Coping with Fat During Bulk

Eating about 1,600 on gym days (5' and weigh 114 lbs.) and have been steadily building muscle all-around. Also have noticed my stomach is bloated 80% of the time. I know this is normal, but how do you deal? Should I be incorporating more cardio, lifting heavier, more often, etc.? I go to the gym for a 40-minute lift sesh (at least...a lot of times it ends up being longer), 15-minutes cardio and 20-minutes of stretching on a daily basis. My stomach was never "toned" and now the upper area appears solid and toned most of the time, but what gets me is the layer of fat/bloat on my lower mid-section. How do you cope with this, mentally and physically? It will automatically decrease when I start cutting? How long do I need to cut for in order to see the results of all this bulking? I have a vacation in July (which is the reason I am going so hard at the gym) and just want to be prepared for how far in advance I should start cutting.

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Are you really bulking on 1600 calories? If you're running a 250 calorie surplus that would put your TDEE at 1350 and that is highly unlikely. How much weight have you gained?

You know how I cope with the fat? I focus on performance in the gym. I am hitting PRs every. single. session. I could walk in feeling blue about my belly, but I walk out not caring at all. I wear leggings when I'm extra bloated, and have some new chunky sweaters to wear when I feel like I need to hide a little.

I don't know about bulking and cutting for summer at this point. I have been bulking since November and will probably start cutting in April for summer, and I consider that a pretty short bulk.

As far as incorporating more cardio...if you do that, you just have to eat more. You don't want to be in a deficit. So, I don't really suggest it. Making sure your routine is on point and you are adding weight consistently is key.
  • viren19890
    viren19890 Posts: 778 Member
    Usually 12 weeks should do it-as long as you are below 20% bf -now this is a very vague estimate.

Depending -it could take longer or even shorter depending on various factor.

Like above poster said- are you really even bulking?

How about eating clean but caloric dense food which would increase calorie intake with less fat to worry about?
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    viren19890 wrote: »
    Usually 12 weeks should do it-as long as you are below 20% bf -now this is a very vague estimate.

How about eating clean but caloric dense food which would increase calorie intake with less fat to worry about?

My maintenance level is 1350 - I went from 104 lbs. to 114 lbs. in 6 months. I eat clean on a daily basis and have a protein goal of 114 grams with a sugar goal of 25-40 grams. So I keep all the crap food to a minimum. I've gained an inch on my booty, but hoping to gain two more by summer. Just need to step it up with the leg days and get more variation, which I am trying to do each and every session. Recently opted away from hypertrophic training and am doing 5-7 reps (4 sets) of the highest weight I can handle. Trying to bulk as quickly as possible while still staying healthy.
  • arditarose

It doesn't work like this. A surplus is a surplus. You will gain some fat in whether you eat clean or eat all processed food.
  • arditarose

My maintenance level is 1350 - I went from 104 lbs. to 114 lbs. in 6 months. I eat clean on a daily basis and have a protein goal of 114 grams with a sugar goal of 25-40 grams. So I keep all the crap food to a minimum. I've gained an inch on my booty, but hoping to gain two more by summer. Just need to step it up with the leg days and get more variation, which I am trying to do each and every session. Recently opted away from hypertrophic training and am doing 5-7 reps (4 sets) of the highest weight I can handle. Trying to bulk as quickly as possible while still staying healthy.

As I've stated in your other thread...you really should pick a program. If you want size then you DO want hypertrophy training as well.
  • viren19890

You used a calculator to do all the math right. Simple math says 114 x 10 - is your caloric need- bmr
    So you are eating 210 over your required. Which isn't a lot -so umm you shouldn't be bloated.

Have you tried eliminating certain foods from your diet to see how your stomach reacts to them?

Also- your level should stay same on off days as well because the number that calculator throws out is an average of daily. You build muscle on off days as well.

Another thing to note. Just cause you are working out more-doesn't translate into getting a "bigger booty" faster lol

I've cut down my weight training from 5 days a week to 2 days a week and other days I do boxing. I feel better and still maintaining my muscle mass.

