Bringing low cal popcorn to movies

Options
Is it ok to eat popcorn while toning stomach ? My friend wants to see a movie but I'm not buying movie theatre popcorn so I'm bringing my own low fat

Replies

• peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Low fat food will not help you lose body fat.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I thought outside food and drinks are prohibited in movie theaters. I mean, that doesn't mean people don't smuggle food in... but I mean....

Anyway, eating popcorn has nothing to do with "toning your stomach" or whatever that means, since you can't spot reduce. If you mean eating popcorn while eating in a calorie deficit, there's nothing wrong with popcorn, just fit it into your calorie goal.
  • ainarsraciks
    ainarsraciks Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Fit it into your calories and it's fine. As long as you are in calorie deficit you can have popcorn, no matter of bland air popped or oil popped with extra melted chocolate and sugar on, as long as you still are in calorie deficit.
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    I thought outside food and drinks are prohibited in movie theaters. I mean, that doesn't mean people don't smuggle food in... but I mean....

Anyway, eating popcorn has nothing to do with "toning your stomach" or whatever that means, since you can't spot reduce. If you mean eating popcorn while eating in a calorie deficit, there's nothing wrong with popcorn, just fit it into your calorie goal.

I'd smuggle in my own popcorn just because the theatre price is ridiculous.
    +1 on the rest
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Ask for your popcorn with no "butter" on it. It's still popped in oil, but the butter flavor they pump on adds a lot of calories. A lot of theaters will kick you out if they see that you've brought in your own food.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »

+1 on the rest

I do agree that the prices are ridiculous. But smuggling in a bag of popcorn just seems... like poor etiquette or something. Plus I'd be worried the staff would smell the popcorn coming from my purse and turn me away or something. Candy on the otherhand.... I always bring raisinettes ;)
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options

Apologies for the derail but I just wanted to comment on this point!

We happen to know the people who run our local small movie theatre, and we've learned from them that concession prices are so high because that's how they make profit and stay in business. Movies cost so much to hire, especially for small theatres, that they rarely make that money back on ticket sales. Food and drink is their lifeline, which is why they dislike people taking in their own snacks.

So, if you just grumble about the price but buy the popcorn anyway, you're helping your local cinema to stay in business. :smile:

Okay, sorry about that - carry on! :blush:
  • seekingbetterme
    seekingbetterme Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    A small popcorn from the AMC without the added butter is only 225 calories. If you're really worried about calories, just bring in a 100 calorie bag of Smart Pop. I definitely prefer movie theater popcorn though so I just make sure to fit in into my daily calorie limit.