What is the best kind of milk?

Options

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Personally, I drink skim because I prefer the taste.

Haha. Me too. It would feel like having dessert drinking creamy milk. It doesn't seem like the kind of thing you should drink regulary.

Anytime I drink whole milk I have flashbacks to hot summer days during my childhood drinking milk that wasn't completely cold. It left a coating in my mouth. Skim is just more refreshing. When 2% came out, we switched to that instead of whole milk. Recently my mom went back to whole milk because she needs the calories (she is 95 and doesn't eat as much as she should). It has its place for anyone who needs or has room for the fat and calories.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Some recent articles on cow's milk that I found interesting:
    http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/oct/09/low-fat-whole-milk-usda-dietary-guidelines
    http://qz.com/405498/the-case-for-drinking-whole-milk/
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2015/11/18/whole-milk-vs-low-fat-dairy.aspx
    I drink/use 2% milk and to satisfy my chocolate craving and add a little extra calcium I drink dark chocolate almond milk.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    @kimny72 What is a creamer? I don't think they sell those here

I'm still not 100% sure what creamer is. I'm in Australia.
    For taste and macros I prefer cows milk, of which I used to drink a ton. I've recently switched to vanilla almond milk, (not the unsweetened one which tastes like water with teeny hint of almond flavour...) in my tea. It's $3.80 for 1 Litre. The only reason I switched from cow to Almond is because I constantly
    had litlle pimple like bumps on my chin.. A few days of no cows milk and they have completely disappeared.

Just pick the one that fits into your taste and calorie/macro goal.

Creamer - I am not a fan, so this is not going to be objective.
    It's a substitute for cream to use in your coffee, made from vegetable oil and often corn syrup. I believe it was originally developed as a cheap alternative to cream or half-and-half that could be set out in little individual half-ounce sealed plastic containers in diners and restaurants without refrigeration.
    It leaves a nasty oily film on top of your coffee (see what I mean about lack of objectivity :wink: )
    Even the plain kind often has some kind of sweetener in it, and I can't abide anything sweet in my coffee, so that's a no-go.
    In recent decades, flavored creamer has become rampant in the U.S. ("french vanilla," "hazelnut," "Bailey's Irish cream," etc.). I can't really offer an opinion, since as I said, I can't stand anything sweet in my coffee. But I imagine they're all pretty vile :smiley:

Aah yes I've seen those little containers in restaurants. But never seen any creamer type thing in the supermarket.

In U.S. supermarkets there are whole shelves next to the milk and other dairy products devoted to creamers in cartons -- pints, quarts, even half-gallons I think. It boggles my mind how people use up that much of the stuff. I mean, I sometimes buy a pint of half-and-half that I mainly use in coffee, but I generally end up adding a little to my cereal, etc., so that I can use it up before it goes bad. And that's the ultra-pasteurized half-and-half. Of course, since creamer is not made from milk or cream, it's probably got a pretty long shelf-life. It's probably only sold in the refrigerated section for marketing purposes--like the way they decided back in the 1940s to leave dried egg out of cake mixes, so the homemaker would feel like she was making a nice fresh cake by adding her own eggs.
  • chastity0921
    chastity0921 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Recently, I have been taking the Fair Life milk, but I'm not sure if it is available in AU/UK. It has more protein per cup and no lactose. There is nothing wrong with skim/skimmed milk-- close to the same vitamin/mineral content-- macronutrients are different. And, I honestly don't think we NEED it, since we are the only mammals who drink it this late in life, but I still like the taste. I try to stay away from rBST (although the FDA says it is harmless), and I often think about bloody cow udders and infections. Most cows are artificially inseminated, so I'm not sure rape is an issue :neutral:

It is much easier to fit skim milk into my calorie count, but I would rather have full-fat dairy products. :smiley:
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

For taste and macros I prefer cows milk, of which I used to drink a ton. I've recently switched to vanilla almond milk, (not the unsweetened one which tastes like water with teeny hint of almond flavour...) in my tea. It's $3.80 for 1 Litre. The only reason I switched from cow to Almond is because I constantly
    had litlle pimple like bumps on my chin.. A few days of no cows milk and they have completely disappeared.

It's a substitute for cream to use in your coffee, made from vegetable oil and often corn syrup. I believe it was originally developed as a cheap alternative to cream or half-and-half that could be set out in little individual half-ounce sealed plastic containers in diners and restaurants without refrigeration.
    It leaves a nasty oily film on top of your coffee (see what I mean about lack of objectivity :wink: )
    Even the plain kind often has some kind of sweetener in it, and I can't abide anything sweet in my coffee, so that's a no-go.
    In recent decades, flavored creamer has become rampant in the U.S. ("french vanilla," "hazelnut," "Bailey's Irish cream," etc.). I can't really offer an opinion, since as I said, I can't stand anything sweet in my coffee. But I imagine they're all pretty vile :smiley:

Actually there are many different types of creamers here in the US, and no they are not all oily (in fact, I don't think most of them are oil based), and no they don't mostly contain corn-syrup.

