Egg fried rice in a rice cooker

Options
Just did this for the first time in a rice cooker, use low sodium soy sauce, had a quick taste it taste really good and it's not full of calories and salt use 1 cup rice to 2 cups water veg tsp of oil egg and prawns just letting it sit in the rice cooker for a bit as I added cooked prawns when it switched over to warm.

Replies

• MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    sounds yummy!!!
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    what cooker did you get? I was just pondering this very thing. I'd like to eat rice but i don't care for the stove top hassle and taste really.

and can you add stuff to it for a full meal...like your egg..how did you add that? raw? rice noob here.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Sounds very good! Did you stir in the raw egg when you added all the ingredients?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I've long been curious and now seems like a good time to ask - what's the advantage of using a rice cooker? Stovetop rice comes out perfect for me every time. I use a fairly heavy stainless steel pot and lid.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Sounds very good! Did you stir in the raw egg when you added all the ingredients?

My question too. It sounds yummy. I love my rice cooker I have had one for 15 years. It was pricy but it still works like new
  • rosey35
    rosey35 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I bought a cheap £9 cooker from asda which is own by Walmart,

1spring onion, 1/2 pepper, 2tsp soy sauce,onion, tsp oil, 1/2 carrot chop, frozen sweet corn had no peas, 2raw eggs stir, 1 cup white rice washed till become clear. Raw prawns

Method
    Plug in rice cooker it will start to get hot

Add oil, then onions, carrots, peppers, prawns,sweet corn or whatever veg you want, you could add small chicken strips raw as long as the meat is chopped small it should be fine.

Add rice, then soy sauce then water then egg, stir make sure everything is under the water line.

season with salt pepper or whatever you want to use, you could just use a low sodium stock cube. I use 2 cups water instead of the 1&3/4 water the book said to use for rice as it wasn't plain rice as everything I read on tinternet say to use 1:2 ratio

Press down on the bar to cook when it finsh it will go to the warm function. I leave it for 10 minutes on this.

The aroma when cooking is wonderful.

Note I use the cup that came with the rice cooker to measure rice out this weight 125 grams. Then using measuring cup to measure out water.fyi the rice cooker cup goes to 3/4 of a cup.

Going to tried rice and beans and a carrot cake next.

It seems like a lot of rice for one person but I like to have most of my calories for dinner.
  • rosey35
    Options
    Forgotten to mention the spring onions.
  • stevephi01
    stevephi01 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Did you get the George Home Rice Cooker? They now out of stock of them, at least on-line! :(
    Can you make less than 125g?
    Let us know how you get on with your other recipes.
  • Pinkylee77
    Options
    Thank you for sharing. I have a Japanese one their cup is smaller that you measure rice in.
  • rosey35
    Options
    Yea@stephi01 it was the George one, I would try to get it in store if you can it's normally £16. You can do half a cup if you want, a normal rice portion is 70-75 grams cook in 300 ml of water. Friday night is my treat night so I had a big portion. The rice bag normally tells you how much rice to use and water. YouTube has some great videoes and allreciepes.com has some great ideas, just look in the comments section people will tell you if there is anything wrong with the recipes and how they fix it.
  • rosey35
    Options
    Next time I'll cook extra for the next day.
  • Pinkylee77
    Options
    I have in the past added a little lite coconut milk, Thai red curry, and shrimp to my rice. My family loved the spicy taste but the coconut milk smoothed it out and the liquid was mostly water.
  • rosey35
    Options
    Did you exchange the coconut liquid as one of the liquids when making the rice for example instead of maybe 3 cups water use 2 instead and count the coconut liquid as one cup for the rice ratio.
  • Pinkylee77
    Options
    rosey35 wrote: »
    Did you exchange the coconut liquid as one of the liquids when making the rice for example instead of maybe 3 cups water use 2 instead and count the coconut liquid as one cup for the rice ratio.

Yes I found that if I only used the coconut milk the rice did not cook right so I just substituted about a cup. It make me hungry for it just talking about it
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I've long been curious and now seems like a good time to ask - what's the advantage of using a rice cooker? Stovetop rice comes out perfect for me every time. I use a fairly heavy stainless steel pot and lid.

Me, too, except I use a Corningware (oven-safe ceramic-glass) pot and lid. Comes out perfect every time, and the pot is a lot easier to clean than the rice cookers past roommates used. Also, if you don't mind wasting water and possibly taking a little extra time, you can cook rice like pasta, and drain it at the end. I prefer the more traditional way with the minimum amount of water, but if you're one of those people who rinses their rice to get the starch off before you cook it, the pasta-method might be appealing.
  • Pinkylee77
    Options
    For me I love my rice cooker because: It does not take up a burner, I can set it for a variety of types of rices and it is always perfect. I don't ever have to watch it, it beeps when it is done I fluff it and then it automatically goes to warm and I can serve from it. The kind I use was popular in Japan and they know their stuff.
  • 42firm03
    42firm03 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    This is a fascinating recipe. Thanks for sharing!

What I like about a rice cooker is that you don't have to watch it or be there to turn it off. So set rice to cook, walk dogs and come home to the finished rice sitting on the warm setting. Makes the dinner rush after work much easier.
  • rosey35
    Options
    @Pinkylee77 that recipe sounds good did you had anything else apart from the coconut milk shrimps and curry sauce
  • Pinkylee77
    Options
    generally no but topped with cilantro would be tasty.
  • Notreadytoquit
    Notreadytoquit Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Such a great idea. I do not have a good outcome for cooking rice on the stove. So i got 2 Aroma rice cookers with stainless steel pans. No teflon type finishes in this household. They always chip.

Everyday i make 12 cups rice / oats/ millet for our free range chickens. This is a winter chore and as i prepare the hot gruel I've been watching as these pans cook the differt cereals and grains.

I think the cooker would be great for stirfries. If you're counitng calories you can skip the oil of frying and add a bit of fragile oils perhaps sesame or flax seed at the end. Delicate vegetables like snowpeas can go in with a bit more liquid when the rice cooker cycles to warm.

I also use a rice cooker on the warm setting to make infused herbal oils both culinary and medicinal.

Very clever friends. Thank you for the recipes and tips.