Been diagnosed with with type 2 diabetes

Options
Hello My name is Bob,I'm new to my fitness pal,just this month I was told that I was a diabetic,it wasn't really any shock,I've been struggling with pre -diabetes since 2008, so I'll be checking in everyday.I'm finding it hard to find the food I don't know if i need to be more specific or what

Replies

• Summerberry1012
    Summerberry1012 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    MFP has a lot of generic food choices, but yes... you can put in a specific brand or even scan the barcode on the package to get more precise food entries. MFP's food database doesn't have everything but they have one of the best databases I've ever used (especially for Canadian brands). For items I can't find the specific brand for I just pick one that's close enough. You can also make a new recipe entry for your homemade stuff.
  • Jack_NYC
    Jack_NYC Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm T2D also. Welcome.
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    It is frustrating, isn't it, to try to log food that doesn't quite fit the database? Often I log the main ingredients separately. It seems to work well enough; I've been losing steadily. What kind of foods are you trying to log that you can't find a suitable entry for?

By the way, there's lots of information on these threads about T2 diabetes. You'll find many, many people reporting that a substantial loss of weight has brought their numbers under control or even nearly eliminated their diabetes. There's usually a lot of talk about what things a diabetic should eat, but a good case can be made that it's much more important how much you eat.
  • roxymuller
    roxymuller Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi I have just been recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I have been doing not to bad eating. I was told by the pharmacist to eat breads that are whole grain. I also found that I have to log my food separately but for the most part, the brands I have been using are in the database. What I do find is that there are days that I struggle to eat my allotted food amount. feel free to add me as a friend.
  • scrapqueen153
    scrapqueen153 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I see I'm in good company! I just got diagnosed with T2D this month and last night I joined MFP and downloaded this app! Would love to add you as friends for support and advise! Thank you☺️
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    You'll find many, many people reporting that a substantial loss of weight has brought their numbers under control or even nearly eliminated their diabetes.

Joined MFP in June 2012 after I got dx'd with Type 2. Already had hypertension & high chol/triglyceride issues and on a total of 4 meds & then added Metformin.

YMMV but I lost the weight, no longer am considered to have ANY of the above issues and no longer on any meds.

Wishing you the same success I had. One day, one pound, one step at a time. This is a lifestyle change and if you keep your mindset in the right place, you can do this.

m7v4eao0vuqk.png