorie natural almonds, are they bad?
  • sjhoffman
    sjhoffman Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I just viewed a slideshow this morning with a list of "diet" foods that aren't really very healthy:

http://www.shape.com/healthy-eating/eat-better-live-healthier/everyday-nutrition/50-seemingly-healthy-foods-that-are-bad-
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I avoid ALL "diet" foods. I just eat what I want of normal foods, in moderation.
  • allenlisa
    allenlisa Posts: 96
    Options
    Small portions of "normal" food and try to eat as many fresh fruits and veggies as possible
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I stay away from all diet foods. I eat real food in moderate portions. I would rather have a small bowl of real ice cream than 10 Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches, and here is why:

Skinny Cow Ingredient List
    skim milk, wafer [bleached wheat flour, sugar, caramel color, dextrose, palm oil, corn flour, high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, baking soda, modified corn starch, salt, mono and diglycerides, soy lecithin, cocoa], sugar, corn syrup, cookie pieces [bleached wheat flour, sugar, palm oil, cocoa processed with alkali, caramel color, high fructose corn syrup, chocolate, leavening (baking soda, ammonium bicarbonate), salt, corn starch, soy lecithin], polydextrose, whey protein, cream, calcium carbonate, Inulin (Dietary Fiber), Propylene Glycol Monostearate, microcrystalline cellulose, Sodium Carboxymethylcellulose, guar gum, monoglycerides, sorbitol, carob bean gum, citric acid, vitamin A palmitate, carrageenan, salt

Ice Cream ingredient list:
    SKIM MILK, CREAM, SUGAR, EGG YOLKS, VANILLA

To me the healthier choice is pretty clear.

I must add that I do eat reduced fat dairy, such as yogurt, milk, etc.
  • candysh0p
    candysh0p Posts: 23 Member
    Options

Yes they are the same but isn't it a way to limit the amount you are eating? I do the Emerald 100 calorie natural almonds, are they bad?

I think they just meant for junk food. Regardless of the size of the packaging, you're still basically eating something that holds little to no nutritional value whatsoever. Almonds are really good for you though, full of healthy fats, some protein and usually a small amount of carbs. Keep eating them, honestly, I have about 100-200 calories worth of almonds every couple of days.