Macros Ratio

What is the best macros ratio for a women - 188 lbs - goal 145 lbs - and I carry my weight in my stomach. Also with the nutrients adjust automatically? Or what is also recommended for sugar and sodium etc?

Replies

• DizzyMissIzzy
    DizzyMissIzzy Posts: 168 Member
    How active are you? That changes your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) which dictates how many total calories you should be eating.
  • kimaboyd
    kimaboyd Posts: 23 Member
    I plan to workout (swim, walk, row) 4-5 times a week for 40 mins
  • kimaboyd
    I am ok with the calorie number - just curious about the macro ratio
  • DizzyMissIzzy
    The nutrients tend to adjust automatically on here I think. Are you wanting macro percentages? Or personalized macro goals in grams?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    kimaboyd wrote: »
    What is the best macros ratio for a women - 188 lbs - goal 145 lbs - and I carry my weight in my stomach. Also with the nutrients adjust automatically? Or what is also recommended for sugar and sodium etc?

There's not a standard answer.

I generally suggest ensuring that you're getting a sufficient minimum amount of protein (0.6-0.8 grams per day per pound of weight) and fat (0.3-0.4 grams per pound per day) - and beyond that, fill in with what ever fits your tastes, needs, and lifestyle.
  • DizzyMissIzzy
    edited February 2016
    Maybe something like 40% carb 25% fat 35% protein, that's close to what I've been doing and it's been helping me lose a consistent 1.5-2lbs a week.
  • kimaboyd
    The nutrients tend to adjust automatically on here I think. Are you wanting macro percentages? Or personalized macro goals in grams?

Just the percentages

• DizzyMissIzzy

I generally suggest ensuring that you're getting a sufficient minimum amount of protein (0.6-0.8 grams per day per pound of weight) and fat (0.3-0.4 grams per pound per day) - and beyond that, fill in with what ever fits your tastes, needs, and lifestyle.

This is very true.

For you, your macros in grams might want to look like 180g protein, 65g fat, and 285g carbs :)
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Meet recommended minimums.

Everything else is down to personal preference, training goals and maximizing chances of adherence to you calorie goals.
  • juggernaut1974

This is very true.

For you, your macros in grams might want to look like 180g protein, 65g fat, and 285g carbs :)

That adds up to almost 2500 calories, which is probably too many for OP to lose weight consistently.

I don't know what your calorie allowance is OP, but a more reasonable breakdown would be something like 130g protein, 65g fat, and 130g carbs, which adds up to about 1625 calories.
  • juggernaut1974
    And as far as sugar and sodium, there's no reason to micromanage those goals unless you have a medical reason (ie - diabetes or hypertension) to do so.

I've found that just by sticking to a diet centered around good, nutrient-dense foods (while still allowing for treats when they fit in) and to your calorie and macro goals, that those tend to just work themselves into a reasonable amount automatically.
  • DizzyMissIzzy

This is very true.

That adds up to almost 2500 calories, which is probably too many for OP to lose weight consistently.

I don't know what your calorie allowance is OP, but a more reasonable breakdown would be something like 130g protein, 65g fat, and 130g carbs, which adds up to about 1625 calories.

Quite possibly. If you don't mind me asking, I've been doing a lot of research into coming up with macro counts, etc. How did you get the numbers that you did? I am trying to learn the best I can--so you used .7g per lb for the protein goal, .35 (as I did) for the fat, and then you calculated the carbs, but how did you decide on the calorie count number?
  • juggernaut1974
    Carbs and protein contain roughly 4 calories per gram and fats contain roughly 9 calories per gram

(and, for those who want to work it in to their calculations, alcohol contains about 7 calories per gram)
  • DizzyMissIzzy
    edited February 2016
    Carbs and protein contain roughly 4 calories per gram and fats contain roughly 9 calories per gram

(and, for those who want to work it in to their calculations, alcohol contains about 7 calories per gram)
    Well, yes, so you did 130(4)+65(9) and then subtracted the value from the TDEE to divide by 4 to get carbs, I mean how did you get the TDEE number?

I read that it was usually the person's weight multiplied by 11-14 depending on the person's activity level. Is there a better way?
  • DizzyMissIzzy
    Maybe something like 40% carb 25% fat 35% protein, that's close to what I've been doing and it's been helping me lose a consistent 1.5-2lbs a week.

@kimaboyd here are just percentages.
  • juggernaut1974

Well, yes, so you did 130(4)+65(9) and then subtracted the value from the TDEE to divide by 4 to get carbs, I mean how did you get the TDEE number?

I read that it was usually the person's weight multiplied by 11-14 depending on the person's activity level. Is there a better way?

Oh...I just guessed for that. I figured somewhere around 1600 would be reasonable to lose about 1 lb per week based upon her starting weight. I could easily be off a few calories one way or the other.
  • DizzyMissIzzy

Oh...I just guessed for that. I figured somewhere around 1600 would be reasonable to lose about 1 lb per week based upon her starting weight. I could easily be off a few calories one way or the other.

Very interesting!

I eat around 1750 base calories (can be around 1900 when eating back exercise calories) as a 138lb 25 year old female who lifts heavy with intensity and supplements with cardio 5-6 days a week.

I lose about 1.5-2lbs a week.

I'm wondering how the total calorie amount changes for people who are heavier or people who want to lose 1lb a week or 2lb a week... what do you usually go off of to make that guess?