An adult who doesn't eat her veggies......

Options
I have never been able to eat vegetables.....I wasn't made to eat them when I was growing up and, as an adult, I find myself literally unable to. I know that has contributed greatly to my weight problem and makes losing weight extremely hard. I have tried to force myself to eat just about every kind of vegetables imagineable but as soon as it hits my mouth, I start gagging (probably TMI....sorry). Any one of have any tips or advice for tackling this or any healthy recipes I could try??

Replies

• craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    What is it about veggies that you don't like? For me, it is when they are cooked until they are mushy. Maybe you could try experimenting with different ways of cooking and seasoning them? Or do veggies in general just gross you out no matter what?
    Some veggies I donlt like: lima beans, beets, eggplant, all of those are icky to me.
  • lovemyhoney
    Options
    I've tried cooking them, using them in casserole type dishes, and eating them raw......I don't really know what it is. It's insane. : (
  • katie_rn
    katie_rn Posts: 40
    Options
    try mixing them into recipies in a way you can't pick them out but don't overly notice their texture, like adding some spinach to a standard lasagna in the layers, or extra fresh mushrooms to a creamy pasta dish. i find my husband gets more veggies when i mix them into the main dish, as opposed to serving them as a side. a great book on veggies is "5 a day". good luck!
  • pittsblue99
    pittsblue99 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    V8 V-fusion. I do not care for them but my husband loves them! Have you tried steaming the veggies? I personally love steamed cauliflower.
  • ashley_jorah
    ashley_jorah Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I've also heard about people 'hiding' their veggies.
    Blend/food process them then add them to pasta, etc.
    I saw one program where the women said she'd blend up spinach, then freeze it into ice cube trays so she could just throw the cubes into stirfrys or whatever she was making.
  • RillSoji
    RillSoji Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with figuring out what it is about them you don't like. Texture? Flavor? Aftertaste? What?

Being able to eat veggies you don't like depends a lot on how you serve them. I HATE mushrooms. But I can eat them as long as they are disguised. For me, it's mostly a taste issue but also a little texture. So if they are well seasoned and served with other things, not just by themselves, then I can eat them and be fine.

When you find some veggies that you don't completely abhor then start googling recipes for them. Always go for recipes that include them with something else. Like asparagus, bell peppers mixed in with pasta and shrimp. Or spinach pureed inside a smoothie. Or pureed carrots inside enchiladas.

Or you can start adding veggies to your normal meals. Do you like chicken? Stuff the chicken with spinach, peas and cheese. Do you like chili? add more than just tomatoes to it! Do you like pasta? You'd be surprised what you can puree and add to all kinds of sauces.

Just keep and open mind and you can slowly work your way up to plain ol' veggies by themselves.
  • r3dkat
    r3dkat Posts: 1
    Options
    If you don't like veggies why not try a green drink. Green drinks are basically a variety of veggies in a powder form that you can mix into a smoothie or juice. Your average green drink contains 5-10 servings of veggies in a single scoop and is packed with vitamins and all sort of stuff that's good for you. If you can't drink your veggies they also come in pill form. Do your homework because there a lot of different brands

I'm not recommending this brand just a link so you can get an idea what it looks like. Amazon's a good place to start

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=227781&aid=338666&aparam=227781&scinit1=pla&scinit2={keyword}
  • hunsford
    hunsford Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    There are lots of articles about how to sneak veggies into kids' meals. Use the same tactics on yourself! :)
    For example: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes-and-cooking/tips-for-kid-friendly-vegetable-dishes/index.html
  • Claire739
    Claire739 Posts: 114
    Options
    i totally sympathise as i have exactly the same problem! id go so far as to say i actually have a phobia of them lol