How to recover from a sugar binge

Options
So today I got some bad news and ended up binging as a result. I bought a 500g box of rowntrees pick & mix (fruit gums, fruit pastilles, tooty frooties) and have consumed half the box possibly more. I don't even want to think of the sugar content and calories as I feel so guilty and ashamed, I'm normally a generally healthy eater! It's too late to exercise now as it is nearly 9pm so that will have to wait until tomorrow but is there any advice I can get on what to do exercise wise tomorrow and also diet? Normally I would just move on but I really am disappointed In myself!

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Do as you normally do, move on!
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you had some bad news. Try not to dwell on what you ate, though - it happened, you can't go back and undo it, and if you focus too much on your disappointment at yourself you might end up eating the rest.

Like the poster above said, put it behind you and move on. Guilt and shame won't get you anywhere positive.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Happens to everyone sooner or later. No guilt, reboot tomorrow. Good night.
  • nicolejo143
    nicolejo143 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Its ok. Just think of ways to prevent it in the future if this happens often.
  • stmokomoko
    stmokomoko Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Water.

Also, if you can, estimate how much over your calories you went. Then see how many more mins of exercise/less calories you should eat during the week to compensate.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Don't feel guilty and ashamed, that often just makes you feel even more miserable, and then you want something sweet to take away that pain, and then you get angry with yourself and restrict intake, and then you get hungry and lose impulse control... you get my drift. You've had a rough day. Now take care of yourself and get a good night's sleep. Brush your teeth before you go to bed. Continue eating well and exercising as normal tomorrow.
  • deladypilot
    deladypilot Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear you had a bad day. It happens to all of us. Just take it for what it is and start fresh tomorrow. Do not get down on yourself. One day does not kill anyones healthy eating routine, it is just one day.

I agree with Amy - do not try to over do it with exercise and restrict your eating to much. If you want to add an extra 15 minutes here or there thats ok. Just shake it off and go on
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    We all have these days. Really- we do. I never try to "make up" for it. At my calories I'll get too hungry. I do log it as I want to know how many calories. You'll drink more water too. It takes me 2-3 days to get back to my pre-binge weight. No biggie- if a not frequent event.
  • jass553
    jass553 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Don't worry move on. I did the same today had 2 donuts
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Do not wallow in disappointment. Addressing your emotional burden was and will remain something that you need to do. Just don't do it with candy tomorrow. Get your sugar from fruits and veg, and pound your emotional burden into submission in the gym.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,157 Member
    Options
    You messed up. Guess what, we all do at one time or another. You didn't get fat in one day, and one day will not undo all the work you have done up to this point. So,

1) Start back at it tomorrow.
    2) Consider why your first response to this bad news was to eat, and how you could switch it to something else. Often exercise will help as much or more to deal with things like this than food, but you, like me and many others, have wired yourself to respond with food. There are likely reasons for this, but taking the time to look not just the immediate cause (the bad news) but the more difficult to nail down cause (what you feel food will provide for you to deal with the feelings from the bad news) of why you eat in response to bad news.

Don't beat yourself up. It doesn't help. I can help to log even things like this, so you know how far you have gone over, depending on your deficit, you many not even have gone over your maintenance.
  • VickyMHann
    VickyMHann Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I do this often. Sadly, I beat myself up for most of the day as well because of it.

But, I'm starting to understand that I'm always going to sugar binge. So now, I try to minimize it. Love myself anyway and start over tomorrow.

Being perfect is unrealistic.
  • Mersie1
    Mersie1 Posts: 329 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Hugs and high fives! You're doing the right thing by venting here. As many have said. Tomorrow is a new day- DO NOT Compensate. Speak to yourself as you would a good friend. This will be a blip!
  • Justn7883
    Justn7883 Posts: 4,764 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up!! Tomorrow is a new day :) Sorry to hear you had some bad news. Hope everything is okay.
  • naomiiixo
    naomiiixo Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you everybody! Today is a new day so will treat it like yesterday didn't happen, and a close family member is extremely ill but with my family we will get through it! The first step has been binning any sweets left over :) out of sight and now out of mind!
  • jass553
    jass553 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Prayers for your family member and,you can do it girl:)