LOL - beware some of the MFP nutrition info!

Options
i feel like I've been trolled! My sugar intake was off the charts after breakfast. I double-checked and the nutrition info for 100g of "fresh mango" showed 115g of sugar and the same for carbs. Pretty sure that's impossible. It made me laugh but it also made me not trust anything without the green tick. The problem is that the green tick mango was measured in cup size, while the "fresh mango" was measured by weight, so that's the one I went for. Does anyone else have any warnings about which seemingly innocent foods are to be avoided while logging?

Replies

• rachfking
    rachfking Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    By the way, half a cup of mango has 11g of sugar, not 115. Perhaps the decimal point was just in the wrong place?
  • ElizabethHanson1
    Options
    Yes, I couldn't find the type of bacon I use since it is not a "brand" but I purchase straight from the butcher so NOTHING is put in it. They tell me it is 650 mg of sodium. Well, no sodium is added to it since I get it straight from the butcher and it only has some natural sodium so I know it is wrong but I can't change it.

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    Yes, I couldn't find the type of bacon I use since it is not a "brand" but I purchase straight from the butcher so NOTHING is put in it. They tell me it is 650 mg of sodium. Well, no sodium is added to it since I get it straight from the butcher and it only has some natural sodium so I know it is wrong but I can't change it.

You mean it hasn't been cured? Search for uncured bacon. There are a number of entries, and they seem to range from 170 to 270 mg sodium for a two-slice serving. Or, if the butcher is actually cutting it himself, you could ask your butcher what part of the pig he's getting the bacon from, and look for a USDA entry for "pork, fresh, belly, raw" or "pork, fresh, backfat, raw."
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    They're all generated by users, so use with caution. Even the " verified" entries have known to have errors.
  • M111111111
    M111111111 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I couldn't figure out why my recipe I built was seemingly high in calories. Finally realized it said there was 1009 calories in 4 garlic cloves
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

Is it cured? Bacon is usually cured (that's why it is bacon and not pork) and curing uses salt.
  • rachfking
    Options
    I couldn't figure out why my recipe I built was seemingly high in calories. Finally realized it said there was 1009 calories in 4 garlic cloves

Ha! Oh yes that one got me once too!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

So it was pork, not bacon...
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    OP, for whole foods I usually type USDA with the search. It will usually bring up accurate entries.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

This explains why there were so many fat people on The Sopranos
  • CTRLplusZ
    CTRLplusZ Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I tried to add cauliflower to a recipe today. It had two choices for a 1 cup serving size, one was 75 cals while the other was 75000. This was on the same food item btw really funky.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I loved the day I entered a "pat" of butter and then looked and I was 16,000 calories over my goal.
  • MamaMc3
    MamaMc3 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I can't remember what it was, but I logged something the other day that came up as 20,000 calories. LOL!
  • rachfking
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    OP, for whole foods I usually type USDA with the search. It will usually bring up accurate entries.

Thanks - good advice. Will do that from now on.