Hormonal birth control and weight loss?

Options
Ladies,
Do any of you feel like using hormonal birth control methods make it nearly impossible to lose weight, specifically body fat?

I've been taking Lo Loestrin Fe (the low estrogen pill) for about a year now. While it isn't necessarily made me gain weight, I feel like I tend to store more body fat, especially in my stomach, hips, and thighs. I also feel like it's nearly impossible to lose any body fat. I might see the scale go down a pound or two, but the stubborn body fat just won't go anywhere!

Before beginning birth control, I could lose weight easily by restricting calories and exercising. Now, even with doing both of those things, I am just stuck! Anyone have a similar experience with birth control and found ANYTHING that helps or a better option I could ask my OB/GYN about?

Thanks!

Replies

• SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I've been on several different birth control pills and have lost almost 70lbs. The pill doesn't make you gain weight or retain weight. It can make you hungrier, which can make it more challenging from a satiety point of view, but it won't prevent weight loss.

Try to find eating habits that will help you feel fuller for longer. Fat, fiber, and protein are especially important for most people. Play with your macros until you find the right balance for you.

I promise, if you stick to a reasonable calorie deficit with accurate logging, you will lose at a reasonable rate. The "reasonable" variables in that statement depend on how much weight you have to lose.

• Kenini
    Kenini Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was on the pill for about 12 years before very recently switching to a hormone-free copper IUD. Before going on the pill I had lost 30 pounds by simply counting calories and getting in a little 30 minute workout 4 days a week. During my time on the pill I had lost a few pounds and gained a few pounds, but overall stayed the same weight. Though in the last couple years I have really been trying to lose weight. I worked out more and was stricter with my calories, but the scale just did not seem to budge. It could have something to do with getting older (I'm 30 now) or perhaps it was the birth control. Since I've been on the pill so long non-stop, I'm very curious to see how the hormone-free IUD will affect my weight (if at all), my mood, and any other aspects of my life.
  • kalynbreann357
    kalynbreann357 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I was only on the pill for two months and gained about 5-10 pounds which made me stop taking it, I was 15 so my only use for it was to reduce cramping and I didn't feel it was worth the gain.

Now I'm using the nexplanon/implanon and its great. I've had it for a year and started really focusing on weight loss in December and have lost about 13 lbs since. Its more effective than the pill, one of the most effective forms of contraception and last for 3 years. The only downside is my period was really wacky for a bit but its getting back on track now.
  • meggy_182
    meggy_182 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I've been on the implant for 6 years. The first 3 I didn't gain any weight and I was fine. Second time round I gained about a stone! My gp said it's normal to gain weight on hormonal contraceptives I've only really been trying to lose properly for around 5 weeks, lost the first 7lbs easy but now nothing :(
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Ladies,
    Do any of you feel like using hormonal birth control methods make it nearly impossible to lose weight, specifically body fat?

I've been taking Lo Loestrin Fe (the low estrogen pill) for about a year now. While it isn't necessarily made me gain weight, I feel like I tend to store more body fat, especially in my stomach, hips, and thighs. I also feel like it's nearly impossible to lose any body fat. I might see the scale go down a pound or two, but the stubborn body fat just won't go anywhere!

Before beginning birth control, I could lose weight easily by restricting calories and exercising. Now, even with doing both of those things, I am just stuck! Anyone have a similar experience with birth control and found ANYTHING that helps or a better option I could ask my OB/GYN about?

Thanks!

How old are you?
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Not to sound alarmist but i think the bigger worry is that in some people it can cause cancer. In my family it has directly caused breast tumours in my sister, uterine tumours in myself ( thankfully benign right now) and malignant ovarian tumours in my mother ( which was unfortunately fatal). This is just for some people who already have high levels of natural oestrogen. Needless to say im no longer on the pill and i avoid all phyto-oestrogens e.g soya.

Speaking of weight loss - i found the pill increased my hunger and that was the first time i ever gained weight. I lost it when i stopped it by cutting calories.
  • KrisiAnnH
    KrisiAnnH Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    The only thing that will make you gain weight is eating more calories than you burn (aside from water weight fluctuations obviously).

