What do you do on the elliptical/treadmill/bike?

Options
I was just curious what other people do during cardio exercises. I have found that music and audiobooks have been really helpful for me, but it doesn't hurt to add to things I could do.

Replies

• ironhajee
    ironhajee Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Hello there! This is a FUN question!

Everyone tends to have their own style to make workouts more fun and less boring. I really like to customize music Playlists depending on my "objective" for that day.

So for example, on a Recovery day I'll maybe listen to more slow easy going music. On a Harder day I'll listen to music that's gets me pumped, motivated, inspired or excited!

Having said that, it's important to have some quiet sessions when you can just listen to your rythm. For example, when you are running on a treadmill. Take a moment to unplug, listen to your footstrikes, now listen to your breathing, feel the muscles working together and enjoy :)

Sometimes my music cuts out and it's silent and I notice that my breathing is too heavy so I refocus and relax :)

Often on the Cardio Bike if it's a super long easy session you can watch a funny movie/video from your phone. Or if you start doing more cardio bike maybe find a youtube "Spin class" and follow along from your tablet/phone etc...

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    mscoutable wrote: »
    I was just curious what other people do during cardio exercises. I have found that music and audiobooks have been really helpful for me, but it doesn't hurt to add to things I could do.

I don't use an elliptical, and run outside in the real.

On my bike and turbo trainer I'm working too hard to be able to read our watch anything. I use the Sufferfest to guide my training, so generally an hour of threshold or high intensity work.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Outdoor cycling - no other stimulus required as I'm in beautiful countryside or dodging errant homicidal maniacs in cars.

Indoors - TV, radio, music playlists (including one from my daughter called "dance like a Dad").

Long steady state cardio is an opportunity to watch some TV.

Interval training is generally more mentally stimulating as you have to think the whole time - currently doing six minute low/high intervals for over an hour but building up to twelve minute intervals (eek!).
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    On the stationary bike i like to pick a 'course'. Usually pick the Paris one.

I like watching a movie (that ive seen before or else i feel like i might miss something if its new) or watch a bunch of youtube videos for x amount of time i want to be on the Elliptical. Music can be good too

• KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I just love my music. I find I pick up the pace on the elliptical with a fast song. I don't watch TV while on it, I stare at the dots on the screen where it shows my program, best for my concentration. Yesterday I did 45 minutes on it going backwards the entire time. My calf muscles feel it this morning!
  • mscoutable
    mscoutable Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses everyone! I do like to go outdoors, but it is a little cold where I usually run/walk (It is by a windy pond). I will definitely have to mix up some different playlists and listen for some classes on YouTube! :smile:
  • swift13b
    swift13b Posts: 158 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    99% of the time when I'm on the elliptical, all I'm thinking about is when I can get off the damn thing. I play music in the background and sometimes watch tv/youtube.

When I walk/run outside, I just listen to music. I don't think I could listen to a podcast as I use the beat to guide my pacing.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    20 min Sprint 8 program.
  • ltworide
    ltworide Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I very seldom use these machines, during early spring I'll do some intervals on the dreadmill to rebase myself for outdoor runs. I take Krav Mags classes & find that gives me enough cardio. I also like skipping or using rhe rowing machine or doing bodyweight &/or using weights in a circuit as cardio.
  • The_Pace
    The_Pace Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have downloaded shows that I only allow myself to watch while on the treadmill (walking at a brisk pace). That is how I went thru the entire series of Entourage!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    As little as possible...I cycle in the great wide open whenever possible. When the weather is *kitten* or I cant otherwise get in a good ride, I will opt for some piece of cardio equipment just to get in some cardiovascular work...generally I just have to push through every boring and unsatisfactory minute of whatever I'm doing.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Netflix!
  • emilycat214
    emilycat214 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    On the treadmill I listen to music (Pandora Classic Rock Power Workout channel) and the Zombies Run app. Recently, my gym got some fancy new treadmills that will show scenic running videos on the console, so instead of staring at the timer (makes time go slower, I swear) or the tv news (boring and/or depressing), I can distract myself with lovely scenery from Germany and Northern California and New Zealand, etc.
  • sweets1973
    sweets1973 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I listen to my music
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    On the treadmill I listen to music (Pandora Classic Rock Power Workout channel) and the Zombies Run app. Recently, my gym got some fancy new treadmills that will show scenic running videos on the console, so instead of staring at the timer (makes time go slower, I swear) or the tv news (boring and/or depressing), I can distract myself with lovely scenery from Germany and Northern California and New Zealand, etc.

I love those scenery courses. Probably the only way I'll ever see them. Think that was a guy wandering through with a gopro on his head?

• valente347
    valente347 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    My husband watches Netflix, but no matter how much my cardio abilities improve, I can't focus on anything but music. It needs to be pretty fast-paced, so I either make my own playlist or turn to the reggaeton channel on Pandora. It's the only thing that helps alleviate a super boring workout. (I prefer to run outside.)
  • emilycat214
    emilycat214 Posts: 84 Member
    Options

I love those scenery courses. Probably the only way I'll ever see them. Think that was a guy wandering through with a gopro on his head?

I was curious, so I looked it up. They use something called a steadicam, which is attached to a runner with a special vest. Apparently, it doesn't give the shaky effect that you can get with a GoPro. There's an explanation here, with a link to a video showing how they film.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    I watch TV on the elliptical; I usually don't have a ton of time to watch TV otherwise, so it kills two birds with one stone. Plus, action scenes or fight scenes can help me pick up the pace ^.^ But when I'm running outdoors I listen to audiobooks.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Elliptical--I alternate 1 min forward & 1 min backward. I do various short intervals, for ex 15-20 seconds all out each minute. I listen to music & think. No way could I read.