What to do...lifting dilemma

Options
I've been lifting consistently (with dumbbells) and I've been eating pretty much near maintenance since October. I'm not a new lifter by any means, I've been lifting since 2012 but I do reduce my lifting during the summer months.
I've been blessed with genetics in that body recomp comes easy for me and my body responds well to weight lifting, sometimes too well.
I weigh about 10lbs more than I did a year ago however my clothes and measurements are much smaller with the exception of my shoulders.
I've noticed my shirts are tight in the shoulder/upper arm area but really loose in the waist.
I love my upright rows and shoulder presses but I don't want them to keep getting bigger or are they just widening??
I do love the fact that when I first started lifting, I could barely do a 15lb shoulder press and now I'm at 50lbs :smiley:
Should I do less weight /more reps?
More weight /less reps?
Skip shoulders altogether?
Body weight only?
or just keep going and find custom made shirts?!
Some days (like today) I feel like the Hulk and am ready to bust out of my shirt!!!

Replies

• drachfit
    drachfit Posts: 217 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    get new shirts and get the waist tailored.

this will also provide motivation not to get fat again, lest you have to re-buy fat clothes >_<
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    That is quite the dilemma.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Are the pictures not working for anyone else?
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    There are pictures?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    There are pictures?

meaning- it's hard to give you any thoughts if we can't tell what you look like. Are you imagining it or is there something to really be worried about.

Generally speaking- it's a none issue- I've been actively bulking- AND training shoulders 2x a week- they look more shapely but I still fit into all my M shirts. <sadpandaface>
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    There are pictures?

meaning- it's hard to give you any thoughts if we can't tell what you look like. Are you imagining it or is there something to really be worried about.

Generally speaking- it's a none issue- I've been actively bulking- AND training shoulders 2x a week- they look more shapely but I still fit into all my M shirts. <sadpandaface>

Somebody sounds jealous.

Actually, I guess that makes two of us now.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    There are pictures?

Somebody sounds jealous.

I am jealous.
    I want to go to this magical land where you don't have to bulk to get bigger shoulders. Seriously- I HATE training shoulders.
    I yell at them all the time
    GROW DAMNIT.
    I COMMAND YOU TO GROW
  • terem00
    terem00 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I'm dead serious. :/
    I'm 5"4, 140lbs and I wear a size S or XS top or size 4.
    My button up shirts that I wore only last summer are too tight today in the upper arm/shoulder area only. I've lost inches in both my waist and my chest compared to last summer. I went from a 28 inch waist to 26 inch waist and 34 to 32 for my chest.
    So if I lost inches in those areas but my tops are tight, what else it could it be?
  • DaddieCat
    Options
    There are pictures?

Somebody sounds jealous.

I am jealous.
    I want to go to this magical land where you don't have to bulk to get bigger shoulders. Seriously- I HATE training shoulders.
    GROW DAMNIT.
    I COMMAND YOU TO GROW

Who doesn't want cannonball shoulders. Unfortunately, OHP is my weakest lift. Still do it though, along with other shoulder work.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Have you measured your shoulders or upper arms? I'm asking because you've measured your waist and chest so it seems to follow that you'd possibly measure your shoulders as well.

Bottom line, though, I wouldn't stop training shoulders due to a size S or XS shirt fitting a bit tight. I would probably dance around the room pretending to be Chris Farley in a little coat and then I'd go get a couple new shirts.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    There are pictures?

Somebody sounds jealous.

I am jealous.
    GROW DAMNIT.
    I COMMAND YOU TO GROW

Who doesn't want cannonball shoulders. Unfortunately, OHP is my weakest lift. Still do it though, along with other shoulder work.

Seriously. who doesn't.

I think OHP is EVERYONE's weakeset lift.

I actually am doing wide OHP- and then 2x a week a polish off with a super set- 1 day I do side lateral raise with a plate front lateral raise with a twist at the top- and then the other day I do the incline bench reverse lateral raise supersetted with reverse fly.
    GROW> YOU WILL>GROW>
  • DaddieCat
    Options
    There are pictures?

Somebody sounds jealous.

I am jealous.
    GROW DAMNIT.
    I COMMAND YOU TO GROW

Seriously. who doesn't.

I actually am doing wide OHP- and then 2x a week a polish off with a super set- 1 day I do side lateral raise with a plate front lateral raise with a twist at the top- and then the other day I do the incline bench reverse lateral raise supersetted with reverse fly.
    GROW> YOU WILL>GROW>

I like the cut of your jib, lol. We'll all get there provided we work. I'll be incredibly pleased when I burst my first shirt, hulk style.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    terem00 wrote: »
    I'm dead serious. :/
    I'm 5"4, 140lbs and I wear a size S or XS top or size 4.
    My button up shirts that I wore only last summer are too tight today in the upper arm/shoulder area only. I've lost inches in both my waist and my chest compared to last summer. I went from a 28 inch waist to 26 inch waist and 34 to 32 for my chest.
    So if I lost inches in those areas but my tops are tight, what else it could it be?

We sound very similar. I recommend buying tank tops and showing off your awesome shoulders. That's what I do.

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Have you measured your shoulders or upper arms? I'm asking because you've measured your waist and chest so it seems to follow that you'd possibly measure your shoulders as well.

Bottom line, though, I wouldn't stop training shoulders due to a size S or XS shirt fitting a bit tight. I would probably dance around the room pretending to be Chris Farley in a little coat and then I'd go get a couple new shirts.

That. My shoulders are naturally broader than what designers usually allow for my size. I just buy a size up and take in if I feel the need.

I'd change how I was training shoulders if I didn't like the way they looked. Go for maintenance instead of growth.

FWIW, I could see me doing that if I had significant shoulder growth. My shoulders are military-square and I have a short neck. It wouldn't take much to make me look like I had no neck at all.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »

That. My shoulders are naturally broader than what designers usually allow for my size. I just buy a size up and take in if I feel the need.

I'd change how I was training shoulders if I didn't like the way they looked. Go for maintenance instead of growth.

FWIW, I could see me doing that if I had significant shoulder growth. My shoulders are military-square and I have a short neck. It wouldn't take much to make me look like I had no neck at all.

Ditto!
  • bunnerfly
    bunnerfly Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I've always had big ole arms and shoulders. I'm not complaining though. I say embrace your guns and get bigger shirts. ;)
  • JoRocka
    Options
    There are pictures?

Somebody sounds jealous.

I am jealous.
    GROW DAMNIT.
    I COMMAND YOU TO GROW

Seriously. who doesn't.

GROW> YOU WILL>GROW>

I like the cut of your jib, lol. We'll all get there provided we work. I'll be incredibly pleased when I burst my first shirt, hulk style.

;) yasssss.

Please let me know when you do. I'd be super thrilled for you.

I'm going to be buying small shirts just to see of maybe I can burst my shirt. That indeed would please me.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I had someone tell me last week: :"I'm only lifting ten pound weights because I don't want my shoulders to get bulky like yours. I don't like it." My shoulders are my favorite part of my body, so to each their own. I too say embrace your guns and get bigger shirts. I love shoulders! I love working them, they are a strength of mine, and I love showing them off. I love looking at them on other people. Shoulders make me swoon.