Kettle bell workout?

Options
Anyone have a favorite kettle bell workout to recommend? Free on YouTube is preferable.

I've also never used a kettle bell before. Does it put a lot of stress on the wrists?

Last question - when I took some quick browses through some kettle bell workouts, it seemed like a lot of the movements can be done with a regular dumbbell. Thoughts? I already own some dumbbells, but I'd have to go buy a kettlebell, so wondering if it's worth it.

Thanks!!

Replies

• BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I'm doing Simple and Sinister now. As the name implies it's s basic routine. 100 one arm KB swings and 5 Turkish get ups.

Form is important. If you go flailing about with a kettlebell you can do more harm than good. Take your time and learn proper form.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I like the workouts on livefitrevolution.org. Free but you need to register.

I think a heavy kettlebell is worth it. It's a good blend of functional strength and cardio and is time efficient and doesn't require much equipment. Dumbbells are not the same and are not going to work well for most of the basic kettlebell moves like swings.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Could you find a trainer who specializes in kettlebell workouts? I.e. They have an actual certification and are not some generic trainer with no real experience (I see some trainers who have no business teaching people how to squat, deadlift, etc.). Learn proper form, and find a good source of kettlebell workouts.

Pavel Tsatsouline is very well regarded in the 'kettlebell community', so google him and find his programs appropriate for your level.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure BodyFit by Amy on YT has a kettlebell workout. I think Tone It Up on YT does as well.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Anyone have a favorite kettle bell workout to recommend? Free on YouTube is preferable.

I've also never used a kettle bell before. Does it put a lot of stress on the wrists?

Last question - when I took some quick browses through some kettle bell workouts, it seemed like a lot of the movements can be done with a regular dumbbell. Thoughts? I already own some dumbbells, but I'd have to go buy a kettlebell, so wondering if it's worth it.

Thanks!!

Kettlebells can be done with regular dumbbells....check this DVD out. This will give you a starting point.

https://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/10-Minute-Solution-Kettlebell-Ultimate-Fat-Burner-p/136.htm

Form is very important (lower back).
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I go to a kettlebell class once a week, the rest of the week I follow the kb workout videos by Bodyfit by Amy on Youtube.
  • ltworide
    ltworide Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Kettlebell use will definitely improve your wrist strength. check out Paval and RKC (Russian Kettlebell) and dragon door: http://www.dragondoor.com

As far as I know There are two styles of kettlebells: American sport and Russian kettlebell. Personally I prefer Russian KB style. You can google both for more info.

If you're serious about doing KB workouts I would recommend getting some group or private lessons from a certified KB instructor on proper technique.
  • svinson319
    svinson319 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I like tone it up on YouTube
  • DumplingRUs
    DumplingRUs Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the advice, everyone!
  • Riskay123
    Riskay123 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Just be careful to look after your lower back. If you are not doing it properly you can do some damage.
  • arielm2015
    arielm2015 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I love the tone it up kettle bell workouts on YouTube!
  • chrisnurse77
    chrisnurse77 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Love this site
    Great videos for technique as well
    http://www.gbpersonaltraining.com/
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Kettle Bell Workouts by Chi Chi Health & Fitness
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I have been cycling these three workouts by Lauren Brooks for the past 6 weeks. I've gone up a kettlebell bell size in most of the movements and have gained some speed:-)
    https://breakingmuscle.com/learn/3-kettlebell-workouts-and-how-to-plan-your-week

I would recommend starting with her low volume option. The double bell work can be done with a single bell. I used a 18lb bell, a 26lb bell, and a 35lb bell. Later I purchased another 18 and another 26.

Kettlebell training will not wreck your wrists if you use good technique and don't go up in weight too fast. Search for RKC instructors in your area and learn the movements.

Buying kettlebells is worth it. The weight falls in a different place on a kettlebell than it does on Dumbells. Movements like the high pull, kettlebell snatch, and kettlebell clean are impossible to learn correctly with out a kettlebell. If you are brand new to fitness, I would start with a 12lb bell and an 18lb bell.