How often should I weigh?

Options
I'm thinking once a week. What do y'all think?

Replies

• stan9280
    stan9280 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Once a week, same time same day same attire. Too many fluctuations during it once a day. :)
  • Blondiebear23
    Blondiebear23 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'm buying a scale this weekend so I'm thinking I will weigh Sunday or Monday. :)
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter as long as your consistent.
    I like to weigh daily. I use a site called trendweight to watch overall trends. The site smooths out all the normal fluctuations from day to day and TOM to show me exactly what's happening to my weight.

- Some people will never weigh in. They rely on pictures, measurements, and/or how clothes fit.
    - Some people weigh in once a month.
    - Some people weigh in every other week.
    - Some people weigh in weekly.
    - Some weigh in 2-3 days a week.
    - Some weigh in daily.

All that really matters is that you pick a method that is comfortable for you and keep the conditions the same. Lightest weight will be first thing in the morning after using the bathroom, before shower/breakfast/drinking anything, and naked.

I highly recommend using an app like Happy Scale (iOS) or Libra (Android) to track your weight trends. This way, even when the scale shows no loss or a gain, you can look and confirm that your weight is moving in the direction you want it to.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Every morning, or on a fixed day per cycle, if you cycle and your weight varies with it ;)

Weight fluctuates daily, because of water retention and digestion. These fluctuations from day to day are normal, and often larger than a healthy weekly weight loss. This can make weekly weigh-ins mask real weight loss, if you happen to weigh on a "high" or "low" day; daily weigh-ins will show you all the fluctuations. Programs like Libra, Trendweight and Happy Scale can smooth out the graph and show you the trend. There are lots of discussions about this on the board.

Some people freak out by seeing those fluctuations, others freak out by not seeing them. Ultimately, it's how you react to the display that must tell you how often you should step on the scale.
  • Blondiebear23
    Options
    That's for all the helpful information. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me.
  • MyBoyG
    MyBoyG Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I agree with once a week, first thing in the morning, same clothes if not naked. Weight fluctuates throughout the day and say to day as there are time you retain water, sometimes not. Carbs and salt will hold water every time.
  • mldoucette
    mldoucette Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, twice. Once in the morning, and again when I get home from work. I am aware that my morning weight will always be lower than my end of day weight. For MFP, I log weekly, always after work, even though it is the higher weight.
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Once a week, in the birthday suit. I call it, the Sunday Showdown.
  • Blondiebear23
    Options
    Sunday Showdown LOL I like that.
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Sat morning ( fasting ) at the gym, after I work out is my routine.

You need a consistent state to get a valuable reading. Fasting in the morning ( whatever day works best for you ) is the way to go.

If your doing it right, the only changes your going to see from more frequent weigh ins is water retention changes.
  • bruhaha007
    bruhaha007 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    You can weigh yourself more or less often, our bodies fluctuate quite a bit but you obviously need to monitor the trend over time. I would take measurements and monitor total inches lost in addition to the scale as the scale doesn't always reflect the results you are achieving.
  • Blondiebear23
    Options
    I hadn't even thought about monitoring inches. Good idea! Thanks Bru
  • samchez0
    samchez0 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    However often you want. I weigh everyday and track it in another app. I only record my weight in here on Fridays though.