Look into Abbreviated training. Just lift as heavy as you can and workout smart not hard.
  • viren19890
    arditarose wrote: »

It doesn't work like this. A surplus is a surplus. You will gain some fat in whether you eat clean or eat all processed food.

for real?

so if my calories are coming from proper food vs mcdonalds- it won't make a difference?
    I thought it could help with her bloated feeling.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member

If you are trying to bulk on muscle, a hypertrophy program would be what you really want...and you should really do some kind of established program for best results.

Yeah, you'll put on some bulk doing a strength program...but it's far more efficient to do a hypertrophy program...given that's what a hypertrophy program is designed for.
  • arditarose

for real?

so if my calories are coming from proper food vs mcdonalds- it won't make a difference?

For real. Obviously we want to get a good percentage of our intake from minimally processed, whole foods to help meet our micronutrients but for fat loss/gain/maintenance...it does not matter if you "eat clean". What does that even mean?
  • viren19890

for real?

For real. Obviously we want to get a good percentage of our intake from minimally processed, whole foods to help meet our micronutrients but for fat loss/gain/maintenance...it does not matter if you "eat clean". What does that even mean?

So that Sorcery "If it fits your macros" is true.

Why does anyone eat clean at all then -

I have noticed though that McDonalds n all -aren't well balanced though
  • viren19890
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

If you are trying to bulk on muscle, a hypertrophy program would be what you really want...and you should really do some kind of established program for best results.

Yeah, you'll put on some bulk doing a strength program...but it's far more efficient to do a hypertrophy program...given that's what a hypertrophy program is designed for.

for a drug free lifter -the best thing to do is lift heavy that's it. No need to go into hypertrophy and all that.

Just do the major lifts Deadlifts, Squats, bench, dips, pull ups -that's it. Lift heavy - it'll bring strength and size.
  • arditarose

for a drug free lifter -the best thing to do is lift heavy that's it. No need to go into hypertrophy and all that.

Just do the major lifts Deadlifts, Squats, bench, dips, pull ups -that's it. Lift heavy - it'll bring strength and size.

Where are you getting your info?!
  • boofmylumpia
    boofmylumpia Posts: 43 Member
    She's right. 50 grams of carbs from organic sweet potato or 50 grams of carbs from ice cream will be the same amount of calories and will both turn to blood glucose (sugar) one way or another. The difference is how fast it is digested and its micronutrient benefits. In this scenario the carbs from the organic sweet potato will be beneficial because of its fiber and micronutrients while on the other hand the ice cream doesn't.
  • arditarose

While you can gain muscle in the power/strength range...if you're running a bulk why would you NOT TRAIN HYPERTROPHY? It's the perfect time to do it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member

I'm a drug free lifter...I put on size faster with a hypertrophy program designed to put on size...I gain more strength doing a strength program...yes, I can also put on size, but not as efficiently as with a high volume hypertrophy program...where yes, the foundation of any solid program is going to be compounds...but hypertrophy programs are for...wait for it...hypertrophy....
  • viren19890

I'm a drug free lifter...I put on size faster with a hypertrophy program designed to put on size...I gain more strength doing a strength program...yes, I can also put on size, but not as efficiently as with a high volume hypertrophy program...where yes, the foundation of any solid program is going to be compounds...but hypertrophy programs are for...wait for it...hypertrophy....

Ok...this is thread will go off topic and will seem like I hijacked it but programs like 5/3/1 Big and Beyond -help you gain strength and size.

Size comes from eating in surplus -yes ?
    Strength comes from lifting heavy -yes ?

What am I missing?

Hypertrophy like the youtube videos suggest give you a relatively small pump. Which will fade away if you don't train or stop eating surplus.

There are two types of muscle groups yes? Type 1 and type 2 right? There is also sacroplasmic and myfibrillar growth yes?

5/3/1 achieves both. What is that program called? Strength program.

If your strength is increasing, body will have no option but to grown as long as you are eating right.
    Yes- doing more reps will give you pump but how will you retain enough fluids to keep that pump once you leave the gym and start cutting? Creatine? that will be temporary.

If your size came from strength programs- it'll be solid muscle which will stay with you even in maintenance.

