Feeling Overwelmed

Options
My goal is to lose 60 lbs and get my body in shape. The problem is I feel so overwelmed and I don't where to start.

Replies

• shannie018
    shannie018 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Just set mini-goals for yourself at first. Take baby steps. Maybe say lose 5 pounds in your 1st month, walk 15 minutes a day. Just start logging your food (weighing and measuring properly). That is the most important first step.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I had a "hit bottom" moment that locked in my resolve to succeed. It's very hard to succeed without the psychological commitment to your goal. Assuming you are there (being on MFP is a good sign), then use every aspect of the MFP tool, stay on these threads for mutual support, make this goal a daily topic of your attention, weigh every day in a morning ritual but be mature enough to tolerate a saw-toothed weight loss graph. Get back on the wagon after every slip--there will be many of those. Slipping once here and there is ok, slipping for weeks at a time will destroy your progress. Getting back on the wagon is your new religion. You will fail unless you add and maintain exercise in your daily regimen. Burn calories so you can eat! Focus more on fitness than on weight and you will see results with less stress. Sweating every day is also part of your new religion. Go in Peace.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Five months ago, I was where you are. :) I started at 180 and am at 163 now, with 33 pounds left to go to my goal weight.
    Take it in baby steps.
    Start logging everything you eat for a week. Once you can look back at what you ate, it's easier to see where you can make small changes that will have a big impact. Start asking yourself what you eat that you can replace with healthier choices (grilled/broiled chicken instead of fried, olive oil instead of butter, etc), and then start making those small steps.
    One thing that worked for me, that might not work for everyone, was that I started close to my TDEE for caloric intake and then dropped 100 calories at a time until I was at my goal loss intake. (For me that was 1200 until I was out of the 'obese' category.

Also, walk. Just walk. Walk ten minutes, twenty minutes, and as you get stronger, walk 30 minutes, then 40. :) Then start walking faster.

I disagree with some of what mulecanter said:
    You won't fail if you don't exercise. Lots of people here have serious health problems that keep them from exercising and lose weight just fine. That said, exercise lets you eat more and see faster progress in the reshaping of your body.
    If you're the kind of person who gets hung up on little daily fluctuations, don't weigh every day. Your weight fluctuates based on a variety of things- water weight, muscle gain, periods, etc etc. It's really easy to get discouraged when you hop on the scale and see a pound that wasn't there yesterday. For me, it's best to weigh once a week, at the same time, (Sunday mornings, first thing in the morning), and then look at my overall downward trend in 'reports' to see my progress.