Morning workout

Options
I'm thinking of 6am workouts (maybe 8am on weekends). If I wake up an hour prior to workout what should I eat (if anything) pretty and then post? I am on a keto diet. I have read so many opinions and leaning towards, nothing prior, protein towards end/after and breakfast 30 min after.

I am looking to get lean and build muscle while losing body fat.

Replies

• JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Everyone is different but if your goal is to loose body fat and get lean, I'd suggest a fasted gym session. That way your body is burning fat stores for fuel rather than the calories you've just eaten. I always try to train this way in the AM, some mornings you just need the fuel and whenever I feel that way I'll generally have a fruit smoothie to get going. So basically I'm of the same opinion as you've came across before.

Protein filled breakfast afterwards, I usually eat as soon as I can after training as I don't drink protein shakes. Not sure if there is any science behind eating 30 minutes after.
  • Kalamatafl81
    Kalamatafl81 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different but if your goal is to loose body fat and get lean, I'd suggest a fasted gym session. That way your body is burning fat stores for fuel rather than the calories you've just eaten. I always try to train this way in the AM, some mornings you just need the fuel and whenever I feel that way I'll generally have a fruit smoothie to get going. So basically I'm of the same opinion as you've came across before.

Protein filled breakfast afterwards, I usually eat as soon as I can after training as I don't drink protein shakes. Not sure if there is any science behind eating 30 minutes after.

Thanks, I agree with this approach. I think the 30 min after was due to taking protein shake immediately and then breakfast. Great reply thanks
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I exercise on coffee and then a protein shake or protein breakfast afterwards.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Sustained fat loss is almost entirely due to a long-term calorie deficit - the timing of meals plays an insignificant role.
    Everyone is different but if your goal is to loose body fat and get lean, I'd suggest a fasted gym session. That way your body is burning fat stores for fuel rather than the calories you've just eaten.

When the body gets low on stored carbs (glycogen) it creates new carbs from protein, which it gets from muscle. While the amount of muscle lost probably isn't a lot, it's not a favorable state to train in, in my opinion. Many find their performance drops in a fasted state. Personally i'd have some carbs prior (fruit, etc), and a normal, balanced meal afterward. :+1:
  • AZnewbie00
    AZnewbie00 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I like to just get up and go. I don't like to exercise with anything inside my stomach.