Macros vs Nutrients.....I'm confused

Options
MFP nutrients show I need 28 protein grams to meet my target of 60. However my macros show I'm already way over the recommendation for protein. Probably a simple explanation but I can't figure it out. Anyone able to explain? Thanks for your help.

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I think I don't understand the question.

Protein is a macro. It isn't listed as a nutrient. Macros have calories and nutrients don't.
  • bettebuc
    bettebuc Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reply, seska. However, when you check your MFP nutrients, protein is listed along with a goal to try and meet. It's not that big a deal but I just found it confusing.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,243 Member
    Options
    A screen capture might help because I am confused as well.
  • seska422
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Well, I looked it up and evidently everything is a nutrient, macro or not. Nutrients are anything that nourish a living being.

That doesn't clear up why it looks like you are over on protein in one area an under in another area.

Can you post screenshots?
  • bettebuc
    Options
    ke632k593aj4.png
    ss49dogujgam.png
  • seska422
    edited February 2016
    Options
    The pie chart shows that 36% of the calories that you've eaten so far today were from protein. The pie chart just compares the calorie ratios of what you've eaten so far.

You've only eaten 437 calories so far. That's just 36.4% of the calories that you need to eat to get to the 1200 calories you need.

Your protein goal for the whole day (which is in grams) shows that you eaten 32 of the 60 grams of protein toward your goal.
  • hopeandtheabsurd
    hopeandtheabsurd Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    The pie chart is showing the relative breakdown of macros, that is always going to add to up to 100%. Since you have not eaten much fat comparatively, protein is looking high as a percentage of the calories you've eaten.

You still have 763 calories left to eat, that would consist of approx 28g protein, 106g carbs, and 34g fat if you were going to hit your macro targets exactly.
  • bettebuc
    Options
    Well, thank you very much! That explains it. It's been a crazy day and I've been too busy to eat (never thought I'd say that