Fried eggs cooked hard

Options
I love fried eggs with the yolk cooked all the way through. I never realized until I ate 3 for lunch today it would be 270 calories!!!! Why is it so much? Has anyone made a fried egg without the yolk?

Replies

• sblair77
    sblair77 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    My FAV!
  • KChristie976
    KChristie976 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Ahh I am going to have to do this next time. NO more Yolk for me! And its not even that I love the yolk but I do LOVE fried eggs!
  • ljw556
    ljw556 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with egg yolk - eggs are about 70 calories each, so that means the three egg added up to 210 calories and the oil was 60 calories. If you would like to cut the calories, try poaching the eggs until the yolks are hard - I think they taste even better and you will save 60 calories and lots of fat :)
  • KChristie976
    Options
    I didnt even really use any oil just sprayed some pam into the pan so they wouldnt stick.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I don't find 270 that high especially since eggs will really fill you up and keep you full. That is a nice sized meal.
  • Shawnsoucy
    Options
    why does the MFP food database show a boild egg having 0 chol but a scrambled egg has 215 chol?
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    why does the MFP food database show a boild egg having 0 chol but a scrambled egg has 215 chol?

Because foods are entered by users into the database, and sometimes people only enter the calories.
  • cdmchase
    cdmchase Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with egg yolk - eggs are about 70 calories each, so that means the three egg added up to 210 calories and the oil was 60 calories. If you would like to cut the calories, try poaching the eggs until the yolks are hard - I think they taste even better and you will save 60 calories and lots of fat :)

This is pretty much it. If you don't fry them in oil and just use some Pam's spray then they aren't that bad for you at all.
  • KChristie976
    Options
    I do fry them in Pam spray. How do I calculate that calories for that? Do food scales do this for you? When I type in Fried Egg in the MFP database it accounts for oil I guess.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Even better than the spray is water. Put water in the pan and the eggs will turn out fluffy with no burnt spots and you already know how many calories are in that!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    The no stick pan I use works fine without any spray so i just enter the hard boiled egg calories since I don't add any addiitonal ones.
  • sdgirl22
    sdgirl22 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    The calories in the yolk are worth it because that's where all the vitamins are :)
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    If you didn't fry them using oil, just put the eggs in, not "fried" eggs.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I do fry them in Pam spray. How do I calculate that calories for that? Do food scales do this for you? When I type in Fried Egg in the MFP database it accounts for oil I guess.
    I list the eggs not how i prepared them . Then I list how I prepared them, so if I fried them, I list the oil used, if I poached them I account for the bit of rice wine vinegar I added to the water. As mentioned a lot of things are added by users so you have to take that into consideration and question if something is extremely over or under what you think it would be.
  • Mike523
    Mike523 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Make sure you enter the right SIZE of eggs too... Large, Extra Large, Jumbo...

A LARGE egg is typically about 70 calories.
    An EXTRA LARGE egg is about 80 calories.
    A JUMBO egg is about 90 calories.

If you're not using butter or oil, then just enter the generic egg items in your diary, not the "fried" or "scrambled" or "boiled" entries. How you cook them makes no difference if you're not adding anything to them.
  • tckelly
    tckelly Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Try one whole egg and a few egg whites - fewer calories but still yummy.
  • KChristie976
    Options
    Thanks for all the info everyone it really has helped me!
  • up2me2lose20
    up2me2lose20 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I eat fried eggs a lot...I have a high quality non-stick pan that doesn't require that I use any oil or butter to fry the eggs...just a little pepper. Yummy!! I make eggs most days for my kids, the lecithin and choline are great for developing brain health! :) We also eat them hard-boiled and scrambled. When I make scrambled (for me -- for the kids I add milk) I just crack an egg in the pan and stir until the egg is firm. No milk, butter etc. Add my fav. veggies and away we go!