Doing it all right and can't lose weight!! HELP!!

Options
I've worked out with a trainer twice a week for 10 months. I supplemented the rest of the week at the gym, running if hiking. After a year I saw NO results even though I was working hard and eating well. THIS year, beginning Jan 1 I started bootcamp again, and am eating clean. I'm working out 10x harder than ever before!! I'm part of a 6 week weight loss challenge. 6 weeks is up, I step on the scale and weigh EXACTLY the same!!!!! Ughhh im so frustrated. I'm about Togo get my thyroid checked or something. My trainers are great and even guaranteed I would lose at least 1lb a week. Here I sit in the same place. Any advice? In the same boat?

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    "Eating well" and "eating clean" don't describe how many calories you are consuming. You need to consume fewer calories than your body uses in order to lose weight.

u8jste4vwwxh.jpg
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    The chart is perfect. No weight loss means wait longer or that it's not a deficit. Since the body is mostly water you can't look at just the short term body weight. If you've been consistent at a deficit there WILL BE FAT LOSS, or else your body would have the magic cure for starvation and governments all around the world would want to study your amazing magic body.
  • missmoo007
    missmoo007 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My BMI reading indicates 1500 for my resting heart rate. 2000 calories on the days I do my intense circuit training ing workouts (4 days a week) I'm burning 600 calories a class so I will end the day with a slight deficit. This app also keeps me on track for my macros. It's not working!!!
  • californiagirl2012
    Options
    If it's not working the governments around the world will want to study your magic body. ;) Maybe try ignoring the exercise burn - that one trips a lot of people up.
  • LushFix
    LushFix Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    - Are you weighing EVERYTHING you eat? Solids on a scale and liquids in a cup?
    - Are you using a heart rate monitor to know how many calories you're burning during all exercise?
  • californiagirl2012
    edited February 2016
    Options
    BTW I'm hypothyroid, I had it checked when I was obese, even a low thyroid and finally taking the medicine for it -- I still had to face the fact that the exercise burn doesn't allow me to eat more. Once I ditched that and faced the hard truth, the weight finally came off and I still had to wait 3 years to drop 85 pounds. It's not fun to face the truth that what you think is a deficit really isn't. Your body gives you more truth than any calculator. If the fat stays - no deficit is happening - end of story. No fun I know, but TRUTH right there.
  • missmoo007
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @californiagirl2012 I have been consistently ignoring the exercise burn with a daily deficit averaging 300-400 calories. I'm just frustrated. I'm 36 years old now maybe my metabolism came to Slow? I've always maintained 130lbs (I'm 5'3") now I'm 147 out of nowhere!
  • missmoo007
    Options
    I've also been an athlete my whole life. Gym, working out, eating right.... None of its new to me.
  • californiagirl2012
    Options
    The smaller/shorter you are the smaller your metabolism. It feels like something is wrong, but no, it's normal. The calculator is just an estimate. Just drop the calories a slight bit until it starts working. It's not fun to face the truth that what you think is a deficit really isn't. Your body gives you more truth than any calculator. If the fat stays - no deficit is happening - end of story. No fun I know, but TRUTH right there.
  • californiagirl2012
    Options
    Ah, you don't have far to go sweetheart. Just drop it slightly and wait wait wait, it only happens "fast" when people have significant body fat. You are so close. Just be patient, give a slight deficit 4-6 weeks, also you need to look at inches more than pounds.
  • missmoo007
    Options
    For a year I maintained 1200 calories a day. Saw a trainer twice a week, worked out regularly... No weight loss. I'm sorry but 1200 that's a huge deficit! So I changed it up I work out cross training really hard ( liked drenched in sweat high metabolic rate for an hour a day), no weight loss. My trainer says I'm not eating enough, so now I eat about 1500-1600 calories and still no results. I hear you and appreciate the input on calorie deficit I really get it. It's been a year and it's just not working I am at wits end
  • missmoo007
    Options
    I've been doing this weight loss challenge at my gym for 6 weeks. I expected results. After a dunk tank, BMI reading no change! My jeans still don't button the same ones I wore the last 3 years
  • seska422
    edited February 2016
    Options
    All I can think is that you need to tighten up your logging.

If you have lax logging, what you think is 1200 may be closer to 1500 or even 1800 calories.

You keep talking in detail about exercise and generalities about calories. It should be the other way around for weight loss.
  • missmoo007
    Options
    @seska422 I have logged every single thing that has gone in my mouth for the last 6 weeks
  • seska422
    Options
    If you open your diary, we can look.
  • missmoo007
    Options
    I've managed a 50-30-20 ratio in macros I know I could drink more water that's the only think I don't log in is water intake.
  • seska422
    edited February 2016
    Options
    If you've only been logging for 6 weeks, you can't know that you were at 1200 for a year.

The macro ratio is to make sure you get enough protein and fat. You can adjust it for satiation if you are hungry but it doesn't have a direct impact on weight loss.

Overall calories in vs. calories out are what matter. Your numbers for one or both of those could be off.

If you don't want to make your food diary visible, that's fine. However, read through the chart above and it will help you pinpoint what needs to be addressed.

You aren't immune to the laws of thermodynamics. You just need to experiment and find out where you are having difficulties and make adjustments.
  • skiextrm
    skiextrm Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Thanks californiagirl2012! I really needed to hear your advice today! My mantra this week = Fat stays, no deficit. TRUTH! (Going on the fridge!) Whether I like the numbers I can eat or not!
  • munekahenderson
    munekahenderson Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I was in the exact same boat as you. Worked out everyday for almost a year and lost NOTHING! I actually gained weight! It truly comes down to how many calories you eat good or bad. I started this app and only exercise once maybe twice a week and I lose about a pound a week. I'm down almost 20 pounds. I eat what I want but when the app says stop I stop. I still exercise to keep my heart healthy and to tone and feel good but the weight loss is truly in the calories count.
  • jeansuza
    jeansuza Posts: 148 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I am no expert but apparently, when you intensively exercise, your body retains water to repair micro muscle damages. Why don't you take a little brake, just doing soft walking, for a week or two, still logging and controlling your calories of course, limiting sodium intake, and see if it makes a difference! Yoga might be a good idea too. Forget about performance and relax.

Furthermore, you say you've been an athlete all your life. When have you seen a skinny undernourished athlete? In my book, athletes are healthy individual with heavy muscles and very little fat. They are not skinny. Maybe you should get a professional to evaluate you in this regard... You might get a happy surprise! Good luck.