You never know who is watching you and taking encouragement from you.

Options
I invited a younger co-worker to go to the gym with me; a young man who is friend from work and who has some of the same poor eating habits that I had at his age. I see a younger version of myself in him.

It got me to thinking......................

I don't know if I would have been successful at working towards a healthier lifestyle when I was his age. I was so busy trying to make a living and raise a family; no thought of my own health.

I'm 52 now and I find that my body is not as strong or as flexible as it was in my 20's or 30's. However, now that I'm older, I'm confident enough to undertake the work that is needed to lose the weight and to exercise regularly, I'm mature enough to accept the set-backs that are inevitable and I'm wise enough to say "No" to that second piece of birthday cake (most of the time anyways).

At the end of the day, we’re all in this together. Keep striving and keep working at it. You never know who is watching you and taking encouragement from you.

Replies

• katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    This is true! I was very surprised when a woman at Jazzercise asked if I'd be back tomorrow and added, because you are my inspiration! I was stunned! This woman is much younger than me. I'm 65.
    You never know if someone is watching.
  • rdgfreshstart2016
    rdgfreshstart2016 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    So true... And motivating.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I've been quite surprised by who's been motivated by me...friends' spouses whom I've met once or twice decide to do a 5k or 10k walk event! Others who I've met in passing, people far more fit & healthy than I. I'm honored that my journey has helped a few people. Never hesitate to share with others.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    So very very true... I walk my neighborhood daily (since got my Fitbit 7/2013) and I get stopped in the oddest places (parking lots, grocery store, fast food places) by "neighbors" (all unknown to me) that have seen me walking and have noticed my weight loss.

Same thing with co workers (I work from home) who see me at mandatory meetings and commented on my loss, asked how I had done it & told me that I have inspired them to change their eating habits.

I'm at goal now so no more scale victories...but as much as I seem to inspire others, their comments are NSV for me...a win win situation.