am i doing something wrong?

Options
Ok so i'm new and only on day 2 but I have an allowance of 1200 calories and am eating 500 calories less than I should be but my sugars are always over. I eat alot of fruit, maybe 3 pieces of fruit a day and veggies with my dinner. should I be cutting down to reduce the sugar? Should I be eating something else in order to up my calories but not contain sugar?

Replies

• TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Bump!!

I am for the most part always over my sugar too! It's like it's impossible to keep it under!! LoL
  • 21katykat01
    Options
    You should be trying to make your calorie goal; the fact your 500 under could actually slow, if not halt, any weight loss. I'd try upping it with healthy foods, maybe some lean protein (chicken, ham) or things like nuts, or a bit of long grain rice or pasta.

You're doing great though and keep at it! We just don't want you to be doing without the energy your body needs :)

xo
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Why are you eating 500 calories fewer than your goal of 1200? That means you're only eating 700 calories a day? You need to NET at least the 1200.

The fruit will put you over on the sugar. Theoretically, that's probably not a bad thing in itself, but 3 pieces of fruit a day means that you're not eating other things you may need, especially at a 700- calorie level.

Up your calories eating good, whole foods, lots of protein etc.
  • 01elizabeth59
    Options
    You need to eat your calories. Fresh fruits and vegies are great!
  • Chrissy2627
    Options
    My sugars are also always over and I eat a lot of fruits and vegetables with my meals.
  • Jillian1104
    Jillian1104 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel any better, I'm on day 50 and I'm almost over my sugar. The best tip that I've gotten so far is to be concerned mainly with the processed sugar. As far as natural sugars, I try not to concern myself with them too much.

Hope that helps!

Also, as far as eating only 700 cals or so day, be careful as your body might slip into starvation mode which is extremely counterproductive!
  • Katebowerman
    Options
    # 1. Stop eating 500 calories less than you're supposed to eat. Unless you are being medically supervised, there is no way you're getting the nutrients you need. In addition, your body will "hold" weight and refuse to lose because you are under the "starvation" line.

# 2. I have found that this program/app does not differentiate between the types of carbs = good vs. bad (simple vs complex sugars). Fruit will send you over the limit in a heart beat. So, as a result, I take the carb read-out on this site "with a grain of salt."
  • aleciahuber
    Options
    I'm a big fruit eater too and I'm always over my on my sugars also. The average person should eat about 9 total fruits and veggies combined so the way I look at it, if the sugars are coming from fruits then I won't worry about it, but if it's coming from yogurt or fruit , juices then I try to but the diet, low sugar drinks and yogurt.

I hope that helps!
  • melbaby925
    melbaby925 Posts: 613
    Options
    You should really not eat that far below your calorie requirements - it's going to cause you to not lose so much weight. Plus, if you're working out, you just eat to your 1200 cals and not over. You'll still lose!

Also, check out the glycemic index for lower sugar fruit choices. Lower sugar = lower carb cravings, so this is a good thing.

Good luck!
  • babydull
    babydull Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Agreed with the above sentiments. It'd be good if you opened up your food diary so we can work out what you're actually eating besides the fruit and veg, and where you could replace sugars etc.
  • happyhealthysteph
    Options
    Thanks for all your messages. I'm not so great with protein, not a meat lover and very picky with fish. I don't know how I manage to be 500 under, it amazes me as I thought I ate like a horse! Guess I need to stop worrying so much about the sugar and eat abit more to make up my calories! Thanks!
  • BarbelleBaby
    Options
    You can look at what makes your sugars so high by looking at the breakdown, maybe reduce anything that looks extremely high in sugar and swap it for something high in what you eat less of. Keep eating fruit by all means, just swap around which types of fruit you have perhaps - variety is always good anyway :)
  • rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options
    IMO, you should be getting at least 1200 and I wouldn't worry about the sugars that come in fruit and veggies. Even whole grain bread packs a lot of natural sugars. I ignore them for the most part unless I've eaten something I know I shouldn't have, cappuccino, desserts, etc
  • taurus39
    taurus39 Posts: 26
    Options
    This is a stupid question but where do you see your sugar intake?
  • Bristle82
    Bristle82 Posts: 100
    Options
    In fruits they are natural sugars and the right kind to eat... 700 calories a day is not good though. You need to eat your allowance or you'll burn out especially if you are exercising on top of that!

Keep positive :)
  • happyhealthysteph
    Options
    go to the food tab then select settings and you can choose up to 5 nutrients to track
  • rockstar714
    Options
    A lot of fruit has a lot of sugar, that can bring your sugar totals up.
    I'm having the same problem, but not with sugar. I'm getting full on little food. But eating good fats (like raw almonds, no salt), more veggies, more lean meat, yogurt will help raise the calories but will still be healthy foods.
  • vthomeschoolmom
    vthomeschoolmom Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I disagree with the posters who say you have to eat the full 1200 calories. If you are sated and eating all those fruits and vegetables, you should be fine. The concern would be are you getting enough protein. If you don't care for meat, beans and rice together make a complete protein as does soy products.

Starvation mode is a complete myth. But the equation is still one of energy in vs energy out. It is a closed system, the energy has to come from somewhere. http://fattyfightsback.blogspot.com/2009/03/mtyhbusters-starvation-mode.html

If you have ever seen the folk that do fasting diets, you will note that if you eat NOTHING, you will still lose weight. I, personally, would not chose this route since it does not address the underlying habit change that is necessary to stay slim. I would likely go back to eating in my bad old way and gain it all back! But it is interesting to note that fasters do lose weight as do anorexics.

If you are eating fruits and vegetables, and taking a multivitamin, you don't need to worry about your micro nutrients. All you have to do is make sure you are getting SOME healthy fats as well as sufficient protein, especially if you are exercising. You need protein to repair muscles and build lean muscle mass, which is VERY good for weight loss/ metabolism boost.
  • happyhealthysteph
    Options
    I think because I am carb crazy and have cut back dramatically, think I need to realise that I can eat it in healthy measures and try to introduce more protein in my diet especially as I am exercising every other day. I don't feel hungry even though I am 500 calories less, I just don't feel bloated like I used to when eating way too much pasta. Although I will keep an eye on the calories and make sure that I do eat the 1200 calories a day, after all I do want to lose weight! Thanks for all the support and advise!
  • janpat47
    janpat47 Posts: 2
    Options
    I do the same thing...I love fruit and eat a lot of it...love veggies too, but fruit is always so interesting and it is summer when everything is available and wonderful. It is one thing to be eating a lot of candy and desserts and get too much sugar, empty calories...but just seems wrong that fruit sugars count the same. Of course, fruit adds the benefit of great vitamins and fiber...can't get those from candy/desserts! It is eye-opening tho to watch the sugar add up just by eating fruit 3 x per day. :(

Completely agree with one of the other replies - by going under the allotted calories per day, you are likely sabotaging yourself...body getting inadequate nutrition goes into "starvation" mode and hangs on tightly to the calories. You don't want that!