BMI, body fat percentage, waist measurement

Options
2»

Replies

• thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Great job on the weight loss so far. Unfortunately it sounds like you have a body shape which means you hold more weight in the tummy area. We just have to work with what we have.

I haven't been in a healthy bmi for years but I am not that far off getting under 80cm for waist. My bf well I am not sure my home scale and what I see in pictures indicate I have a few% to go but online Calcs still have me at almost 50%! And hip to waist ratio is below avg I am not sure what my goal weight is because of all of this. I know I am not there so I am still plodding away but hoping I'll just know when I am 'there'. Basically for me it's likely to be top of my bmi but I'll likely be low risk on all other indicators.
  • neutroncore
    neutroncore Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Isileth wrote: »
    I don't have an answer, but let me start off with saying BMI is utter BS. I'm on 14% Bodyfat and my BMI is in the overweight range. I have to lose another 24lbs to achieve "Normal" BMI, ain't NEVER gonna happen! I also have a thick waist due to powerlifting and my general build, so a waistline below 80cm would be very hard to achieve. I'm 5 ft 5 and 174.9lbs.

BMI is not absolute BS when used appropriately

Appropriately is as a population measure to give general population health risks and not as an individual

Those with higher muscle mass can fall in the overweight / obese category of this population measure and have great health markers.

But most use the BMI is BS as an excuse, most aren't within this category of pro athlete / bodybuilder

For the majority, 70-80% of the population the BMI scale is an OK guideline of where their ideal weight range should potentially lie within ...for most it's a good enough initial goal to aim for top BMI and reassess when nearing

Waistline on the other hand is beginning to be seen as a more reliable measure of health markers

I couldn't agree more.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Isileth wrote: »
    I don't have an answer, but let me start off with saying BMI is utter BS. I'm on 14% Bodyfat and my BMI is in the overweight range. I have to lose another 24lbs to achieve "Normal" BMI, ain't NEVER gonna happen! I also have a thick waist due to powerlifting and my general build, so a waistline below 80cm would be very hard to achieve. I'm 5 ft 5 and 174.9lbs.

BMI is not absolute BS when used appropriately

Appropriately is as a population measure to give general population health risks and not as an individual

Those with higher muscle mass can fall in the overweight / obese category of this population measure and have great health markers.

But most use the BMI is BS as an excuse, most aren't within this category of pro athlete / bodybuilder

For the majority, 70-80% of the population the BMI scale is an OK guideline of where their ideal weight range should potentially lie within ...for most it's a good enough initial goal to aim for top BMI and reassess when nearing

Waistline on the other hand is beginning to be seen as a more reliable measure of health markers

I :heart: you, @rabbitjb :)