Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Protein consumption per meal

kensplanet
kensplanet Posts: 1 Member
I've read several articles across the net which claim that the body can absorb only a certain amount of protein per meal (typically 20-25 grams/meal).
Anything over that threshold will be converted into fat or glucose.

I have mentioned my approximate protein intake every meal on strength training days below.
I consume enough carbohydrates and fats and am not much bothered about it.
I've realized that I consume more than 25 grams during breakfast and sometimes during dinner.

Weight: 175 pounds
Height: 5 ft 10 in
Body Fat: Should be 20%

--PROTEIN CONSUMPTION / MEAL---

Pre-Workout: 0g
Breakfast (Post-Workout) : 45g (Whey + Milk + Oatmeal)
Morning Snack: 20g
Lunch: 30g
Afternoon Snack: 10g
Dinner: 30g
Before Sleep and 1 hour after Dinner : 15g (Greek Yoghurt)

Does this mean that the excess proteins consumed are wasted?
Are there any better strategies for protein consumption?

Replies

• AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    I've read several articles across the net which claim that the body can absorb only a certain amount of protein per meal (typically 20-25 grams/meal).

Not correct^
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    edited February 2016
    I don't believe so. My nutritionist and other doctors said that the more protein a dieter can eat, the better. While it's true that excess protein can mess with your kidneys, that threshold is extremely difficult to cross. In addition to facilitating satiety, adequate protein consumption is especially important for healthy recovery, be it from exercise or surgery/other trauma. I, for instance, am fighting a wound. That requires protein so that the damaged tissue can be reconstructed. Just my $0.02, of course.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    edited February 2016
    This "per meal" thing is complete humbug. What even would be considered a meal? Some people have 3 spaced out over 12 hours, other people eat every other hour. If I ate every 30 minutes, would each be a meal?

In fact, the first thing that would prove that wrong would be the various studies looking at how increased protein intake results in more muscle gains. They've measured slight advantages going up to 1 g per pound of weight (or lean mass) and more which is 150+ grams in a day for athletic guys, and I assure you they were not all eating 6+ meals per day.

That said, there is a maximum amount your body can work with per day, just because it can't process it any faster. It's dependent on your size and is >200 grams. You can look up the wikipedia article for Rabbit Starvation if you're interested.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    I thought that 30-40 grams of protein (eggs etc..) is best when combined with carbs somewhat low fats post workout. Whey protein is great for post workout because of the its high leucine content so you can use less of it.And it absorbs better. Like a serving of whey protein is enough. Timing really does not matter. But I know I am usually hungry after working out. I believe excess protein will just turn to carbs. If you need 60 grams of protein at the end of the day...just eat it to get what your limit is for the day. No big deal.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    There's not much of a limit. Your body will chyme in that is has enough protein at once.
  • guslandrum
    guslandrum Posts: 27 Member
    Metabolize vs synthesis.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    20 - 25 grams per meal is claimed by some to be about the level where you start to build lean tissue - the so called "anabolic threshold".
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    The only concern is that excess can be converted to glycogen and then stored as fat.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    20 grams about right.
This discussion has been closed.