How to choose between Alta and Ray?

Options
Hi! I know non-tracker folks are probably sick of tracker posts, but I don't where else to post this.

The FitBit Alta looks great. I've had a Flex for a pretty long time. I am tempted to upgrade to the Alta, but, with the price, I need to be really sure. I just read about the Misfit Ray, also coming out in the spring. Now, I'm so torn. It is closer to a Flex in functionality, but sooooooo pretty.

The prices are close enough where that isn't a deciding factor. The display on Alta looks perfect for what I would like, but I don't *need* all that, as I was just fine with the Flex's 5 dots. They are both attractive, but Ray looks like jewelry. Jewelry I would actually wear even if it weren't a tracker.

The downsides to me are that FitBit can have weird issues and be frustrating. And, their accessories are disgustingly over-priced. $30 for 3-pack of rubber bands that will probably fail in a few weeks or months? No thanks. And the silver bangle band I would like is $99 on TOP of $130 for the tracker. But, to me, Misfit is a bit of a unknown. I'm already established in FitBit-land. Misfit is a smaller company, but they were just acquired by Fossil. And I can't really tell how big the cylindrical tracker is and I wonder if it would be uncomfortable for sleep. And the display on Alta is tempting. Ray just has one little LED.

Misfit fans, what is the Misfit experience like? Do you like the app? Does it work well? Do you think their current trackers are accurate? Good quality? How is customer service?

Does anyone else have additional thoughts about Alta v. Ray?

I am trying to decide now, rather than waiting for them both to hit the market, because I have a 25% off code for a FitBit tracker and it can be used toward pre-ordering an Alta. But, it is only valid for a few more days. If I decided I definitely don't want the Alta, I could wait for the Ray.

Thanks so much!

Replies

• daremightythings
    daremightythings Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I just learned about the Alta from this post, but Etsy is your friend when it comes to tracker accessories.
  • rattiemomma
    rattiemomma Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Etsy is my shopping soul-mate. :) I've gotten Flex accessories there, but I couldn't guess when or if there would be Alta accessories. Especially something like the stainless steel bangle option. But, I think it would be possible to get Ray accessories very soon. Heck, it looks like it would be easy to make a bunch of your own.
  • hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I really like Misfit. The points system takes some getting used to coming from Fitbit, but in the end I prefer it to just a 10,000 steps goal, especially since part of my activity is biking. A 3 hour ride can still leave me short of my Fitbit goal but is fully accounted for by Misfit. I have been having some problems with my Shine (battery drain) and they are sending me a new one for free. I bought it in September. I did lose my first one but it was because I pulled it off when changing gloves, so not misfits fault. The ray looks nice, though it lacks some of the versatility that attracted me to the Shine. I expect it's relatively thick given the size of the batteries. To summarize, the misfit point system is great but the Fitbit app in general is better, plus with Fitbit you have the web page and can sync with your computer. Connectivity issues and customer service are the same. Fitbit has a better following so you'll have more "friends", potentially, and they have challenges/cheers/jeers. Switching between devices is seemless with Fitbit, not currently automatic with misfit. Of course my favorite pro of misfit is no charging and waterproof.
  • shrutfiord
    shrutfiord Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have a misfit shine, having had a fit bit in the past, I like the misfit better. Sleeker look and it's waterproof. So I don't have to worry about it going through the wash. Plus my 5 year old son likes it because it reminds me of a spaceship.