I've gained and lost weight while on the pill, and recently lost 45lbs while on it. The only way it may affect weightloss is that it can increase cravings or hunger (As Sing said above). It's all down to you and your self control. The pill itself wont make you gain weight or stop you from losing, just the calories you eat. :)
  • ellieliam9796
    ellieliam9796 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Ladies,

Thanks!
    I have been on birth control for 5 years and I gain quite a lot of fat. Recently though I have put myself on a calorie controlled diet only eating 1200 a day and drinking 2 litre of water a day. In just over a month I have lost 8lbs. It might make it a bit harder but you can still do it! :)
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I have been on birth control for about 8 years now. I have lost close to 40 lbs in the past 6 or so months. This time seems much easier to me, more so than when I was in college and was not on birth control.
  • JasmineEN_
    JasmineEN_ Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've been on birth control (Alesse-generic brand) for about 5/6 years now. When I first started taking it I did notice an increase in weight, which is normal. But it's still possible to lose weight! Continue exercising and keeping within Your caloric limits, but more importantly watch out for the fat and sodium content. Because that will not aid in the loss of fat.
  • KrisiAnnH
    KrisiAnnH Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    JasmineEN_ wrote: »
    I've been on birth control (Alesse-generic brand) for about 5/6 years now. When I first started taking it I did notice an increase in weight, which is normal. But it's still possible to lose weight! Continue exercising and keeping within Your caloric limits, but more importantly watch out for the fat and sodium content. Because that will not aid in the loss of fat.

While it's good to keep an eye on fat and sodium content from a health perspective- weight loss (ie. fat loss) is 100% down to CICO. You can (in theory- although it's not health obviously) eat as many high fat and high sodium foods as you like and still lose weight if you stick to your calorie goal :)
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    I've been on several different birth control pills and have lost almost 70lbs. The pill doesn't make you gain weight or retain weight. It can make you hungrier, which can make it more challenging from a satiety point of view, but it won't prevent weight loss.

Try to find eating habits that will help you feel fuller for longer. Fat, fiber, and protein are especially important for most people. Play with your macros until you find the right balance for you.

I promise, if you stick to a reasonable calorie deficit with accurate logging, you will lose at a reasonable rate. The "reasonable" variables in that statement depend on how much weight you have to lose.

I've recently come OFF the pill (cerezette) and I used to think it made me retain weight, but I can now tell for 100% it made me hungrier and stopped the "I'm full ill stop" instinct, causing me to eat more. I fully agree with all above and good luck!
  • Cilantrocat
    Cilantrocat Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    About 4 years ago I went on the shot and gained over 30 lbs in the first 3 months!!! My doctor was shocked and really worried so we switched to the pill but I want to get off it because I do feel like it was easier to lose before being on it. I've also now been on it for 4 years and never lost that 30lbs I initially gained. I also feel like it makes me a little crazier at different stages of the month and also bloated by the 2nd to 3rd week. I think it depends on the individual and different bc methods.
  • Leoess
    Leoess Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm currently trying to lose 15ish pounds while on birth control (Junel-Fe 1/20). Upon starting the pill, I acquired what felt like the appetite of a 14-year-old athlete, and the only relatively harmless things I could do to quell the hunger were drink copious amounts of coffee and tea (really any hot beverage) and eat bland carby stuff (pretzels, plain bread, etc.) between meals. I was able to keep up with it for awhile, but I wasn't able to wait out the adjustment period and eventually fell into a reckless eating pattern. By the time my body started feeling normal again, I'd gained these 15 pounds.

However, NOW that I'm feeling normal again, I'm retraining my body to crave less/healthier food again and am using MFP regularly--even if I don't always formally complete my entries--just like people who aren't on the pill, and I'm doing just fine. I'm down a few pounds already despite my goal to lose 0.5lb a week. (I'm a smaller person.) Everyone's different, but I suggest you start by just paying attention to your body and trying to maintain control while it does its thing.
  • benzieboxx
    benzieboxx Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I'm on the same BC that you're on and I have no problems losing weight. Like others have stated, the pill just makes you feel hungrier. It's not holding on to any fat or calories. What helped me was adjusting my meals so that I'm eating through out the day. Once I got into a good routine like that I didn't feel as hungry all of the time.
  • cosmo_momo
    cosmo_momo Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I have a Mirena now (LOVE IT!!) and it has not affected my ability to gain or lose weight. Also been on Depo (also liked it, just wanted something more permanent) and had a similar experience.
  • valente347
    valente347 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Using birth control pills made me feel sick in the morning and hungry the rest of the time, so I'm pretty sure it wasn't a benefit to my weight loss goals, even if it didn't magically retain fat that I burned fair and square.

When I switched to a copper IUD, I had a much easier time losing weight because I had a normal appetite. Now I have a hormonal IUD and haven't noticed any changes in my appetite. I've been able to lose nearly 80 lbs since I switched.

Talk to your doctor if you don't like the one you're using. There are a lot of choices, so your doctor shouldn't roll their eyes at you. Just make sure if you're changing your contraceptive, you are covered for the time it takes to complete the switch.