A creamer is just a product specifically packaged to put in your coffee or tea. The Coffeemate Cinnamon creamer I currently have in my fridge contains Milk, Heavy Cream, Sugar, and Natural Flavors. It is 35 cals per serving.

The last time, I got Trader Joes Coconut Creamer, I don't remember the ingredients, but it was coconut milk based.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

edit: also, also, you can make badass italian sodas with creamer. how could anyone hate this?
    cocktail2.png

OMG, I never would have thought of that! Now I know what to do when I get to the expiration date but I haven't finished the bottle yet :heart:
  • HappyAnna2014
    HappyAnna2014 Posts: 214 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Soy milk!! I <3 soy milk. I was raised on skim milk, and I drank tons of it. Which was a good thing, since I like to ride horses, and as many times as I've been dumped by a horse or fallen off, I've never broken or even fractured a bone. :smile: I started drinking soy milk, using it as coffee creamer, etc. about 5+ years ago. I love the taste and the fact that no cows suffered so I can drink milk. :smile: I think it is a little more expensive than cow's milk, but worth it for me.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Cow's milk makes my stomach gurgle. It's not a lactose thing - it's the casein (milk protein). I drink almond milk instead. I love it.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

Actually there are many different types of creamers here in the US, and no they are not all oily (in fact, I don't think most of them are oil based), and no they don't mostly contain corn-syrup.

A creamer is just a product specifically packaged to put in your coffee or tea. The Coffeemate Cinnamon creamer I currently have in my fridge contains Milk, Heavy Cream, Sugar, and Natural Flavors. It is 35 cals per serving.

The last time, I got Trader Joes Coconut Creamer, I don't remember the ingredients, but it was coconut milk based.

OK. As I said, I don't put sweet stuff in my coffee, so I don't have any experience with the flavored version. I guess since people call it creamer, I assumed it was just flavored versions of the unflavored creamer, which I did use years ago until I decided if that was my only option, I'd rather have it black. And in those days, they were always oil-based and, to me, pretty nasty. Sorry for assuming two things called by the same name and used for the same purpose were the same. Still sounds awful to me--I really can't stand sugar in my coffee. I'd rather put salt in it.
  • Sutnak
    Sutnak Posts: 227 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Human milk, by a wide margin. Failing that, I use whole milk.

Soy/Almond/etc "milk" is more or less useless, but not bad when trying to use as least calories as possible in a mix, but still get a little more flavor than plain water.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Whole milk. Good amount of protein and fat, and I steam it to add to my espresso. It tastes like love. It's what I'm used to and now anything less than whole tastes... empty and unsatisfying. I love coconut milk for some cooking, mainly in curries, and if you've never had whipped coconut cream with fresh pineapple and cherries, you are missing out.
  • FerrisW
    FerrisW Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Another New Zealander here!

Have you tried Calci-trim milk (the yellow top, right next to the green and blue tops in the chiller)? It's trim milk with added calcium. If you're worried about getting enough calcium, and you want to stick with dairy, that could be a good option, and I think it's about the same cost as trim milk.

Non-dairy milks are definitely available in supermarkets here! My local Countdown and New World both stock it in the same aisle that you'd find peanut butter, coffee, tea etc. There are lots and lots of alternatives- I like So Good Almond & Coconut milk. I like the taste, and I never used up the regular milk before it went off. I can buy some cartons and keep it in the cupboard so I never run out (the carton I bought on Saturday has an unopened shelf life of August). If you haven't tried non-dairy milk before, I'd recommend trying unsweetened versions first. I thought I hated soy and rice milks the first time I tried them, until I realised it was the sweetness I was hating.
  • beautifulsparkles
    beautifulsparkles Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    FerrisW wrote: »
    Another New Zealander here!

Have you tried Calci-trim milk (the yellow top, right next to the green and blue tops in the chiller)? It's trim milk with added calcium. If you're worried about getting enough calcium, and you want to stick with dairy, that could be a good option, and I think it's about the same cost as trim milk.

Non-dairy milks are definitely available in supermarkets here! My local Countdown and New World both stock it in the same aisle that you'd find peanut butter, coffee, tea etc. There are lots and lots of alternatives- I like So Good Almond & Coconut milk. I like the taste, and I never used up the regular milk before it went off. I can buy some cartons and keep it in the cupboard so I never run out (the carton I bought on Saturday has an unopened shelf life of August). If you haven't tried non-dairy milk before, I'd recommend trying unsweetened versions first. I thought I hated soy and rice milks the first time I tried them, until I realised it was the sweetness I was hating.

Thanks, that is all very useful.

I was raised on yellow top milk. A nurse I knows says that drinking the milk with extra calcium is not necessary once you reach a certain age, unless you are pregnant/breastfeeding. We get the green top now, I think its 1-2%.

Thanks for the tip about trying alternative milk unsweetened.

