HELP LOOKING TO LOSE FAT ,BUT BUILD MUSSEL

Options
2»

Replies

• KarlDouglasDougie
    KarlDouglasDougie Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Yeah, 1320 is too low for a guy. I know the MFP default bottom for women in 1200. I thought it was 1500 for men. Maybe not though. Did you enter 2lb/week loss? What activity level did you enter? How much more do you want to lose? If that list of activities you made above is typical of your daily activity you should be on a higher activity setting, not on sedentary. Those things can make a big difference.

do you think this will suit me better Your
    Daily Goal 1,500 113 50 150 2,300 50
    Remaining 1,218 75 39 142 2,250 26

Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sodium Sugar
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Doing some quick math, looking at your roughly 2 stone loss in 2 months, if you did average 1800 calories for those two months, that means your maintenance calories is around 3550, which makes sense, since you said you workouts like crazy.

What are your stats (height, weight, age) and workout routine?

And based on the above, if you even want a chance to have some concurrent muscle gains while losing fat, the calories will be well over 2000 calories. If you have the workout routine above, you would be close to 3000 for weight loss.

ps - even if we do set up a well balanced plan between weight loss and exercise, it will be hard to tell if you have lose fat and gained or even maintained fat without you getting a hydrostatic (water immersion) or DEXA body fat analysis. But using the current science (moderate deficits & .8-1g of protein per lb of lean body mass), we can at least give you a chance.
  • KarlDouglasDougie
    Options
    height 5.8 ,weight 11stone .13,age 38,workouts 3-4 times a week light and heavey weights,pressups front and back.sit ups .most weeks I mix it up to keep the body guessing and not getting used to my activities.
    I find it quite easy to stick to 1500 cals a day.as I get in to my work and the hours fly by.
    im about to start whey protein too.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    height 5.8 ,weight 11stone .13,age 38,workouts 3-4 times a week light and heavey weights,pressups front and back.sit ups .most weeks I mix it up to keep the body guessing and not getting used to my activities.
    I find it quite easy to stick to 1500 cals a day.as I get in to my work and the hours fly by.
    im about to start whey protein too.

Continuously changing your routine is going to make it very difficult for you to make progress. Eating 1500 calories a day and being active, is going to make it very difficult for you to gain muscle. Pretty much, what you are doing now, is completely working against your goals. If you want to work on gaining muscle and subsequent fat loss, you need the complete opposite of what you are doing. A smaller calorie deficit and a proven progressive lifting routine.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Yeah, 1320 is too low for a guy. I know the MFP default bottom for women in 1200. I thought it was 1500 for men. Maybe not though. Did you enter 2lb/week loss? What activity level did you enter? How much more do you want to lose? If that list of activities you made above is typical of your daily activity you should be on a higher activity setting, not on sedentary. Those things can make a big difference.

You really should be eating more. With this steep of a cut, you will be losing more muscle than you would like. I can see you would prefer someone to simply say "do this." The trouble is that it is individual in that if you are more active throughout the day, as well as the workouts you are doing, you need more calories. If you are not using a food scale to weigh your solid foods, you are likely underestimating how much you are eating. So many different factors here.

Since you have been losing eating 1500 for the last two months, and at a rate that is really fast, I would suggest increasing further. If you would prefer to have a single set daily goal, without increasing it on the days you are working out, then I suggest looking at putting your information through the Scooby workshop site here:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

