Polar FT4

Options
I have 10 sessions (well 9 now) at a gym and that includes access to the pool. Now what I am wondering is can you use a polar FT4 when you are swimming? To track your calories burned? I am a little apprehensious! Just wanted reassuring!

Replies

• sarahavery
    sarahavery Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Good question. I bought a polar ft4 just last friday and was wondering the same. the instructions say waterproof to 30m. now is this really true or a myth and it will die in the pool.

8049612.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • mckshowie
    mckshowie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    ive read that as long as you don't push the buttons while in the water - you're good to go.
  • Tracy184
    Tracy184 Posts: 74
    Options
    Supposedly it's fine in the water as long as you don't push any of the buttons. I'm not sure if you're just not supposed to push the buttons when it's in the water, or if you're not supposed to push the buttons when it's wet at all. I'd say dry it off with a towel before pushing any buttons, just to be safe. I know others have used it in the pool with no problems.
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Yes you can use it in the pool.
  • pchann
    pchann Posts: 84
    Options
    If the warranty covers water damage from being used in water is what I would look for in the literature that came with it.
  • MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I use a Garmin and have done a good deal of swimming with it. The only issue i have found is that he GPS sometimes drops signal when underwater. The HRM has always been fine, chlorine and salt water.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    For full information, you can go to the Polar website, go to Support, then Product Support then find FT4 in the product drop down list.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    You can use the Polar FT4 in the pool, you just can't use the watch underwater. They also recommend that you wash the strap after a dip in the pool.. so I'd make sure to do that too.
  • EmmaShorter
    EmmaShorter Posts: 298
    Options
    Thanks all!!
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    bump. gonna try today.. will post results
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    bump. gonna try today.. will post results

I DID IT. I swam.. figured 10cals per 2 lengths. one trip up and back... I'm horrible but improving steadily... burned 150cals or sowuhuu