I have looked at the alternative milks on the countdown site. 1 or 2 of them cost the same as regular milk, and some of them are up to 5 times more expensive!!! Crazy.
  • tosi1312
    tosi1312 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Tofuli wrote: »
    Cow's milk in general is not needed, and skimmed milk is one of the most ridiculous food products out there (I don't mean it in a rude way, most people buy into it because it is so heavily marketed).

We do not 'need' anything from cows, cows milk is the product of a cow that has just given birth to a baby and is producing milk to feed its young. It is (in my opinion) the most unethical animal product out there because it involves the artificial insemination (basically rape) of a cow, the slavery of that cow whilst it is milked, then the murder of its baby for veal and then the murder of the dairy cow after a couple of years when it no longer produces enough milk to be profitable.

As for the environment all animal products are worse for the planet by a huge extent because it involves inefficient use of energy because we grow plants to feed to animals but get less calories out of such because the animals waste a lot of energy through respiration. This means much larger quantities of plants need to be grown than if we ate the plants directly, and is fuelling huge deforestation to grow crops and to graze cattle (animal agriculture is the biggest cause of rainforest deforestation).

I say skim milk is even worse because to cause all this and then to just get rid of the vast majority of the product and just drink what is basically water filtered through a cow is insane.

Try some plant milks and see what you like. They don't taste like cows milk but you adjust to the taste and its great because it gives you a range of different flavours for different dishes. Soy is best for protein and richness, almond is best for its neutral flavour and low calories. I like soy for protein smoothies and creamy sauces, and I like almond for cereal and for drinking on its own as a refreshing drink. Oat, hemp and rice are all great too.

There's no such thing as plant milks. Milk is liquid produced by the mammary glands of mammals.
  • tosi1312
    tosi1312 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I use the oat type, referred to in my country as oat drink. Works just as well as cow's milk in cerial / oatmeal. However, if one wants to drink it plainly one better get the chocolate type, which by the way tastes very good. I would vote for replacing the use of cow's milk with other alternatives such as the oat type, only advantages in sight.
  • Tofuli
    Tofuli Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Cow's milk in general is not needed, and skimmed milk is one of the most ridiculous food products out there (I don't mean it in a rude way, most people buy into it because it is so heavily marketed).

We do not 'need' anything from cows, cows milk is the product of a cow that has just given birth to a baby and is producing milk to feed its young. It is (in my opinion) the most unethical animal product out there because it involves the artificial insemination (basically rape) of a cow, the slavery of that cow whilst it is milked, then the murder of its baby for veal and then the murder of the dairy cow after a couple of years when it no longer produces enough milk to be profitable.

As for the environment all animal products are worse for the planet by a huge extent because it involves inefficient use of energy because we grow plants to feed to animals but get less calories out of such because the animals waste a lot of energy through respiration. This means much larger quantities of plants need to be grown than if we ate the plants directly, and is fuelling huge deforestation to grow crops and to graze cattle (animal agriculture is the biggest cause of rainforest deforestation).

I say skim milk is even worse because to cause all this and then to just get rid of the vast majority of the product and just drink what is basically water filtered through a cow is insane.

Try some plant milks and see what you like. They don't taste like cows milk but you adjust to the taste and its great because it gives you a range of different flavours for different dishes. Soy is best for protein and richness, almond is best for its neutral flavour and low calories. I like soy for protein smoothies and creamy sauces, and I like almond for cereal and for drinking on its own as a refreshing drink. Oat, hemp and rice are all great too.

The rest of the vegan propaganda aside, do you seriously believe the bolded statement?

Where do you think butter and heavy cream come from?

Propaganda? Propaganda would be for my own good, I am not vegan for myself I am vegan for bigger issues. And yes, I know they make other dairy products from it but seriously what pointless reasoning to drink something if you're just going to remove most of it before you drink it anyway.

• Tofuli
    Tofuli Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    tosi1312 wrote: »

There's no such thing as plant milks. Milk is liquid produced by the mammary glands of mammals.

Its just named milk like we have plant based cheeses/milks etc. Not in a biological sense you're right, but it isn't really important what you call it as long as it doesn't hurt anyone to produce it :smile:

• FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    tosi1312 wrote: »

Its just named milk like we have plant based cheeses/milks etc. Not in a biological sense you're right, but it isn't really important what you call it as long as it doesn't hurt anyone to produce it :smile:

Coconuts are furry and produce milk.

So, therefore, they are mammals.

Think about it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Don't really drink milk and I prefer my coffee and tea black. I use milk in cooking/baking sometimes and eat dairy (cottage cheese, greek yogurt, butter, cheese). I prefer dairy from cow's vs. a substitute, in part because of the protein, mostly because of the taste.

I grew up with skim and 1-2% so tend to prefer that, and I'm never low on fat, so have no need to add whole fat versions for that reason (and would rather save my fat calories for cheese or butter than substitute whole fat cottage cheese when I like the lowfat or skim just as much).