What to do after overeating?

Options
When you overeat later in the day, what is the best thing you do to keep the scale from going up too much? Drink a ton of water before bed? Sweat/do cardio though it is late?
I tend to give in to my kids suggestions for a late night indulgences. When I do having a plan will help. I did great for the past few days but then Applebee's tonight. I am sure I will have some water weight due to the sodium. I did burn over 300 calories earlier.
Thanks for your tips.

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    If you eat more than you burn, you will gain weight. Drinking water will help minimize water retention due to sodium. Enough exercise will help burn it off. Mostly, you need to face reality, that when you eat more you will lose less or gain. :)
  • FGTisme
    FGTisme Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I try to look more at my weekly calories than I do day to day. Same rule applies with the scale.
    Eat a little lighter the day after an indulgence, or plan your week to accommodate it. Don't obsess over it unless your weight loss has stalled. Mainly just log it and move on.

The only thing extra water at night would do for me is wake me up in the middle of the night to pee.
  • MTgal477
    MTgal477 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    FGTisme wrote: »
    The only thing extra water at night would do for me is wake me up in the middle of the night to pee.

Haha, I second that!
    If I've over indulged I just do a quick 15 or 20 minutes on my elliptical that night and burn 250-300 calories. You won't gain if you burn more calories than you've consumed.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Okay. So you will probably see a little gain from the increased amount of food in your body and water retention from the sodium. No big deal.

Easy thing to do is to look at the math:

2 lbs per week is a 7000 calorie deficit per week.
    1.5 lbs per week is a 5,250 calorie deficit per week.
    1 lb per week is a 3,500 calorie deficit per week.
    0.5 lb per week is a 1,750 calorie deficit per week.

So let's say you do nothing and stay within your calorie goal for the rest of the week. Since you didn't say how much you went over, I'll use 1000 calories over for the day for this example.

set to 2 lbs per week + over eat by 1000 calories 1 day = 1.71 lb per week loss
    set to 1.5 lbs per week + over eat by 1000 calories 1 day = 1.21 lb per week loss
    set to 1 lb per week + over eat by 1000 calories 1 day = 0.71 lb per week loss
    set to 0.5 lb per week + over eat by 1000 calories 1 day = 0.21 lb per week loss / possible maintain
  • heis4u2004
    heis4u2004 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Thanks
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    It's one day. Log it and move on.