HRM

Options
Fochizzy
Fochizzy Posts: 505 Member
So my HRM says I am burning more than anywhere else. It is 100 more than the machine says and 50 higher than MFP is it really more accurate, I am hestitant to dive in and eat more calories based on it. Thought?

Replies

• jimmie25
    jimmie25 Posts: 266
    Options
    hrm is always more accurate cos its connected to your heartbeat.
  • jonikeffer
    jonikeffer Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a cheap-o HRM, it's always going to be the most accurate because it has the most info about you (age, gender, weight, etc). Do you have a chest strap? If so you're good to go. If you have only a watch, it's *possible* that it isn't working right.
  • misssmiles
    misssmiles Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    i just posted a similar question. the responses were mostly to trust the HRM... but keep in mind everything is an estimate... i never eat back all of my exercise calories... but i do come close.
  • zumbasalsera
    Options
    I personally would go with the more conservative reading so I didn't overeat. And after having tried two different HRMs this month and getting VERY different readings, I'm convinced that they are not 100% perfect all of the time.
  • cjjones007
    cjjones007 Posts: 602
    Options
    It will depend on the HRM to be honest, if you have one that is considered accurate (based on reviews, etc.) then yes I'd trust it - my FT4 always reports me with higher burns - generally 190% of what the machines report - sometimes lower then MFP, sometimes higher depending on the exercise... but always within 10% of MFP

Now - when I'm within 10% and I show higher? - I'm with Zumbasalsera - I go more conservative just in case... :)
  • Fochizzy
    Fochizzy Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a cheap-o HRM, it's always going to be the most accurate because it has the most info about you (age, gender, weight, etc). Do you have a chest strap? If so you're good to go. If you have only a watch, it's *possible* that it isn't working right.

I do have a chest strap, it was around $100 so not super cheap.
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    My HRM (a Polar FT4) has consistently shown higher burns than MFP so I go with the HRM and eat back 75% of my calories most of the time... depending on the day. :)