Carbs and weight loss

Options
Do i need to be focusing on staying under 100g carbs a day for 50lb weight loss.

Ive been told 1200 cals is not enough but staying under carbs and eating more cals is not gonna be easy?

Im 5.3 and 34... with like i say a whopping 3 stone to loose.......; (

help much appriciated
X

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    No, you don't need to low carb unless you have a medical reason?

Set mfp to lose 1lb per week, do some regular exercise
  • bombamy2
    bombamy2 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you. Im doing HIIT 3 x a week and eating as clean as i possibly can. Always been scared to eat more then 1200... just mind set i suppose.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    bombamy2 wrote: »
    Thank you. Im doing HIIT 3 x a week and eating as clean as i possibly can. Always been scared to eat more then 1200... just mind set i suppose.

You don't even need to eat 'clean', life's too short to never eat doughnuts!

You wouldn't be needing to lose 3 stone if you really couldn't eat more than 1200 cals?
  • bombamy2
    Options
    Oh noooo i mean when i do mfp i feel the 1200 is top wack...obv 3 stone heavy i have put away my cals and with 2 babies but i do love your theory on doghnuts and made me chuckle.

Im the type that needs to follow something as apose to researching alone it baffles my mind. I believe everything people say about weight loss but somehow never found the right thing for me that works.

So you are saying up my cals with the excercise and in theroy i should lose weight. ...this excites me
  • rosey35
    rosey35 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    You don't need to lower carbs, I eat up to 250 grams a day, I have lost 35lbs eating this way, calories in versus calories out is the only way to lose weight. Can you substainte eating low carb for the rest of your life. Eat in such a way that when you reach goal weight you can continue what got did to get there.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Oh noooo i mean when i do mfp i feel the 1200 is top wack...obv 3 stone heavy i have put away my cals and with 2 babies but i do love your theory on doghnuts and made me chuckle.

Im the type that needs to follow something as apose to researching alone it baffles my mind. I believe everything people say about weight loss but somehow never found the right thing for me that works.

So you are saying up my cals with the excercise and in theroy i should lose weight. ...this excites me

Follow mfp! It does work. You don't need to go crazy with only 1200 cals.
  • bombamy2
    Options
    Good question, prob not no. Wow 250g carbs thats a dream to me right now. ...well done on your weight loss. .. im so nieve..
  • Kelceybyers
    Kelceybyers Posts: 56 Member
    Options

This really isn't a theory. It's just the simplest truth you will ever need to know. You can have your cake and eat it too. Last night I had a Great American Chocolate Chip Double Doozie.....sounds awful to a diet right???? Well I woke up this morning 1 pound lighter. Why? Because it fit into my daily calories. You can do this by eating right and enjoying a donut too!!! Put the theory mindset aside and try something new because you'll be in for the ride of your life if you do. :) Good luck to you!!!
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Yes, keeping carbs under 100 grams is best for most folks. Also, the lower carbs will lower your hunger, making 1200 cals easy.
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I had Wendy's for supper last night, and managed to fit it all into my calories for the day! I, too, woke up a pound lighter. Life's too short to restrict yourself from food you love! Everything in moderation!
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Nope. If carbs keep you full, eat more of them. If they don't (or you have a medical condition that is exacerbated by high-carb diets, like type 2 diabetes or PCOS), then eat less of them. All that matters for weight loss is that you're in a calorie deficit. Details like how many carbs you're consuming help make it easier to maintain a calorie deficit (like if you eat fewer carbs, because you personally feel fuller when more of your calories come from fat/protein).

Personally, I like carbs that contain a ton of dietary fiber (more nonstarchy vegetables, berries, and legumes. Bread and pasta never satisfy me), and I feel fullest when I combine high-fiber carbs with fat and protein. I think my carbs end up being around 35-50% of my total calories (more recently I eat about 240g of carbs and 60-70g of fiber while eating about 1900 calories).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Weight management is all about energy balance...a calorie being a unit of energy. All diet plans work on the same premise...energy deficiency to lose weight. When people low carb for example...all they are doing is restricting a macro-nutrient that by default will generally put people into an energy deficiency because you're simply eliminating a bunch of calories.

I'm a big believer in getting rockin' nutrition, but one does not need to eat perfectly "clean" to lose weight...IMO, whole, nutrient dense foods should make up the bulk of one's diet simply from a nutritional standpoint and really feeding your body well...but that doesn't mean you can't have a piece of cake or some pizza or whatever...and where weight management is concerned, that's all pretty irrelevant.
  • bombamy2
    Options
    Thankyou you all for your replies, its making much more sense to me now...watch this space. What is doozie? , sounds naughty ..
  • Kelceybyers
    Kelceybyers Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thankyou you all for your replies, its making much more sense to me now...watch this space. What is doozie? , sounds naughty ..

In a nutshell it's a little bit of heaven that's about 700 calories rofl. :smile:
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I second the eat all the carbs you want part, I've been eating 250-450g per day and am now at a 39lb loss! Plus I'm feeling so satisfied by the foods I eat that I can't imagine over-eating on most days. :) You only need to find a sustainable calorie goal for your own needs.
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I'm 39yo 5'2 currently 160lbs..mfp sets me to 1200 cals a day. I try to stay closer to 1300-1400 cals and 150g carbs. I exercise 5-6 days a week for at least 30 minutes a day. I find that when I don't lose it has everything to do with over estimating how much I'm really burning and underestimating what I'm eating. I have 2 activity trackers that give me 2 very different calories burned after exercise so I now I either take the average or go with the lowest number.
    My carbs I try to keep as healthy as possible. Wheat bread and whole wheat pasta and oatmeal. Some veggies and fruits are hi carb too. Just eat as clean as possible
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Just like the others have said, unless you have a medical reason then you can lose weight eating carbs and still lose weigh (more than likely) eating more than 1200 calories a day. Set your MFP goal to lose 1lb a week and eat back some of your exercise calories (I aim for around 50% of my exercise calories because for most people MFP overestimates the calorie burn, but sometimes I am hungry and just eat all the exercise calories LOL).

I've been a bit off track lately but am trying to get back to logging consistently. Feel free to add me :)