The weekends are killing me!

Options
I am normally a social person, since my commitment to MFP and exercise, I have slowed down on eating and drinking, but this weekend I am hosting a party for my husband. It's a surprise so we are going out for dinner and drinks beforehand and then to his surprise birthday party. I want to be committed to my calorie limits, but I don't want to be a downer for his birthday.

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    For drinks, avoid mixed sugary drinks.
    Ask for light beer or diet coke and rum.
    A margarita can sometimes be 600 calories.
    Eat a salad for lunch
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Plan better next time. If I have an event to attend, I eat a little less everyday so I can have a little fun on the weekend.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    A birthday comes around once a year. As long as you aren't going out every weekend for someone's birthday, having dinner and drinks to celebrate a birthday isn't a big deal.

Enjoy the party and focus on what your "normal" weekend is. If your normal weekend involves a lot of eating and drinking then pick lighter choices and perhaps do some extra exercise to offset the extra calories.
  • piggysmalls333
    piggysmalls333 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Have a great time and don't let it spoil your fun! You can always ask the waiter to box 1/2 to take home later. OR just go nuts for the special occasion and get back on track Monday. Weekends are hard for me too and I try to be stricter during the week to allow for a little freedom on the weekends if possible..
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Eat lighter for the rest of the day and plan ahead. I can go out to eat and have a drink and stick to my calories. But I have to plan my day around it. I always look at the menu ahead of time and plan what I'm eating. I factor in a drink (I usually don't want to sacrifice what it would take to save calories for more than one) and I have a good time.

Go in with a game plan and you'll be much more successful than winging it.
  • jodiewest4567
    jodiewest4567 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    *You* ... are "killing you".

Weekends are just an excuse.

Nobody really cares what you eat or drink. Being a "downer" is all in your head and part of your excuse script.

This is just what I needed to hear today - thank you!!!
  • Kelceybyers
    Kelceybyers Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    It's his birthday. You shouldn't be counting calories but the candles you're putting on the cake you can enjoy. Life's too short to worry about a day that's supposed to be about celebrating. Even if you do go over your calories for this one day it's ok. The world doesn't end. You get up the next day and get right back to it. Don't let life's celebrations slip by because it might go over your calorie limit!!
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    It's his birthday. You shouldn't be counting calories but the candles you're putting on the cake you can enjoy. Life's too short to worry about a day that's supposed to be about celebrating. Even if you do go over your calories for this one day it's ok. The world doesn't end. You get up the next day and get right back to it. Don't let life's celebrations slip by because it might go over your calorie limit!!

Yes, life is too short - Have no guilt, eat, drink and be merry for your husband's sake - it's a special day and you can get back on it the next day!
  • MarziDeThrall
    MarziDeThrall Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Plan better next time. If I have an event to attend, I eat a little less everyday so I can have a little fun on the weekend.

I have seen this many times in the threads and I was just wondering if the cut calories have to be before the big event. Or could you eat less calories for a few days afterwards to make up the difference? I have been really good at not going over, but it's only day 13 and no one is perfect (especially me, lol). Just wondering if both ways would work.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

^^This.
    mldoucette wrote: »
    I want to be committed to my calorie limits, but I don't want to be a downer for his birthday.

Enjoy the party and do the best you can. And the only way you can be a "downer for his birthday" is if you whine about how you can't eat this, shouldn't eat that, etc. So don't do that.
  • piggysmalls333
    piggysmalls333 Posts: 450 Member
    Options

I have seen this many times in the threads and I was just wondering if the cut calories have to be before the big event. Or could you eat less calories for a few days afterwards to make up the difference? I have been really good at not going over, but it's only day 13 and no one is perfect (especially me, lol). Just wondering if both ways would work.

A week before a big event I don't drastically cut calories but I do tighten up my diet my removing all breads and/or dairy. No high sodium food either. If I skip dinner, I always am 1lb lighter in the morning so sometimes I will do that the night before depending on how tight that dress is! Mind you, this is are just emergency crash diet mode for me, not a
    Healthy sustainable plan for every day.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Agreed with 'plan for it'.

It's my kids' birthday party this afternoon (well, the first of two), and I'm planning on having pizza and cake (but only the chocolate one, and if there is some left after everyone had a piece)... I will just probably skip dinner and have a light lunch. Or just eat at maintenance for a day. Not the end of the world.

But as usual, during special events, I don't eat something I don't really want... I don't really want any of the funfetti cake (ok possibly because I had two cupcakes of the same thing yesterday, but still), so I won't have any even if it's the only option I have.
  • tabletmfp
    tabletmfp Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Do enjoy yourself and don't worry about calories. Just compensate the following week. I am in maintenance and I do this every week. I eat and drink anything I want in any amounts on Saturday evenings. Then on Mon we'd and Fri I stick to 650 calories. Tue,thus and sun are 1600 calories. I reckon I eat an extra 2000 calories on Saturday evenings. On average it all works out around 1400 per day which is my tdee. This has worked for me for a few months. You could try it for a week OP, or some variation that suits you!
  • samchez0
    samchez0 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Enjoy yourself. I usually eat at maintenance on weekends because we tend to eat out. I'm still noticing around a 1 lb loss for week. I guess it helps that I don't expect drastic results so I'm not worried if my weekend maintenance is slowing me down a little.
  • mldoucette
    mldoucette Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the input. I had a light lunch and did extra time on the treadmill so I think I got this. I also checked the menu for the restaurant and will be better prepared.
  • Mirasaki
    Mirasaki Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'd say enjoy yourself but don't go crazy with it. When I go out I try to chose better options such as vegetarian burgers rather than meat ones, and side salads instead of chips. Enjoy yourself and don't worry too much, but try your best to do 'damage control' :)
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    The occasional night out on the town is fine (and probably unavoidable) but there are other things you can do with your friends on other weekends... what if you all volunteered somewhere together, or went on a hike, or anything like that... if what your doing is going to a restaurant and sitting around food all the time.. of course you will slip.
  • danieljbock1991
    danieljbock1991 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    In pretty much see it as having a cheat meal, once every 4 days or so I have a carb load day and enjoy a bit more carbs. It helps to keep the metabolism strong and burning. So, not sure if it means much but hey, enjoy a night and get back to your grind. Their is no problem with enjoying an evening with your lover, and pick it back up the next morning.