long run nutrition

Schwiggity
Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
edited September 28 in Fitness and Exercise
My long run is now far enough to warrant some calorie replacement. What does everyone use? I've been using Hammer gels, but I always feel like I'm going to cut my lip when using them, and they're kind of difficult to consume when running sometimes. What does everyone else use?

Replies

• bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    So far I've done GU. I've had a heck of time opening them, (generally go the ferral dog route and chew into them with my teeth) and I can eat them on the run, but fiddling with the amount of water I must drink directly after sometimes presents a challenge. My husband has eaten the gummy style energy replacements. He said they were hard to chew and almost spilled as he ate them.
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    GU. It makes my mouth sticky, though, and I loathe carrying water with me. So, I suffer.

And, congratulations on getting to this point with your running!
  • corimac
    corimac Posts: 30 Member
    I use whole grain Fig Newtons. It feels like I'm having a treat!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    I try to avoid eating anything while running under the theory that the body will better use the fat as a fuel if it has no choice.

This has worked for me in training runs up to 22 miles. In races I will use something in order to maximize performance.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Your best bet is buy various brands and flavors and see what you like. I find the various flavors and textures are a high personal preference kind of thing. I used to use apple flavor Carbboom, it tasted good enough to put over vanilla ice cream (but didn't have enough sodium for me).

These days I use Clif Bloks margarita flavor. I like that I can take one or two bloks as needed. Also, the pack of 6 (180 calories) fit nicely in my pocket and is usually enough to get me through 18 - 20 miles.
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    I have used GU a couple of times. It tastes like yuck, but it definitely gives you a boost!

I actually tend not to eat anything during the run, same principle as scottb81 stated, but people I run with do like GU. I have one friend who swears by kids fruit snacks -- she said they are easier to get down than a gel, and you can eat them a couple at a time. Also, they fit into the little key-pocket of most running shorts.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    I have used GU a couple of times. It tastes like yuck, but it definitely gives you a boost!

I actually tend not to eat anything during the run, same principle as scottb81 stated, but people I run with do like GU. I have one friend who swears by kids fruit snacks -- she said they are easier to get down than a gel, and you can eat them a couple at a time. Also, they fit into the little key-pocket of most running shorts.

Honestly on my long runs, I just care about running further. I don't care if I burn another 4 ounces of fat by not using something. I'm thinking of trying gummy snacks or shot blocks because it seems a lot easier to just chew something like that then fiddle with a plastic pouch.
  • Lisamarie1226
    Lisamarie1226 Posts: 335 Member
    Your best bet is buy various brands and flavors and see what you like. I find the various flavors and textures are a high personal preference kind of thing. I used to use apple flavor Carbboom, it tasted good enough to put over vanilla ice cream (but didn't have enough sodium for me).

These days I use Clif Bloks margarita flavor. I like that I can take one or two bloks as needed. Also, the pack of 6 (180 calories) fit nicely in my pocket and is usually enough to get me through 18 - 20 miles.

You had me at "margarita flavor" :-) Need to check that out! Getting ready to start preparing for my second half!
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    I tried GU and puked violently as I was pretty dehydrated before I tried it...blew the rest of the run. During runs more than 12 I will carry diluted gatorade with me and drink some every 2-3 miles...this marathon training season I plan to do some experimenting so I don't hit the proverbial wall at mile 20 of this year's marathon. I tried a Cliff kid fruit twist about 3 weeks ago on a 10 miler at about 7 miles into the run. It was an overall crappy run so while my system handled the 70 calories and yummy fruit twists well I didn't notice a big change. I will experiment more every other run this summer until I figure it out...but I do much much much better with foods instead of formulated gels or chews etc...they tend to give me a headache.
This discussion has been closed.