Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Calculationg Burned Calories... Question??

I've been calculating burned calories on MFP over the past couple of weeks and it doesn't could my strength training as burned calories. Should I by counting calories burned from strength training or just from my cardio workout??

Replies

• ranewell
    ranewell Posts: 621 Member
    Someone else suggested that I do both as calories burned. Just enter Strength Training under cardio also
  • mystiedragonfly
    mystiedragonfly Posts: 189 Member
    I was actually just wondering the same thing. I do heavy weight training. It SHOULD be counted, I think.
  • maurilax
    maurilax Posts: 51 Member
    I have had this question too, Im not sure there is any reliable way to measure calories burned from strength training as there are many variables. it is my understanding that heart rate alone is not a good reading to estimate calories burned, outside of cardio workouts.

I generally assume I am burning 2 to 3 times as much during my strength training as i would sitting on my butt, so about 300 calories an hour or so. i think as long as you pick a conservative number you would be ok to add them.

out of curiosity i did a quick search and found the below link,

I have no idea if the process described is accurate at all,

http://www.livestrong.com/article/338469-how-to-calculate-calories-burned-weight-lifting/
  • MrsSki
    MrsSki Posts: 196
    If you look under Cardio, there is a category for strength training, that calculates your calories.
  • From what I have read (I'm not an expert) it is VERY difficult to calculate calories from strength training even if you do it at a pace to raise your heart rate and use a heart rate monitor. From what I understand, you'd have to know your actual muscle mass and the amount of calories exerted by the particular groups of muscle being worked, so a simple formula will not yield an accurate estimate.
  • VanessaFaith
    VanessaFaith Posts: 171 Member
    Thanks all! I guess I'll start adding it under strength training under cardio. Hopefully it's right or at least close!
  • maurilax
    maurilax Posts: 51 Member
    like i said, be conservative when you log it. if you stop seeing results from eating back those calories, readjust the numbers.