Now, I've put forth what I know. If I'm wrong -I'm ready to learn.
  • klrenn
    klrenn Posts: 245 Member
    edited February 2016
    Eating about 1,600 on gym days (5' and weigh 114 lbs.) and have been steadily building muscle all-around. Also have noticed my stomach is bloated 80% of the time. I know this is normal, but how do you deal? Should I be incorporating more cardio, lifting heavier, more often, etc.? I go to the gym for a 40-minute lift sesh (at least...a lot of times it ends up being longer), 15-minutes cardio and 20-minutes of stretching on a daily basis. My stomach was never "toned" and now the upper area appears solid and toned most of the time, but what gets me is the layer of fat/bloat on my lower mid-section. How do you cope with this, mentally and physically? It will automatically decrease when I start cutting? How long do I need to cut for in order to see the results of all this bulking? I have a vacation in July (which is the reason I am going so hard at the gym) and just want to be prepared for how far in advance I should start cutting.

I would say that stomach bloating isn't normal necessarily. That isn't an effect of the bulk (it's not fat). If you're trying to eat "clean" it might be the particular veggies that are affecting your digestive system giving you that bloated feeling. I know for me a high sodium day plus a lot of green veggies gives me that belly.

As for the actual fat that I gained...if I actually look at the muscle I gained, the fat just adds a softness to my body - I really like the structure and shape and if I look at the whole picture, I kinda like the whole look (if I focus my attention on my problem areas, then I get into a bad mindset)

I've found that when I cut the fat comes off last in the places I want lose first. I don't hold fat in my stomach. It all goes to the back of my legs and butt.

As for cutting, you don't want to lose too quickly or you'll lose some of that hard earned muscle. I just finished a 15lb bulk and am planning on spreading my 8-10lb loss over the next 4-5months to be ready for bikini season :smile:
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member

Ok...this is thread will go off topic and will seem like I hijacked it but programs like 5/3/1 Big and Beyond -help you gain strength and size.

Size comes from eating in surplus -yes ?
    Strength comes from lifting heavy -yes ?

What am I missing?

Hypertrophy like the youtube videos suggest give you a relatively small pump. Which will fade away if you don't train or stop eating surplus.

There are two types of muscle groups yes? Type 1 and type 2 right? There is also sacroplasmic and myfibrillar growth yes?

5/3/1 achieves both. What is that program called? Strength program.

If your strength is increasing, body will have no option but to grown as long as you are eating right.
    Yes- doing more reps will give you pump but how will you retain enough fluids to keep that pump once you leave the gym and start cutting? Creatine? that will be temporary.

If your size came from strength programs- it'll be solid muscle which will stay with you even in maintenance.

Now, I've put forth what I know. If I'm wrong -I'm ready to learn.

You're on a roll. Now bonus points if you can explain why bodybuilders primarily use hypertrophy programs when trying to bulk.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    The bookmarked website I used which was home to the full research review is no longer available but here is a caption of the important table defining variables for optimal gains in lean mass. Read the first and second columns as they are geared towards absolute novices and intermediate lifters.

Source: The influence on frequency, volume and training mode on cross sectional muscle mass. Wernbom M, Augustsson J, Thomee R.

24kw406.png
  • biodigit
    biodigit Posts: 145 Member
    I don't know about everyone else, but the best results have been yielded for me when I stay within the rep range of 5-8. Of course, as I get to smaller accessory exercises, I would veer off to 10-12 range, but that's on the minimum side and when I just have nothing left in the tank.

According to Lyle Mcdonald the most efficient muscle recruitment happens at 80%-85%

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/reps-per-set-for-optimal-growth.html/
    the body will recruit more fibers up to about 80-85% of maximum; above that point, there is no further recruitment and force output is improved via rate coding.

For most people, 80-85% of maximum is roughly 5-8 repetitions there is variance in this between individuals and perhaps muscle groups (for example, some people find that they can get 12-15 repetitions at 85% of maximum in some leg movements).

the answer that repeatedly comes up among people in the field who aren’t clueless: 5-8 repetitions. If you had to pick a single rep range to work at to optimize the growth response, it would 5-8 reps per set.