My first half marathon

Options
neutroncore
neutroncore Posts: 36 Member
edited February 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm a beginner at running. I finished my first half marathon yesterday straight running without rest or walk-run mix.
Should I do training or running today? And how I should train to improve my form and speed and distance? Any recommended programs suitable for a begginer finished hslf marathon ?
I felt very happy yesterday for finishing my first half marathon. How you felt and your experience doing your first achievement?

Replies

• Wysewoman53
    Wysewoman53 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Don't know anything about what to do after running a half-marathon but CONGRATULATIONS on running your 1st marathon!
  • neutroncore
    Options
    Thanks!!
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Well done!
    I would rest today and maybe tomorrow, depending on how your legs feel, then ease back into it over the following week. I did my first half in October, and was stiff and sore for 3 days, so light walking and stretching was all I did, then swimming on about the fourth day. Was running again a week later.
    I'm doing my second in 3 weeks' time. Can't wait! You can find an intermediate/improver's half marathon training plan online (I like Hal Higdon) if you want to get faster. I also found that resistance training has helped me improve my 5K and 10K times quite significantly, so I would recommend that if you don't already.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I fully intend to take a week off after my first half in may!
  • neutroncore
    Options
    Thanks "yesimpson" I appreciate your advice. I'm gonna try to walk and try to mix it with a little jogging to see how my body react, I felt very tired and stiff yesterday, I did a lot stick muscle massage and hot bath...it helped.
    I haven't done any training yet so any advice in the right direction is appreciated.
  • neutroncore
    Options
    I wish you good luck " TavistockToad"
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Take some time off and ease your way back into running when your body feels good. There is no reason to rush back. You will not lose the gains you made quickly so take it easy.

Congrats on the finish. I highly recommend looking for another one to do later in the year. It keeps helps keep you motivated. :)
  • maureented
    maureented Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Congratualtions!! Take a rest day or two and listen to your body.
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    When I started doing longer distances I found that walking the next day helped me recover much faster.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    How are you feeling? I would rest today and if you feel fine tomorrow a light jog wouldn't hurt. Congratulations on your first half.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Way to go! I have my first road race, a 10k next month and my first half will be in june.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Take a day or two off, and then keep it relatively short and easy the rest of the week. Personally I enjoy the mental break from training in the week or two after a HM - it's a great time to try some cross training, or just experiment with different running routes without the pressure of needing to hit xx number of training miles. Light exercise will help with the recovery process, but keep it light and listen to your body. I also treat myself to a nice deep tissue massage a few days after the race.
    When your ready to start training again, there are lots of free plans online. Hal Higdon has a couple of intermediate level plans that are fairly popular.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your first half marathon!

When I'm recovering from a full marathon, I typically take 2-3 days off entirely, then get back in with 2-3 mile runs at a very slow pace. If you're feeling fine, you can probably do the same. If you're asking training questions intead of asking yourself, "Ugh why did I do this?!" then you'll be good to go in a couple days. The best way to improve is to just train again; the distances will be easier, you'll get faster without adding much extra work (if any).
  • hyg99
    hyg99 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    After my first and only half (September) I drifted a few weeks, lost my mojo, fortunately had a 10 miler booked (end Oct)_o had to keep at it. Still struggled till Christmas but in the NY my new goal is a full and mojo well and truly returned. Have another half booked for March then full September.
    I just had a day off post HM (was a long day at work) then back to it.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    congrats. I might do some yoga to help stretch yourself out if you are sore.
    foam rolling
    light short jog
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Definitely take a day or two off. I'm not really a runner, but my understanding is that off-season training is more about quantity over quality: developing your base mileage by running at a moderate pace (a pace at which you can carry on a normal conversation without being out of breath).
  • furmickc
    furmickc Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I would recommend a "reverse taper." Just like you (should have) dropped your milage down the week or two before the race, use the next week or two to build it back up. Here is a 4 week recovery plan, which seems a little long to me, but you know your body best! https://www.jennyhadfield.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/CoachJenny_4-Week-Half-Marathon-Recovery-Plan_RW.pdf
  • ironhajee
    ironhajee Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Well pat on the back for finishing! *pat* *pat*

Now to business, in terms of improving speed and distance I would say keep doing what you're doing.

-Incorporate some track workouts that focus on faster paced running such as 10 x 400m or 5 x 800m with generous rest periods.

-Incorporate some 1 mile repeats for speed run at your Race Pace

-Incorporate some hill running short, Medium, and long hills that will focus on building leg strength (treadmills can assist this workout)

-Incorporate Tempo Runs

-Incorporate Fartlek runs (speed play) this is a really fun workout. You basically run at your pace and throw in some faster speed and then ease back into your pace. It's all based on feel. When I get into good shape I love the Fartlek

But I have a feeling you already do these things so again pat on the back! Next stop .... Marathons!
  • neutroncore
    Options
    Thank you all, wonderful people of MFP, I got a lot of insight from your replies, I really appreciate your advices and time