Sauces....HELP!

Options
I LOVE sauces, like the dipping sauce, ranch, honey mustard and such. What are some good ones to use instead of those, that will still get my craving handled. I also like cream cheese or mayo on my sandwiches, does anyone know of a healthier approach to this?!?

Replies

• RichardWhitman
    RichardWhitman Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Don't eat ANY of those would be my suggestion.
    But mustard (not honey) would be a very good choice.
    I get 6" subs and have them put on a lot of spicy mustard.
    "Mustard and vinegar are the lowest calorie condiment choices: about 5 calories for 2 tbsp of mustard and 0 calories for vinegar"

And no cheese, and definitely no mayo.

This is my pure low calorie approach of course. If you can't stand NOT having one of those, then by all means have some.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    kraft makes fat free dressings that you could use as dips
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    and sargento has reduced fat cheeses also
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Hidden Valley make dry ranch seasoning. It can be mixed with low fat buttermilk, fat free sour cream, or greek yogurt.

Sandwiches - mustard is good. Sometimes I mix a little light mayo with Dijon mustard. It gives it a more intense flavor - a little goes a lot farther.
  • MuchMovement
    MuchMovement Posts: 100
    Options
    Hummus and infused vinegars
  • susancelli928
    Options
    they sell low calorie cream cheese and its really good.. Its like Neufatchel cheese. Also low fat ranch is really good. Make your own honey mustard sauce which is real easy to do. Play around with different ingredients and you would be surprised at what you can concoct.
  • melbaby925
    melbaby925 Posts: 613
    Options
    I traded in fully leaded blue cheese and ranch dressing for Trader Joe's low fat Parmesan Ranch dressing. 2 tbsp for 1.5 grams of fat and 30 cals. Fabulous!

Also...Stubbs BBQ sauce: 2 tbsp serving for 30 cals and only 6 grams of sugar. No high fructose corn syrup or anything junky like that...if that's what you care about.

Hope that helps!
  • mike_littlerock
    mike_littlerock Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    avocado on a sandwich gives a great "fatty" mouth feel and wonderful flavor. We also use it on Fish Taco's.

If making a wrap, you can also substitute Hummus. we found a very tasty roasted pepper flavored one that is very low in calories. (also easy to make your own)
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    For spicy
    Try a spicy wing sauce, there are some that are zero calories, just make sure to watch the sodium
    light mayo or miracle whip is low cal,

For dipping do

Greek yogurt with ranch mix in it... low calorie and tasty
    Greek yogurt also works beautifully as sour cream, one TBS is about 7 calories where as a table spoon of sour cream is 45 calories.

Vinagar is calorie free
    Mustard

BBQ sauce thinned with water.. for chicken and stuff. goes further and you still get the taste

You have to experiment.
  • briabner
    briabner Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Well you can always do low fat or fat free ranch and cream cheese. And mustard is a huge thing for me, I love it. In my fridge right now I have about 6 different kinds of mustard.
  • APirc
    APirc Posts: 6
    Options
    Laughing cow cheese wedges - light blue cheese, chipotle, garlic, they're all good on a sandwich! Agree with the girl below about Stubbs bbq sauce - delish!
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Hummus is a good substitute for a sandwhich or bagel spread, or avocado-but then again I hate mayo. Calorie wise mustard is one of the best, low calorie choices, and if you love dipping sauces (which I do) try and stay away from the creamy sauces which are usually more fattening and try barbeque if that's something you enjoy at all. If you really like the creamy sauces like ranch etc, then see if there is a lowfat/low cal version.
  • mussmom
    mussmom Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Laughing Cow cheese wedge as a spread for sandwiches. They have a variety of flavors and only 35 calories per wedge. Also, I get the 100 cal. snack pack of Tribe Hummus at Costco and use 1/4 or 1/2 on my bread instead of mayo. I have mixed Great Value Spicy Mustard with 1/4 cup Fage Total Greek Yogurt to use as dressing on salads. Also, there is a brand called Walden Farms that makes Zero everything dressings-Bacon Ranch, Ranch, etc... It sure is great when you really want dressing. I know it probably isn't super great for you, but it sure beats all the calories in real Ranch. They also make jams and jellies-I found them at Fred Meyer! Good luck! You will do it this go round!!!
  • merB89
    merB89 Posts: 122
    Options
    hmmm, I've found that the only way to take care of a craving is actually eating the food. So, I don't think you should go with out those things (or cut anything completely out of your diet for that matter). Just start having half of what you used to have. Hellman's light mayo is 50 cals a tbsp. I personally find that a tablespoon is too much, so half of that is 25 cals. You can definitely fit that into your daily allowance. Find other things to make your sandwiches more flavorful: pickles, jalapenos, peppers, banana peppers. Hummus and avocado are great on sandwiches too! and give you that creaminess that mayo and cream cheese do
  • Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I love condiments as well. My guilt-free favs:

low fat veganaise
    tree of life ketchup
    tree of life mustard
    tofutti sour cream
    linda's vegan honey mustard salad dressing
  • ceeceestyles
    Options
    OMG WOW...Thank you everyone for the amazing ideas! Looks like I have some shopping and mixing to do. You are all amazing!:heart:
  • kusosama
    kusosama Posts: 3
    Options
    I traded in fully leaded blue cheese and ranch dressing for Trader Joe's low fat Parmesan Ranch dressing. 2 tbsp for 1.5 grams of fat and 30 cals. Fabulous!

Also...Stubbs BBQ sauce: 2 tbsp serving for 30 cals and only 6 grams of sugar. No high fructose corn syrup or anything junky like that...if that's what you care about.

Hope that helps!
    I'm in total agreement. Both of those are amazing. I also recommend as much dry herb/seasoning you can add for flavor is better because it adds 0 calories but a lot of flavor.