Using your information that you've supplied here, you should be able to eat around 2400 cals and still lose weight (more slowly than you have been, but still losing). You're only 167lbs, at 5'8" you don't have much left to lose. This low calorie intake that you're doing is going to cost in the long run. If you are hesitant to jump straight up to 2400, increase more slowly. Try 1700 this week, 1800 next, etc. The other thing with slowing your losses, is you can start developing the habits you want to have for maintaining that weight.
  • KarlDouglasDougie
    Options
    I weigh all my food so its spot on,i find it hard to eat a lot normally so this is not to hard for me.i normally have to make myself eat to meet my 1500 cal goals.my plan was to get down to around 10 stone with very low body fat ,then start a bulk at the end of the summer.you all say I canot get muscle like this ,but I seem to be pilling it on in the biceps,triceps arms ,shoulders and my stomuck is going down along with my weight.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your muscle gain? When I lift my muscles look pumped for a couple days. This happens from the extra water that is held in them for repair. Additionally, I have gotten much stronger, but this doesn't equate muscle growth either. Are you sure it's actual muscle that you are gaining? The body is very deceptive.
  • KarlDouglasDougie
    Options
    my arms look much bigger and feel solid not watery,ive got much stronger too.
    my matainence is only 2078 cal so I don't think 1500 cals is to low really.as ive said im looking to lose weight to lose fat and shread up ,then after all this is tight and looks good,ill the bulk to put on larger amounts of muscle.
    am I right in doing this ????
  • KarlDouglasDougie
    Options
    I DONE SOME RESEARCH AND CHANGED MY CALS TO 1800 ,MY BODY NEEDS 1670 TO LIVE WITHOUT DOING ANYTHING,HOW MANY EXTRA CALS DO I NEED AND HOW MANY CAN I BURN DAILY.
  • DizzyMissIzzy
    DizzyMissIzzy Posts: 168 Member
    Options

To put it into perspective, I'm a 5'3 female at 138lbs and I eat 1750 calories minimum (150g protein, 45g fat, and 175g carbs) plus some of my exercise calories and I still lose 1.5-2lbs a week.

I think you are not eating nearly enough.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    my arms look much bigger and feel solid not watery,ive got much stronger too.
    my matainence is only 2078 cal so I don't think 1500 cals is to low really.as ive said im looking to lose weight to lose fat and shread up ,then after all this is tight and looks good,ill the bulk to put on larger amounts of muscle.
    am I right in doing this ????

Looks =/= muscle gain. Fat loss can make a muscle look bigger.

Also, your maintenance is not 2078. If you look above, I did the math based on your actual loss.
  • KarlDouglasDougie
    Options
    YES FAT LOSE WILL SHOW MORE MUSCLE ,THATS THE POINT.IVE LOST A LOT OF SIZE TO AS MY JEANS SIZE HAS DROP FROM 34 TO 30-32.MY OVERALL BODY IS GOOD ,IM JUST WANTING TO LOSE BELLY FAT BEFORE IT BECOMES A PROBLEM ,WHICH IM DOING.IM NOT A BIG EATER ,IN FACT I HAVE TO FORCE MYSELF TO GET MY CALS IN DAILY.
    WHAT DO YOU THINK MY CALS SHOULD BE SET AT THEN.IM GOING TO START A PROTIEN POWDER TO THIS WEEK SOME TIME TO GET MORE PROTIEN.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    YOU HAVE NO CONTROL WHERE YOU LOSE FAT. EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Wetcoaster wrote: »
    YOU HAVE NO CONTROL WHERE YOU LOSE FAT. EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT.

WHY IS EVERYBODY YELLING???!?!?!?!?

b3e5se8hmdku.jpg
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    I DON'T KNOW
  • psuLemon
    Options
    YES FAT LOSE WILL SHOW MORE MUSCLE ,THATS THE POINT.IVE LOST A LOT OF SIZE TO AS MY JEANS SIZE HAS DROP FROM 34 TO 30-32.MY OVERALL BODY IS GOOD ,IM JUST WANTING TO LOSE BELLY FAT BEFORE IT BECOMES A PROBLEM ,WHICH IM DOING.IM NOT A BIG EATER ,IN FACT I HAVE TO FORCE MYSELF TO GET MY CALS IN DAILY.
    WHAT DO YOU THINK MY CALS SHOULD BE SET AT THEN.IM GOING TO START A PROTIEN POWDER TO THIS WEEK SOME TIME TO GET MORE PROTIEN.

If you are struggling to get calories, it means you are eating too many diet foods as calories =/= volume.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read#latest

Based on your weight loss so far, probably around the 2200-2500 calorie range.

As as indicated, caps locks = yelling on the internet.