Too large of a calorie deficit?

Options
If my BMR is 1700cal and I eat around 1300cal a day and exercise 1000cal worth is this too large of a deficit? If so what should I up my calorie intake to?

Replies

• lesliefm
    lesliefm Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Eat back at least half of your exercise calories, and you should be fine.
  • Bellyroll
    Bellyroll Posts: 316
    Options
    Eat some of it back
  • jonikeffer
    jonikeffer Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    You don't want to NET less than 1200. If you're eating 1300 and exercising 1000, that means you're netting 300 which is way too low. You should be eating most of those exercise cals back, if not all. Keep an eye on your calories ticker on your home page, that tells you exactly what you're netting. I enter my exercise plan early in the day so that ticker will keep my eye on what I need to net for the day, without having to try to eat it all after I actually exercise at 1pm....it helps me plan to spread it out.
  • sh0ck
    sh0ck Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    So basically you only eat a net of 300 calories a day?!

You should probably be eating a bit more. There is a common number that goes around that should be the MINIMUM net calories that you should be eating each day and that is 1200. I am not exactly sure how tru that is but you might want to start trying to get around that much.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    If you are eating 1300 calories a day and exercising off 1000 of them that leaves you at 300 calories for the day...

If someone told you that they were dieting by eating only 300 calories a day, what would you tell them?

you need to be eating those calories back... or do less cardio so you don't have to eat that much back.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Yes. If you're working off 1000 calories and not eating it back, your net for the day is 300. Also, 1000 calories is a big burn. Are you using a HRM? You could be overestimating your calorie burn so I suggest getting one so you KNOW you're burning that... 'cause if you start eating a majority of those back and you're not really burning them off, you could end up maintaining or gaining.
  • jgggmg1992
    Options
    Thanks for all the help everyone! I'm pretty sure that my exercise calories are 1000, nearly all of the exercise that i do is on a machine (eliptical/treadmill/stationary bike which count what you burn, I don't know how accurately though). I appreciate the posts.